Goddess that I am, I actually do have a subnetting question

Do we always assume that subnet zero is not configured to be allowed for the CCNA? I've noticed some practice tests in which the "correct" answer is to divide a class B into /17s or a class C into /25s...do we just assume for these and these only that "no ip subnet zero" is configured? Or on the actual tests, do we not see these type of questions?

Thank you!
OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately,

No one could directly answer that question regarding the CCNA because that would be a violation of the NDA. What I can tell you is... you will receive specific instructions from the exam regarding each question.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Thank you peanut...I will just wait for the test and not worry over it then. :)
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you peanut...I will just wait for the test and not worry over it then. :)

No worries... looking at your experience in your other post, I believe you have the knowledge to discern the answer if you're in that situation... Good luck with your studies.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually the study guides pretty much tell you that unless it states otherwise, you can assume the zero subnets are valid.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bermovick wrote: »
    Actually the study guides pretty much tell you that unless it states otherwise, you can assume the zero subnets are valid.
    Was just about to post this.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Thanks...as you can probably tell, I skipped the subnetting section of my book. icon_redface.gif Guess it would not hurt to read it in case of any more tidbits like this.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bermovick wrote: »

Agreed. My network academy professor told us the same. Cisco exams are very straight-forward and they will tell you every bit of information you need to know for exactly what they want done. When it comes test time you'll see its literally "you either know it or you don't".
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks...as you can probably tell, I skipped the subnetting section of my book. icon_redface.gif Guess it would not hurt to read it in case of any more tidbits like this.

You are aware of ip subnet zero which is half the battle so that's a good thing. But yes, put plenty of time in on the subnetting exercises. It will only assist you come test time!
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Do we always assume that subnet zero is not configured to be allowed for the CCNA? I've noticed some practice tests in which the "correct" answer is to divide a class B into /17s or a class C into /25s...do we just assume for these and these only that "no ip subnet zero" is configured? Or on the actual tests, do we not see these type of questions?

Thank you!

SubnettingGoddess,

I think a relevant question is why is there this subnet zero issue? Have you started studying routing protocols, for example RIP verson 1?
    SubnettingGoddess,

I think a relevant question is why is there this subnet zero issue? Have you started studying routing protocols, for example RIP verson 1?

It's only an issue in sample questions that do not make clear whether or not it's configured. But I have some comfort now that when I face the actual exam, it will be clear whether or not it is.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Cisco usually do a good job on exam questions and I doubt they will purposely screw anyone over on a subnet 0 question
    It's only an issue in sample questions that do not make clear whether or not it's configured. But I have some comfort now that when I face the actual exam, it will be clear whether or not it is.

SubnettingGoddess,

Do you know about the destination IP address field and source IP address field in an IP packet?
    SubnettingGoddess,

Do you know about the destination IP address field and source IP address field in an IP packet?

icon_lol.gif What about them?
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Your best bet for an issue like this is assume current cisco defaults if you have no other info. They've defaulted to use the zero subnets in IOS for quite a long time now so if I wasn't given info one way or the other....

Also this applies in one other place I can think of off the top but I'm sure there are more. Most (if not all) 2950 switch's default to dynamic desirable for trunking which will automatically trunk with another switch if connected. 2960 switches default to dynamic auto which means 2 connected 2960's will not trunk without further config.
    icon_lol.gif What about them?

SubnettingGoddess,

Does the destination IP address field of an IP packet include a subnet mask?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    tech-airman,

What is your major malfunction?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

Do 20 of these a day:

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    SubnettingGoddess,

I would also like to know what you are getting at. The fact is, she is trying to learn the functions of a router and when / if it is applicable.
    CCNP :study:
    phoeneous wrote: »

Thank you phoeneous...like my certs section says, it is actually the one thing I am very good at. I just wasn't sure since with the study material I am using, sometimes you have to assume it's enabled and sometimes not...nice to know that should not be an issue on the actual exam.
    SubnettingGoddess,

Wow tech-airman, you are the one with a CCNA and you'd ask such a newb question? icon_rolleyes.gif I'd think with your l33t skillz, you'd know it does not.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow tech-airman, you are the one with a CCNA and you'd ask such a newb question? icon_rolleyes.gif I'd think with your l33t skillz, you'd know it does not.

He does know, he was asking to see if you know.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    He does know, he was asking to see if you know.

Yes, I know. Was just rather puzzled that he was quizzing me out of the blue.
    But anyway, if we're playing this game, my turn!

You have a Cisco 7300 series router at your border. It randomly *poof* loses its serial interface configurations. Not that they go down. They are simply gone from RAM. Only a reboot brings the configurations back. What might cause this to happen, and how do you fix it?

So since the destination IP address in an IP packet only contains the destination IP address, how does the router figure out which network the destination IP address is for?
    So since the destination IP address in an IP packet only contains the destination IP address, how does the router figure out which network the destination IP address is for?

No, now it's my turn. Why did all the serial interfaces poof out of the config?

But in answer to your question, it's a routing protocol called PFM.
    No, now it's my turn. Why did all the serial interfaces poof out of the config?

But in answer to your question, it's a routing protocol called PFM.

SubnettingGoddess,

What does PFM stand for?
    SubnettingGoddess,

What does PFM stand for?

I can't say in polite company. Google it. You still haven't answered my question but I'll give a hint...the answer is buried in a show tech.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't say in polite company. Google it. You still haven't answered my question but I'll give a hint...the answer is buried in a show tech.

I lol'd. icon_cheers.gif Took me a second but I got it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got the PFM but what is buried in a show tech?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    I got the PFM but what is buried in a show tech?

incompatible FPGA image version. you could also do a show c7300.