Department Opening

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
I have a question, I hope someone can help me out.

I am currently an on-site IT Support Technician for two manufacturing facilities(Tier1). Recently one of the network engineers, at the company I work, resigned leaving an opening(at DataCenter). Our current Senior Network Engineer and I have really bonded since I made my interest in networking known at the beginning of this year. I have acquired A+, Net+ and CCENT since January, and I just started my CCNA Studies. Other than these certs, I have very little experience with networking. Only working with our Senior Engineer on stuff.

He is telling me that I should apply for the opening when it is posted, but I do not have some of the required experience or certifications yet. He has told me that the Director could care less about a CCNA certificate, he states, "We can train anyone". I've hit a fork in the road. Do I apply knowing full well they probably think I have more knowledge than I actually do, leaving me at risk of losing my job once promoted? Or, do I not apply and miss out on the promotion I have been waiting for?

If I take the job, how would I apply? Do I need to send him a resume, even though I already work in the department? The job posting says "Apply To ______ _________" (Manager of Network Operations)

Below is the job posting:
Job Title:
Network Engineer I
Summary:
The Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability and integrity of in-house voice, data, video, and wireless network services. This is
achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization. In
addition, the Network Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network
hardware, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a
timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training where required. Responsibilities Strategy & Planning • Collaborate with the Senior
Network Engineer to assess near- and long-term network capacity needs. • Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network
configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records. Acquisition & Deployment • Assist in the design and deploy company LANs,
WANs, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, hubs, switches, UPSs, and other hardware. • Conduct research on network
products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry. • Oversee new and existing
equipment, hardware, and software upgrades. Operational Management • Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation
for fulfilling business objectives and processes. • Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed. • Oversee
installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices. • Ensure
network connectivity of all servers, workstations, telephony equipment, fax machines, and other network appliances. • Manage servers,
including database, e-mail, print, voice, and backup servers and their associated operating systems and software. • Monitor and test network
performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
Requirements:
Formal Education & Certification • University degree in computer science or electrical engineering and/or 2 years equivalent work experience.
• Certifications in CCNA. Knowledge & Experience • Proven experience and success with LAN, WAN, Voice design and implementation. •
Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices. •
Knowledge of telephony systems, including Shoretel. • Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet
standards. • Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience. • Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits. •
Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives. Personal Attributes • Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication
skills. • Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required. • Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language. • Highly
self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail. • Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities. • Able to effectively prioritize tasks
in a high-pressure environment. • Strong customer service orientation. • Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Nothing ventured is nothing gained.

Apply for it!! What's the worse they say? No? If it says to apply to the Network manager than i would contact him/her and ask what he/she prefers? If all they want is your resume then email it and state your interest in the position.

If the Senior Engineer thinks you should apply, then honestly, apply. Best of luck!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the senior engineer has confidence in you then you've got it. Go for it!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Monkerz:

Quick story here

A friend of my applied for a Data Center job just because he had a friend working in the same area. His friend told his boss that the guy was a business major and had very little IT experience, so the boss brings him in and tells Dan's soon to be co worker friend we will see if he fits in.

That last part I wrote is everything. SEE IF HE FITS IN. You fit in so apply for the job man. Don't let an opportunity go by because you think you are under killed. Everyone is underskilled when they start a new job. Nobody walks in and owns the place, that's just not realistic.

O and back to the story. The boss asked my friend Dan if he knew one layer of the OSI model and my buddy said what's that lol. OBTW he makes 90+ now lol
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Monkerz wrote: »
    "We can train anyone".

Sounds a lot like my mindset. You obviously have the desire to learn. Your Senior Engineer sees that, and that's why he's is coercing you to go for it. He knows training you will be relatively easy because you WANT to learn it, and we love teaching/educating newcomers who show that initiative and drive to learn.

Like I've said before, when I am interviewing people, I am primarily looking for someone with GOOD people/soft skills, and a desire to learn. I can teach a team of monkeys to manage a network, but I can't teach them people skills. Dynamik's signature holds a lot of truth.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cablegod wrote: »
    Sounds a lot like my mindset. You obviously have the desire to learn. Your Senior Engineer sees that, and that's why he's is coercing you to go for it. He knows training you will be relatively easy because you WANT to learn it, and we love teaching/educating newcomers who show that initiative and drive to learn.

Like I've said before, when I am interviewing people, I am primarily looking for someone with GOOD people/soft skills, and a desire to learn. I can teach a team of monkeys to manage a network, but I can't teach them people skills. Dynamik's signature holds a lot of truth.

I wish I had a manager like you. Keep up the good fight!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    How would I go about applying? Do I just send him an email asking what his preferred method of applying is?

Thank you for your support!!!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Def agree with N2IT hah. Monkerz definitely apply. Its easier for them to hire in house and you'll definitely get preferential treatment because they get to retain you longer :).

Added:
    How would I go about applying? Do I just send him an email asking what his preferred method of applying is?

Thank you for your support!!!

I'd say express your interest to your senior engineer first, then proceed from there.
    I'd say express your interest to your senior engineer first, then proceed from there.

I've been speaking to him since Tuesday, the day our other engineer submitted his LoR. I just sent the manager an email expressing my interest in the position and asking his preferred method of applying.

The only bad thing about talking to the manager is, I've made his life a living hell for the last few months. My boss asked me to crack down on some of the violations happening within the plants. I did, but some of the stuff I found should have been caught by NetOps, thus making him look bad and putting me on his shitlist.
    His reply:
    Chris,

Send me a resume. I am on vacation next week so I will talk with everyone that applies the following week.

A CCNA is not required but I desire to obtain one is. I am looking for someone who wants to learn, doesn't mind working long hours if needed, and travel is often required.

I look forward to getting your resume and speaking with you about the position.

Thanks,

Steve
    Do it!
    If the senior engineer is going to recommend you then you're obviously one up on any other applicant. Worse that can happen is that you don't get it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Absolutely do it! If not, where is this place, and is the job still open, if so ill apply LOL j/k
    !
    I spoke to our senior engineer this morning. He mentioned that there are only two candidates that come close to being qualified for the posisition, one was me. He also said that he doubts the other guy will even want the job because frequent travel is required and he wants no part of that.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spoke to our senior engineer this morning. He mentioned that there are only two candidates that come close to being qualified for the posisition, one was me. He also said that he doubts the other guy will even want the job because frequent travel is required and he wants no part of that.

Perfect. I read the bit about the shitlist lol. In all honesty, it makes you that much better of a candidate having being able to find what you found. It shows you're meticulous when it comes to tasks and given you already know the environment (the workplace as a whole), it puts you one step ahead of any competitor for the position.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    sounds like a fantastic opportunity. i'll be rooting for you.
    WIP: IPS exam
    Thanks guys!! I'll be on vacation next week, but I'll let you know what happens when I return!
    You and the manager on vacation the same week?
    Hopefully you'll come back to some good news.
    earweed wrote: »
    You and the manager on vacation the same week?

I currently work for IT Services, he is the Network Operations Manager. I report to the IT Services (Help Desk, IT Purchasing, Diagnostic Tooling) Manager.

But I did find that kind of funny that we schedule vacation for the same week.
  • donnamariedonnamarie Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

It has been my understanding that when students passed certifications and don't have experience then companies know that. I realize you have the skills and knowledge to do the job you have and have the head knowledge of the areas you certified in. So if they find that you are the person that can work well with the Networking Team, then by all means apply. It could give you more experience. You will need to forward a resume for it will have to be seen by all parties involved. Maybe in your cover letter you could state the accomplishments you achieve in your current position after getting certified in the CompTIA's and how that shows your williness to achieve a higher standard of work ethnics.

Go for it. The only way one get gain more knowledge is by actually doing it. Best of luck.

donnamarie :)
  • donnamariedonnamarie Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    P.S. from donnamarie

I saw networking charts for sale on Javvin | TCP/IP Quick Guide They look very informative and I'm sure they could be a great study guide.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Good luck! I'd love to see an opportunitiy like that come around in my office. You sound like the most probable candidate from what I've read. This could be your big break!
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    Alright, I am waiting till Monday to hear from the Network Operations manager about my resume and the filling the position. I was just wondering about salary negotiation. If I do get the job, I would have to move 100 miles to Memphis, TN. My rent would double as well as other costs of living.

That being said, what is the average salary range for an entry network engineer? I was told between 45k - 50k. If so, that would be a 22% - 35% raise from my salary now. What should I expect to be offered during negotiations? If I am moving, I would like to ensure I can afford to live in a nicer neighborhood where crime is low.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, I have an interview tomorrow at 9:30am. Wish me luck!!!
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Well, I have an interview tomorrow at 9:30am. Wish me luck!!!

nice! i definitely have my fingers crossed for you.
    WIP: IPS exam
    The interview went awesome! He had already heard very good things about me. :)

He kept slipping up in his sentences when referring to the opening. Like, "When you start, we will send you off to a Shoretel boot-camp for training, I mean if you get the job. :)"

I will find out by Friday if I got it.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The interview went awesome! He had already heard very good things about me. :)

He kept slipping up in his sentences when referring to the opening. Like, "When you start, we will send you off to a Shoretel boot-camp for training, I mean if you get the job. :)"

Awesome!

They did the same at my current place of employment. Brought me in the data center and said "they will be your baby........uh, if you take the job" icon_lol.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Sounds about how my last interview went. Two days later I had an offer.

congrats
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shouldn't it be "that I got it?" icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be "that I got it?" icon_lol.gif

Yeah, just too excited to type I suppose. Thanks guys, for the support!!!
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    what happened did you get the job? post the update.
    what happened did you get the job? post the update.

Still waiting for the call. Trying to stay busy so I don't think about it too much. :)