I got hired!

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
well remember the little interview thread i created, I got hired from the company! The company is SunTrust Bank. Im going to be helping employees over the telephone with problems from applications software that only SunTrust uses.

I start at $32,000 for this little job. Im going to use it to further my cause in getting my CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, and CCIE.
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    congratulations ... What state are you in and do you have any formal education (like College)?
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Congrats! Good luck with everything!
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a Masters and Bachelors in Computer Science. I am already certified in A+, N+, and MCSA.

This little job I took was to get the needed experience that I need while getting the certifications.

I am going to be working in the morning and studying for certifications at night.

Atlanta, Georgia is where I am currently living, though in a couple of years I will be planning to move back to New York!
    What certs are you working on ... and planning to work on?
  • jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Congrats...not bad but I would have settled for 40k.

I too got hired recently. I began employment on 5/16 at GEAC corp. Im working in the commercial division in Houston as product support. Basically, Im doing an advance-level helpdesk. Its a web-based property mgmt s/w that integrates with accounting and use sql in the back end. So you must know accounting principles and sql.

Since my course load is geared toward mcse, Im looking at other opportunities that will give me the right foot in the door. For now, this opportunity will be paying the bills (45K annually + substantial benefits) but I am in the process of going through the employment steps with two other corps...one is an energy corp and the other oil and gas and are offering more in salary.
    What next?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Good Job Danny!!!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Congratulations, thats not a bad starting salary at all. My first tech job I made a little over 20 grand a year, that was 10 years ago, with no bennies. I think you did all right icon_cool.gif

Time to start paying of those student loans now huh icon_eek.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    starter wrote:
    What certs are you working on ... and planning to work on?

working on the CCNA and then the CCNP, CCSP, and finally the CCIE focusing on security.

I might just go for the CCIE routing & switching after getting my CCNP. I will pay a learning center to help me pass.
    jmc724 wrote:
    Congrats...not bad but I would have settled for 40k.

I too got hired recently. I began employment on 5/16 at GEAC corp. Im working in the commercial division in Houston as product support. Basically, Im doing an advance-level helpdesk. Its a web-based property mgmt s/w that integrates with accounting and use sql in the back end. So you must know accounting principles and sql.

Since my course load is geared toward mcse, Im looking at other opportunities that will give me the right foot in the door. For now, this opportunity will be paying the bills (45K annually + substantial benefits) but I am in the process of going through the employment steps with two other corps...one is an energy corp and the other oil and gas and are offering more in salary.

Congrats bro,

I know what you mean but I had to take what came too me. I havent heard from the other companies and since experience is needed badly I just couldnt turn it down. I would of loved a 45K job to begin with but I wasnt offered one. Maybe after 2 years of experience I could land a way better job. I should have my CCNA , CCNP, CCSP by then and possibly my CCIE

@johnnynodough, yeah man I need to start paying those loans. I owe alot of money.
    I think it would take an act of God to get your CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, and CCIE in 2 years. If you get your CCNA and your CCNP in 2 years you have something to be very proud of. Humble thyself fellow bretheren in IT. I know folks who have been working very steadily at their CCIE for years.

Cisco certification is nothing like any other vendor, they are incredibly harder than MS and Comptia, thats why they are such respected certifications. :D [/b]
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    It might be hard to achieve with a full time job but anything is possible if you put your all into it ... (I remember reading in this forums about someone who was planning to get his CCIE in a year with no previous experience ... I don't know if he still thinks he could do it)
    you can accomplish many things if you put your mind to it, CCIE in one year with no previuos experience is not one of them, unless you have a photgraphic memory.

Once you take your first Cisco test you will know what I am talking about. Not only do you have to have a firm grasp on a ton of very specific knowledge, but the passing marks for Cisco are much higher than any other vendor, significantly higher than Comptia.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

well I think the CCNA,CCNP, & CCSP is reachable in two years. I guess I will soon find out how hard it is. I guess the CCIE could be accomplished in 5 years then since it is very hard like you said.

I am soooo determined though to get the CCIE. My former bosses that gaved me an intership for 4 months hired one of the guys that was helping us out. I kinda had a feeling that this was going to happend. He had like 3 years experience working in the Navy and he corrected me a few times. It was first time in the work field and I failed against him.

I found out cause I decided to pay them a visit one time and he told me that the guy he hired to help us out during my internship was there with them for alittle release in the pressure of their work. Turns out later that I found out he got a full time position.

I aint suprise but you cant feeling HURT and bad about yourself. I am assuming they went out on a limb to hire him cause it is hard to get employed in Emory University. Im using this to motivate myself to achieving certifications. They dont think Certifications are that great except for the CCIE. Thats what I want to accomplish it so bad and make more money than they do.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One of our Engineers achieved his CCIE right after college. Didn't bother with CCNA or CCNP, just went and took the tests and voila. Of course his father is one of the VP's here and he has been in this atmosphere some time now. Still that is quite an accomplishment in my book.
  • whaydenwhayden Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!!! It sounds like you earned it!
    "I plan to be studying for my next cert when I am on my deathbed in the hospital."

-BeachTech_
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations x_Danny_x! :)

And also to jmc724 :)

Enjoy ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    congrats to x_danny_x..that is great...wow... icon_eek.gif
  • orissaorissa Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    well remember the little interview thread i created, I got hired from the company! The company is SunTrust Bank. Im going to be helping employees over the telephone with problems from applications software that only SunTrust uses.

I start at $32,000 for this little job. Im going to use it to further my cause in getting my CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, and CCIE.

Congrats Danny,

I was hired in small company back in 2002 with salary 30k. Then this comapny help me to get my A+ NET+ MCP MCSA MCSE and CCNA. They just gave me increament 1000 last month. I am eager to get my CCNP, CCSP and CCIE before I land a 65k or 70k JOB.

Thank you.
    Nothing is impossible in this IT world.