70-643 and 70-646

za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
Some quick question please, i'm planning on taking one of them next month

1- How much time of study each need (approx) ?
2- What books other than MS did you use to study ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Tarek

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm taking 2 months for the 643 but that's just because the 1 month method hasn't been very successsful for me so far (scoring in the 700's) I spaent almost 2 weeks on just the first area (storage, Hyper_v, and High availability) as I had just built a new comp and have been playing with Hyper-V and doing more extensive labbing. TerminalServices I spent a week on as I had a lot of spare time. IIS is taking more time as it's all new to me.
    I'm using the MS Press Training Kit and Sybex and will be using Transcender and the Measure up included with the MS book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, so you think the Sybex book is good for the exam ? I can't afford to buy Transcender so i will only use the measure up ones.

The combination of MS/Sybex worked really well for me for two exams.
    Sybex seems to fill in a few holes for me. I still have a LOT of holes in my knowledge of IIS which I'm in the middle of...lol
    Terminal services didn't seem to be that hard for me to study as it just grabbed my interest and I was able to do the little labs in the MS Press book and then create a little more complex scenario for myself with my lab computer. IIS just has so much new info and has just not sparked my interest yet which makes it harder to study for me. The final area of study (Configuring Network Application Services) looks interesting and should be easy for me to get a handle on.
    From your performance that I've seen so far on the other tests this one shouldn't give you any problems.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Thanks for the info, i'm not familiar with IIS as well nor TS i've just used them in a very narrow scale so it's gonna be tough to study/lab it.

My break will end tomorrow, i will start reading for 646 if I found it easy I will go for it and try to finish it in less than a month then will continue with EA track otherwise i will be stuck with 643 and hope will done it in fast period as well.

When I first started i put a one year goal for EA track but with time I just wanted to finish faster and do something else it's motivation i think :D
    I'm thinking more of doing 70-646 I started reading the book today, 643 seems really boring and it's really tempting to get the SA degree this soon.

Once it's done I will do 70-643. I've already got the MS book and will be receiving Sybex book soon via my friend in Dubai since here only MS books are available.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    If you look real close, the 70-643 and 70-646 exam objectives have plenty of overlap. I studied both at the same time and found one helped the other. Same with 70-647 and 70-640.
    alokin123 wrote: »
    If you look real close, the 70-643 and 70-646 exam objectives have plenty of overlap. I studied both at the same time and found one helped the other. Same with 70-647 and 70-640.

Yes I think you're right studying one will help with the other for sure.
    I like studying for this exam so far, it's really not about how to do things but why the book (MS) has been smooth so far. I'm in chapter 4 now and the books seems good enough.
    Now in chapter 11 only one chapter left, I don't really understand while they have to keep talking about stuff like CA (which is mentioned in almost every single book) or GP or NAP/Remote access.

The chapter about clustering was quite difficult for me since I don't have enough experience with it but the links found in the book were helpful.

My plan now is to finish the book by tomorrow (took 2 weeks) and start reading the Sybex book and hopefully in another two weeks I will be almost ready for the test. I took a quick test today and got 65%
    Clustering is covered in 70-643, that's why you haven't seen much about it yet. I think you'll do ok. Just stay on pace where the stuff stays fresh in your mind and you'll be fine.