CCNA Help! I need some good advice.

Blang008Blang008 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
A little background info..I work in IT and work daily with Cisco switch commands to troubleshoot, work with Cisco View/Cisco Network Registar. I know the commands well (sho ip int brief, show cdp neighbor, sho int, etc.) I need to get the CCNA to take my career to the next level. I started to study a couple of years ago but didn't get to finish. I've been out of the Cert world for a year or so. Please give me some good advice on where to start studying for the CCNA and which path to take?

Thanks for all the help. I love this site!

Comments

• wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    If you are sure that you already have the basics down then I would recommend to pick up Odom's CCNA book and study away.
  • rob_crossleyrob_crossley Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree if you already work on Cisco switches on a daily basis you're better off doing the 1 exam path CCNA rather than the 2 CCENT then CCNA path. Odom's CCNA book is the best book and id recommend Todd Lammle's CCNA book.
    Study Hard! Learn Hard! Earn Hard!
    "If you stop learnin, you stop earnin!"
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pretty much what these gentlemen said above, however you can look at Video learning series such as the CBT Nuggets for example.

I used the series by Jemery Cioara - Excellent!
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I agree if you already work on Cisco switches on a daily basis you're better off doing the 1 exam path CCNA rather than the 2 CCENT then CCNA path. Odom's CCNA book is the best book and id recommend Todd Lammle's CCNA book.
    Not neccessarily better to do the 1 exam path. The two exam path is the same price (half cost per test), so it might be easier to pass if he takes that route. Personally I would take the one exam route, even thought that is not my advice to other people.
  • Blang008Blang008 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The only problem is that I am really weak when it comes to routers and routing protocols. Would you still suggest the one exam path?
  • IgorGothIgorGoth Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you get Odom's two book series ICND1 and ICND2 you can go through the first book and decide when you finish if you want to do the 2 exam options (in which case you're prepped for part 1) or continue through book two and take the single exam. I took the two exam route because my brainbox was a little full after book one, but it really depends on how "full" you feel at the end of the first book.