suse or redhat

im thinking about getting some certs in linux starting with linux+ but after that what other one should i get suse or redhat or is there another cert that i should look at

thanks
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It probably depends on where you are (in the world). I think SUSE is popular in Europe but RH is pretty popular here. Finish the Linux+ (aka LPIC-1) and then decided on what you are going to do next.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Excellent question that I had asked myself several times. Infact, it's a trilema: suse cert or red hat cert or distro agnostic cert?
    I opted for the distro- agnostic cert the first time around but at some point you'll have to go down the specifics of a particular distro.
    My next linux cert will be on suse. I like Yast, and also how well the incorporation in mixed environments is solved, which in my view is much more real scenario than linux- only. That and how vendor approved prep literature in the form of a self- study kit is available at reasonable prices. Exams themselves are equally reasonably priced. Almost none of this can be said of Red Hat exams.
    I guess the bottom line is that you'd go the distro- agnostic line when you are just cutting your teeth into linux administration and then go with SUSE, and as you go along and your skills are grown with somebody else paying for the courses and the exam, take on Red Hat.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like what was said earlier, if you are just getting started you are going to be getting Linux+, LPIC-1, LPIC-2 first anyhow. These are distro neutral. In all fairness I think RHCE is the most employable Linux cert, but it's not something you can walk in and earn a in a few months.
    -Daniel
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like what was said earlier, if you are just getting started you are going to be getting Linux+, LPIC-1, LPIC-2 first anyhow. These are distro neutral. In all fairness I think RHCE is the most employable Linux cert, but it's not something you can walk in and earn a in a few months.

This is very true and this is the path I am looking to walk as well.