Setting up Frame-Relay in Packet Tracer

TheVirusTheVirus Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
A former co-worker has setup a VPN connection for me to a test computer at his house. On it, is Packet Tracer 5.2 or 5.3. I'm trying to setup Frame-Relay but have no idea what to do. He doesn't know either as his studies are halted due to increased work and his bosses aren't pressuring him to take/pass the CCNA.

I have a Cloud-PT setup and 2 2811 routers connected through Serial to the cloud. The clock rate is set to 64000 on each router and a series of PCs are connected to each router. Obviously, they cannot communicate. Why? I do not know. I was able to setup RIP on the routers before inserting the cloud, so the PCs were able to communicate with that method, which was fun.

What is needed to setup frame-rely on this? Or, at the very least, enable the routers to communicate with each other by going through the cloud (unless that means using Frame-Relay).

Thanks.

Comments

• TheVirusTheVirus Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think my problem is setting up the DLCI paths, or whatever they are.

RiDbF.png

There's a snippet of the network. The two serial links have those IP addresses associated with them. What should I do next? I'm totally lost and am sifting through YouTube videos to understand how all this works.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Well.. they need to be in the same network for one. Also, the routers will be the DTE and the cloud will be the DCE so no need to set clock rates.
    CCNP :study:
    fly351 wrote: »
    Well.. they need to be in the same network for one. Also, the routers will be the DTE and the cloud will be the DCE so no need to set clock rates.

Ok. I changed the right-most router (Router 6) to 192.168.6.2 255.255.255.0 and still nothing. I disabled clock rate on both routers as well for that serial port.

Edit: Also, what do those little timers mean near the Serial ports? I only notice them on a few routers, not sure what they mean.
    So, if I understand this correctly, each router that uses RIP and/or Frame-Relay, needs to be on the same network. I changed it, but it's still not working, so I guess I'm missing something else.
    Alright. I redid it with a 2621XM router and it works. I think it was a cable issue. How do I know if I need a DTE/DCE cable? Which goes where? In Packet Tracer, does it matter which end you begin with, I mean, does it matter if you choose a DCE and then click on the Cloud and then the Router, or do you need to click the Router first then the Cloud? I chose Automatically Choose Cable Type when I redid it.

Here's the lab I did.

SimpleNetworkRIP.pkt - 26 Kb
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you actually configure the cloud to assign and route DLCIs?

Edit: Glad you solved your problem.... here's the link to a previous PT Frame Relay Cloud config thread I had wondered off to find, but you probably don't need now. :D
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/52408-packet-tracer-frame-relay.html?highlight=packet+tracer+frame+relay+dlci
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Did you actually configure the cloud to assign and route DLCIs?

Edit: Glad you solved your problem.... here's the link to a previous PT Frame Relay Cloud config thread I had wondered off to find, but you probably don't need now. :D
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/52408-packet-tracer-frame-relay.html?highlight=packet+tracer+frame+relay+dlci

Thanks for the reply, I'll still take a look at it and see what they did versus what I did.
  • feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't read all posts here, but I used this video to set it up.

YouTube - Frame Relay | Packet Tracer | EASY PEASY!!