CCNA motivation

reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
Hello everyone. Well, I've decided to go after my CCNA this summer, but I am lacking the motivation to start studying for some reason. I just got done with the last college semester (16 hours, 12 of those computer related) and recently got A+ and i-Net+. Do many of you feel like you're burnt out with studying for IT sometimes? I know I need to start soon, I just can't get motivated to sit down and read like I have been for the past year with school and other certs. Thanks for any comments. icon_cool.gif
Reloaded~4~Ever

Comments

• 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I think being motivated towards a certain thing or otherwise depends on how much weight that specific thing has in your life. I went through a similar situation about a year ago when I was studying for my CCNA. I changed jobs and eventually started doing too many 'non-IT' things so I thought I'd better be off tackling work-related issues first and then focusing on restarting my studies after I getting things straight.

Now that everything's OK, I thought the only way I'd be motivated to start CCNA --or complete it-- was to buy my own lab equipment. Now, because I've spent money on lab equipment, I feel motivated again to make use of those resources and finish-up CCNA.

So I'd suggest you get yourself a lab (a cheap one to start with) and a book and plunge right in and enjoy ;)

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know what you mean. The past few days have gone by and I haven't even wanted to hear the word cisco. I got the learn key series, 2 cisco press books, sybex book, and some cisco routers, then I jumped right in. Now I'm starting to think I might have hit it too hard at the start and burned myself out. I'm going to take about a week and then jump in again.

I do agree, if you got a lab setup it would be some motivation for ya. I was so excited when I got my lab stuff I even took pics. lol
    You can see the start of my lab here, www.jonathandavenport.com/images/rack.JPG . I need to take some more with it finished :D
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I recently bought the CCNP training videos from CBT Nuggets - that got me over any lack of motivation to study.

Seems to me that it is often more difficult to be motivated to study when you know you have to plod through a mountain of material - but if you have a good training video, it's not hard to get motivated.

I haven't seen their CCNA training videos, but everything I've seen from them so far has been excellent.

BTW, they are at www.cbtnuggets.com if you are interested.

-Mike
  • mtellinmtellin Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    davenport wrote:
    I know what you mean. The past few days have gone by and I haven't even wanted to hear the word cisco. I got the learn key series, 2 cisco press books, sybex book, and some cisco routers, then I jumped right in. Now I'm starting to think I might have hit it too hard at the start and burned myself out. I'm going to take about a week and then jump in again.

I do agree, if you got a lab setup it would be some motivation for ya. I was so excited when I got my lab stuff I even took pics. lol
    You can see the start of my lab here, www.jonathandavenport.com/images/rack.JPG . I need to take some more with it finished :D
    Where did you get your rack from? I'm trying to find something to replace my standard relay rack.
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mtellin wrote:
    Where did you get your rack from? I'm trying to find something to replace my standard relay rack.

The guys at work took it out of production some time back, later they found out I was looking for one and I came outside to find it laying in the back of my truck. Pretty sweet deal! lol :D