Interview at 11:00, desktop support engineer

TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Wish me luck guys. I feel good about my chances, feel more than capable and had a decent conversation with the manager and a tech.

Looking at 45k+, want to settle into a position already. I'll see how I negotiate the salary if I get hired
Needs 100K

Comments

• thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wish me luck guys. I feel good about my chances, feel more than capable and had a decent conversation with the manager and a tech.

Looking at 45k+, want to settle into a position already. I'll see how I negotiate the salary if I get hired

I have a feeling you will get it.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • CertGrabberCertGrabber Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif Good luck bro! Sounds like you're confident, which is good. Let us know how it goes.
    Studying CCNP Route

Currently compiling my own home lab. I never knew scouring ebay for routers, switches, and modules could be so much fun!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have faith :). Come back with a victory!!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Best of luck bro! Tell us how it goes.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Good luck. Confidence is key and you have that :)
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Good luck and tell us how it goes :)
  • TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, i think i nailed it =D I spoke with their lead tech during the interview, and i came away with the impression that he knows that I know what I'm talking about.

He came with usual break/fix situations and i came away solving each problem with relative ease. After the interview, he told me he was impressed with my skill set and will be interviewing two other candidates and will notify me.

Im the guy for the job icon_lol.gif

Will get my hands on EMC SAN, xServe, IBM z/OS. Will be a great learning experience =D They also cover my cert expenses
    Needs 100K
    Hope you get it!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    BTW Thnx for the support guys icon_cheers.gif
    Needs 100K
    Well guys quick update! icon_cool.gif

I didn't get the job as a desktop support engineer. I got something better =) I'll be a systems engineer at Chelsea Tech down in the city. Starting at 48K, moving to 52 after a 3 month probationary period. Yearly reviews on compensation based on performance. Bonuses every 3 months, plus a annual bonus. All certs paid for, 50% health dental vision. Two weeks paid vacation, 5 sick days, 2 personal days icon_cheers.gif

Cant wait to last a couple years here, going to provide support for hedge funds. IM EXCITED! icon_cheers.gif

I start mid next week icon_cheers.gif
    Needs 100K
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Sounds like a great opportunity, man. I wish my employer would cover cert costs. What kind of systems admin experience did you have before getting this position?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    About 3 years of sys admin. Not too enterprise heavy, just building servers/workstations, built the domain in place, basic administration, ect. Im being paid below market, but I'm under qualified and will learn on the job. They understand that and look pretty excited to have me on board. Going to start configuring Fortinet firewalls. Wow man this is such a good match =D
    Needs 100K
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations on the good news! The only advice I would give is to try to hold on to that enthusiasm through the initial letdown that comes with almost any new job - once you actually start it. While I'm sure there will be some minor issues, the perks you have listed will more than make up for it.

Thanks for sharing something positive for the community. :)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man. Don't be surprised if you have to get hedge funds investors coffee on top of your other duties. A couple of friends of mine had similiar jobs at hedge funds. You might be hating life on a down day in the market. Hopefully you don't have the same fate.

Congrats though...sounds like a wonderful opporunity.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man!! This will definitely pave the way towards your eventual greatness. icon_cheers.gif
    Thnx guys =) I won't work FOR the hedge funds themselves, not even under a SLA, I will just go to their locations to install and configure systems, some troubleshooting as well of course. Hopefully the coffee runs don't materialize =P
    Needs 100K
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. It sounds like you have a great attitude, and are willing to pick up and learn what you need by any means necessary. That will take you far.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    First day was today. Feels super good to be in the office, lots of equipment, movement, other engineers, help desk, everything is just hands on. Saw so much equipment on my first day and was able to absorb so much.

I cant wait icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    Needs 100K
    Congrats on the new job.
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Congratulations - I predict you will go far!
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.