MSCE - self paced or elearning

riderjotriderjot ■□□□□□□□□□ Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am looking to take the exam but I am not sure which guide to start with... the self paced training kit or the MS elearning course one...

I am skeptical that the elearning will not cover everything...

What do you guys think?

Comments

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter ■■■■■■■■□□ Posts: 5,031Inactive Imported Users ■■■■■■■■□□
  • riderjotriderjot ■□□□□□□□□□ Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Why not both?

    Save money I suppose.

    Would it be best go get both?

    Has anyone used the elearning material with good success? or was it also necessary to also get the book
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter ■■■■■■■■□□ Posts: 5,031Inactive Imported Users ■■■■■■■■□□
    riderjot wrote: »
    Save money I suppose.

    Would it be best go get both?

    Has anyone used the elearning material with good success? or was it also necessary to also get the book


    I don't know your experience level and I can only speculate since I do not have my MCSE. I have used the elearning material and it was decent.
  • riderjotriderjot ■□□□□□□□□□ Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I don't know your experience level and I can only speculate since I do not have my MCSE. I have used the elearning material and it was decent.

    I would say I have a basic understanding of Win 2003 Server and this material would only benefit me....

    My concern right is would a combination of practice exams + elearning cover the materials needed to pass the test...

    From your experience with other tests would you say this combination would suffice?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter ■■■■■■■■□□ Posts: 5,031Inactive Imported Users ■■■■■■■■□□
    riderjot wrote: »
    I would say I have a basic understanding of Win 2003 Server and this material would only benefit me....

    My concern right is would a combination of practice exams + elearning cover the materials needed to pass the test...

    From your experience with other tests would you say this combination would suffice?

    Like I said, I don't have the MCSE (nor do I plan on getting it). There are plenty of people who have passed with just the books and such. If you can afford the Elearning material or if you get off the back off a truck then there is no reason why you wouldn't use it. Maybe someone with an MCSX can chime in here.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Posts: 428Banned
    hello, experience counts a lot, do you have any work experience? while you are studying try and get work experience involving the stuff you learn it will be much easier, also runs as much as virtual labs as you can and practice and practice. MCSE is a practical qualification and it is not so much about the theory it is all about the hands on stuff, so practice and practice in the windows server 2003.
    Im a depressed loser :sad: none wants me.
  • earweedearweed ■■■■■■■■■□ Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the elearning you're referring to is the Microsoft IT Academy stuff it has helped a lot for me while studying for the MCITP:EA. I can't speak for the MCSE.
    If you don't have experience with Server 2003 you better get Virtual PC or Sun Virtual Box or VMWare workstation and get some hands on practice with it no matter what learning path you take.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • riderjotriderjot ■□□□□□□□□□ Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello, experience counts a lot, do you have any work experience? while you are studying try and get work experience involving the stuff you learn it will be much easier, also runs as much as virtual labs as you can and practice and practice. MCSE is a practical qualification and it is not so much about the theory it is all about the hands on stuff, so practice and practice in the windows server 2003.

    I read about the practicality of the test on the forum and setup a VMware workstation with win 2003 server, so in terms of the lab setup, I've got that started...

    In terms of work experience, I wouldn't be using a lot of the material... so that's the down side...

    it doesn't sound like a lot of people have used the elearning program from msft IT
  • riderjotriderjot ■□□□□□□□□□ Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    If the elearning you're referring to is the Microsoft IT Academy stuff it has helped a lot for me while studying for the MCITP:EA. I can't speak for the MCSE.
    If you don't have experience with Server 2003 you better get Virtual PC or Sun Virtual Box or VMWare workstation and get some hands on practice with it no matter what learning path you take.

    I originally thought that a combination of the MSFT IT academy + VMware setup + Transcender would be good enough for preparation for the test
  • earweedearweed ■■■■■■■■■□ Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    The IT academy is really a good supplement to using the books. It isn't really thorough enough in itself to get you through unless you have a lot of experience with Server 2003. I use IT Academy along with the MS Press Training kits and they are a good combination. ITA actually goes deeper in some areas than the books but doesn't really cover the basics of every area as well as the books do.
    I use the books + ITA + Transcender + lab setup
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • riderjotriderjot ■□□□□□□□□□ Posts: 6Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    The IT academy is really a good supplement to using the books. It isn't really thorough enough in itself to get you through unless you have a lot of experience with Server 2003. I use IT Academy along with the MS Press Training kits and they are a good combination. ITA actually goes deeper in some areas than the books but doesn't really cover the basics of every area as well as the books do.
    I use the books + ITA + Transcender + lab setup

    It certainly sounds like I need to include a book in my combination...

    I believe where I am lost is a study guide... something to refer to that I have covered all materials.... is sybex a good option? or CBT ($1000 wow!)?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane ■■■■■■■■□□ Posts: 4,212Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    riderjot wrote: »
    4or CBT ($1000 wow!)?

    The 70-290 and 70-291 were excellent. The guy that did both of those also does the 293 and 294, so I am sure those will be good too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed ■■■■■■■■■□ Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Use this Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment to see the skills measured (objectives)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
Sign In or Register to comment.