How does this work?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a few questions:

1: So am I supposed to have 1-2 years work experience before I get this cert?

2: Given that there are seven required exams, is one to purchase seven different books for each exam?

3: Must all of these exams be taken at one time or can I take one a month from now, then another a month later and so on until I complete all?

4: Should I work towards 2000 or 2003?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Recommended, not required.

2. Most people use more than one resource per exam.

3. Space them out however you want. You can do more than one on the same day if you prefer.

4. 2000 is no longer available.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Be forwarned that the MCSE 2003 tests are probably getting pretty close to requirement. I would say that if you don't feel like you can finish them up within the next year, you may as well start with the MCITP: EA.
    I disagree. Microsoft has historically kept two server tracks active. The 2003 MCSE will likely be active until the next revision of the MCITP: SA/EA. I doubt these will disappear prior to 2012.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    if you take the a+ and the net+ that will count as your elective that is what i am trying to do to get the mcsa i took the first part of the a+ the essentials
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Experience would make it much easier.
    2. A book + CBT's + practice exams is usually recommended
    3. Usually best to space out about a month apart
    4. Answered by Dynamik
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would really hate to get all of the studying done and have them retire this cert. Should I go for it? I think it would really benefit me. I could probably get net+ now. I'm studying for A+

I can devote 5 hours a day to study. Do you guys think it's possible to get this cert within 6 months time?
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Do you guys think it's possible to get this cert within 6 months time?

Starting from scratch? Not likely. You'll probably average 4-8 weeks per exam, depending on your pace. You'll definitely experience burnout if you keep that up non-stop, so be sure to factor in some time off.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started this last April, with the expectation to do all 6 required exams, plus security+ and the 70-299 by years end. I am about halfway done, the 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, and Security+ are history. I'm working on the 70-293 now and have the 70-294, 70-298, and 70-299 in the on deck circle.

I can personally vouch for the burnout that Dynamik is referring to. It is difficult to come home each night and study. Lately I just want to plop down on the couch and vegitate with my family, but instead have to force myself to leave the room and crack my book open. Not easy stuff.

As for resources, you want at least 1 book per test and I value the CBT nuggets for the 70-290 and 70-291. I expect them to be of value for the 70-293, 294, 298, and 299. This isn't an easy expedition, nor a cheap one. Between study materials and exam prices, I spent over $1,500 for the MCSA certification. I expect the MCSE to run another $1,500.

Is that $3,000 spent likely going to get me a subsantial raise? Probably. It is likely I could make all of that back in the first 6 months to year of a new job using the skills from the MCSE.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't worry you'll still benefit from the studying even if the cert is retired. And people will still recognize the cert for a good while longer as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Well, what about in 9 months time? Would you guys still recommend MCSE 2003? I'm afraid it will be obsolete to an employer by next year. I could get A+ and Net+ now as the elective, just have to take the exams.

Off topic: Currently I have no certs but I'm working on CCNA (Netacad) through my community college. Classes start tomorrow and I am really excited. I've read the first five chapters so far. Those seemed to be a review, mostly stuff covered in Network+.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    I disagree. Microsoft has historically kept two server tracks active. The 2003 MCSE will likely be active until the next revision of the MCITP: SA/EA. I doubt these will disappear prior to 2012.

This is interesting! I might actually pursue the MCSA eventually if this is the case. As I understand I would just have to do the 290/291 since I have A+ and Net+.
    I take it I will need a System running Windows server 2003 to complement my studies? I only have machines with Vista, ubuntu, and XP. Can anyone recommend something (could be on ebay) that doesn't cost too much. I don't need the monitor.
    VirtualBox or VMware Player.
    You should look into virtualization. You can run virtual servers on the computer you have now. How much RAM do you have? That will pretty much determine how many virtual servers you can run at once.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    1gb of ram on this and 2gb on my other. I could upgrade this Notebook's ram if need be. I still need to purchase a 2k3 disk though right?
    This is pretty cool. I downloaded VirtualBox and I am able to use OpenSUSE and Ubuntu this way while STILL running vista! Is this method practical for preparing for these exams. Is using multiple spawned servers from VB going to allow me to apply what I learn? There isn't much resource demanding software in using Win2k3 is there?
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1gb of ram on this and 2gb on my other. I could upgrade this Notebook's ram if need be. I still need to purchase a 2k3 disk though right?

If you buy the MSPress book you get an evaluation license of 2003. I'm not sure if it is available to download from Microsoft's website or not without the MSPress books though.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
    I'm beginning to get confused. Is MCSE lower than MCSA or is it vice versa? And which exam should I tackle first for MCSE?
    I'm beginning to get confused. Is MCSE lower than MCSA or is it vice versa? And which exam should I tackle first for MCSE?
    MCSA is "lower" meaning you get it first.

Your 2 GB machine should be sufficient for running the number of servers you need. If you have any questions about how to use virtual box just post them here and someone will try to answer them.
    earweed wrote: »
    MCSA is "lower" meaning you get it first.

Your 2 GB machine should be sufficient for running the number of servers you need. If you have any questions about how to use virtual box just post them here and someone will try to answer them.
    So people do typically get MCSA first? I'm glad I asked. In addition, I'm working on CCNA and A+ at the moment. I know CCENT and Net+ would be cake.

Edit: I got Virtual box to work and it was pretty straight forward. Its really convenient for when I don't feel like making a livecd and need multiple environments. I have a feeling I will use it for more than this cert too.

So let me get this straight. From the looks of it, these MCSA exams can be applied towards the MCSE? Meaniing I'd have to take three more exams to get it from MCSA? this clarification will be a great help. By the way, this is an awesome forum with really nice people. :) Sorry I ask so many questions.
    Microsoft makes it clear that the MCSA is different than the MCSE, and that they are not really related. This made me scratch my head since every exam taken for the MCSA is also part of the MCSE.

I used VMware workstation that was very spiffy. It is on the expensive side though, but I got it half off for being a student. (Paid something like $113?)

For my OS's I used MSDN versions, but the 90 day evaluations found in the back of most MS books.

Edit: MCSA requires a client exam, 70-290, 70-291, and an elective.
    MCSE requires all of the above, plus 70-293, 70-294, and a design exam.
    I noticed they will stop issuing certain exams after October 31 of this year. So says the note at the bottom for items superscripted with a "1". icon_sad.gif
    I noticed they will stop issuing certain exams after October 31 of this year. So says the note at the bottom for items superscripted with a "1". icon_sad.gif

They have also recently released the list for exams that will be retired in March of 2011. None of the required MCSA/E exams are on this lists, so they will keep pumping them out until at least sometime after then. Some have speculated that they will die about the same time that MCITP gets a revision, so 2012 at the earliest.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You'll definitely experience burnout if you keep that up non-stop, so be sure to factor in some time off.

Time off? You getting soft in your old age?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Time off? You getting soft in your old age?

Nah, just running out of certs to take ;)

I'm actually hitting the wall financially now that I'm on to the SANS stuff. $900 for a challenge or $3500 for a course is tough to swallow.

I'm spending more and more time with non-cert studies like programming. I'm aching to get into exploitation and reverse engineering. I need to tough out these college courses for a few more weeks first though icon_sad.gif
    Nah, just running out of certs to take ;)

I'm actually hitting the wall financially now that I'm on to the SANS stuff. $900 for a challenge or $3500 for a course is tough to swallow.

I'm spending more and more time with non-cert studies like programming. I'm aching to get into exploitation and reverse engineering. I need to tough out these college courses for a few more weeks first though icon_sad.gif
    I'm actually into programming. I'm writing a 6502 emulator as a project in my spare time. The core is pretty much done(addressing modes, Memory placement haven't yet implemented interrupts) I will start writing the rudimentary assembler soon. Written in C, compiler optimized.
    I'm actually into programming.

I figured; you're name gave it away ;)

That sounds like a cool project.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Starting from scratch? Not likely. You'll probably average 4-8 weeks per exam, depending on your pace. You'll definitely experience burnout if you keep that up non-stop, so be sure to factor in some time off.

Burnout is a term I know all too well lol.