Introduction and request for advice...

DemolitronDemolitron Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I've been in the IT field for about 13 years now, and 10 of those were with my current employer. For reasons beyond my control I need to jump ship and this economy is not going to cooperate.

I've decided to pursue a few certifications and update others to backup my experience claims on the ol'resume. To that end I spent a few weeks getting my shiny new CCNA certification. And now I'm looking to update my tired old MCSE NT4 certification.

A long time back I passed that monster Windows 2000 Upgrade exam but did not finish it by taking the two required elective exams. According to the MS certification planner I need to take two tests to get the MCSE 2000.

I need help deciding between the 70-297 and 70-298. Not sure which one is harder and I'm pressed for time so the easier route would be best. Also, how "real-world" are the MS exams now days?

The same question about 70-285 vs. 70-284 For Exchange 2003.

I've been managing a six site Windows 2000/2003 network for about 5 years now. So real world design and operations are in the bag. I know that I'm lacking the "exam knowledge" required to pass these beasts.

Thanks for your advice guys! This seems like a great place to learn.

Comments

• DemolitronDemolitron Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bump... Anyone out there? =)
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Hi and welcome to TE!

To be honest, I'm not sure you can upgrade it anymore. The 2000 exams have retired, strange that the cert planner says you can upgrade to MCSE 2000 by taking the 297 and 298 but I'v never heard of that before.

Take a look at http://www.techexams.net/forums/other-microsoft-electives/23327-mcse-nt4-need-know-best-route-upgrade.html

Good luck with whatever you choose! The CCNA and the MCSE in my opinion sit well together.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I think you'll need to start from scratch at this point. Depending on what you've done, your previous exams might satisfy a requirement or two, but you can't upgrade anymore.

It's all broken down here: MCSE Certification | MCSE Training | Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

It's pretty straight-forward.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even if you were able to get MCSE:2000, you would still need the 70-292 and 70-296, which were retired in 2008. The only way to do it now would be to start from scratch. Although some of the exams might carry over, for instance you might have taken the 70-270 for the client part of your MCSE. And if you did, you don't need to take it again.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE! From what I've seen here your MCSE wont upgrade straight to 2003 so you'll have to start from scratch. It would probably be easier for you (and less tests) to just go for the MCITP:EA on Server 2008. I bet you're not alone in having an old MCSE and you just continued working without upgrading to newer technologies. If you have experience with Server 2003 you could probably just get the MCITP really easily.
    If you're looking for a new job don't specify your MCSE on your resume but leave that detail for the interview. A lot of people are in your situation so don't feel alone.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    If you're looking for a new job don't specify your MCSE on your resume but leave that detail for the interview. A lot of people are in your situation so don't feel alone.

Are you telling him to not list the MCSE at all or to leave off the fact that it is for windows NT?
    Decide what to be and go be it.