Options

books+vids

jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
Ok I realllly need to get my ccna, I'm tired to death of being in manufacturing, and my Cisco teacher said to contact him when I get certified.

I have
sybex ccna
the 2 odom books
cbt nuggets
packet tracer(was in the acad, obviously)

So when it comes to studying as when to do books and vids is my question.

do you all find it easier to watch all the videos in a row, then after that hit the books? or books first? or watch the one video then read the relavent chapter?

aside from maybe a subnetting brush up, and ipv6 I feel confident in my config skills, as in class i breezed through all config labs faster than anyone in class and pretty much scored 100% on all of them, in fact one lab which was suppose to take two class periods, I finished in a hour and a half, and I was barely conscious (literaly, I would have been more focuses drunk thats how bad it was) and I was the only one who finished but the teacher dropped it cause it was too hard for other students.

also another question, NET + my net + book is old, with studying ICND 1 would that info be enough to probably pass net+? I figured for the hell of it go in for that kinda as practice plus my dad might be able to hook me up with a voucher
Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
HTC students encouraged to join :)

Comments

• Options
    joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're gonna get a lot of different resopnses on how people study.. It's one of those things that depend on the person, we all learn at different paces and some things "stick" easier than others.

Myself... I read the material and take notes in the process, I do all questions and then re-read the parts that I get wrong, I never study what I get right, time is too valuable. I then lab everything the book shows, I also make up on my own labs and impliment them. I try to lab every concept the book talks about to reinforce what I'm learning. Many, many times I had to use the internet because I needed more information or a concept explained in a different way in order for me to understand it.

I never read the Net+ material.. My understanding is that the ICND1 book covers a lot of the same concepts but the Net+ covers a broader area of networking. An example would be apple talk. ICND1 mentions it, but I hear Net+ goes into detail.
    Others will be able to give you more info on the Net+ topic.

In the end, do what works for you. However, Lab everything, then lab it again! :)
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    My study plans usually are to watch the videos first for a good overview of all the exam topics and then read the books and rfc's for more detailed information.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Vids then Books but I lab along with both.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wirerat wrote: »
    My study plans usually are to watch the videos first for a good overview of all the exam topics and then read the books and rfc's for more detailed information.

This. The CBTNuggets videos give me enough information to have a general understanding of the concepts (and piques my interest), then the books fill in the details.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    Sounds good, from the sounds of it watching the vids first than reading would be the best option, over all I would say I can configure 90% of the CCNA(and like half the security exam, an additional class I took covered some of it) material and as far as all the definitions theories and blahblah I got like about 50-60% of that down so I got a good lead on it all, thanks for the help guys.
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)