Options

Weird HP login screen

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Have a user who dropped off their notebook today to have some software upgraded while they are in an all day conference.

I power up the HP Probook 4510s and I do not get a chance to get into Windows. Instead I get a screen that has the HP logo on the left, a three headed charactature in the middle, and a message on the top that says select account to log into. I have never seen this before. I txt the user, they have no idea.

I get online with HP support, and was told they think its a bad HDD. I find that hard to believe. It was hard trying to explain to them what the screen looked like. I think they just gave up.

Anyone have an idea about this, and how to clear it out? Notebook is only two months old.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Does it have one of those fastboot media player features in the BIOS?
  • Options
    Not to my knowledge, but I cannot get into the BIOS to check. Everything I select from the start up menu takes me to this weird screen.

Oh and HP is full of it. HDD passes tests 100%.

I cannot even get it to boot from the cdrom on a XP disc or a Ghost disc. Im ready to chuck this thing off the fourth floor here.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some type of pre-boot authentication maybe? Take a picture :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Some type of pre-boot authentication maybe? Take a picture :)

I second this!!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    That model definitely comes with HP enhanced pre boot security.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    How does the user not remember that they need to log into this thing?
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    1. Open Window
    2. Throw out window
    3. ????
    4. Profit!
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skyline wrote: »
    1. Open Window
    2. Throw out window
    3. ????
    4. Profit!
    Usually when you do this to a clients computer it costs you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Explain how it was possessed and you thought it would do harm to others. Then clearly you should be rewarded and deemed a HERO by all

OR

You could wait until you are able to get in touch the owner.

either or...
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    Ok here is the image. I showed it to the end user, she just shrugged claiming never saw it before. Trying to describe this to HP was worse than nails on a chalkboard.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Ok here is the image. I showed it to the end user, she just shrugged claiming never saw it before. Trying to describe this to HP was worse than nails on a chalkboard.

That's preboot security. I know it because I had it set up on one of my HPs at one point. Does it have a finger print reader?
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    The HP desktops we recently ordered had a boatload of bloatware just like that already preinstalled on it. All kinds of security managers and download managers...I would have just left them alone but they were all so intrusive in regular tasks it made more sense to uninstall them all. There's like 5 of them.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm on my second HP laptop and have never seen that screen. (Granted with my newer laptop I pulled the disks out and stuck them on the shelf so that I could install bigger/better disks and loaded my own version of windows 7)
    Decide what to be and go be it.