Options

ICND2 Equipment

WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
Hey all,
Yes yes, before everyone starts telling me to look at the READ FIRST post -- I wanted to make sure I was getting "updated" information. I noticed a lot of those posts are 3,4 years old so I am sure prices have changed and I wanted to know if I could get a bigger "bang for my buck" instead of buying old equipment.

Currently I have a Cisco 851W which helped me pass my ICND1. I want to purchase additional equipment to actually implement a real test network so I can go trunk, STP, VTP, routing protocol (OSPF, EIGRP, Frame Relay, ect), port security, encapsulation-happy -- enough to break it and try to figure it out.

When I bough the 851 I knew it was a basic router to begin with but I wasnt able to pratice port security on it. I believe I checked last year and its a limitation of the series, no IOS upgrade could fix this.

Using the READ ME FIRST thread I gathered the following to purcahse --
Cisco 2950 x2
Cisco 2611 x2
I'm sure I can throw in my old 851 in there somehow.

Just wanted to get the "OK" if these older models would still let me get the desired results and also be sufficient for the CCNP once I pass the ICND2.
Thanks!
In Progress: CCNP ROUTE

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using the READ ME FIRST thread I gathered the following to purcahse --
    Cisco 2950 x2
    Cisco 2611 x2
    I'm sure I can throw in my old 851 in there somehow.

Just wanted to get the "OK" if these older models would still let me get the desired results and also be sufficient for the CCNP once I pass the ICND2.
    Thanks!

I would suggest changing the 2611 to 2611XM. Additionally, the 2950s would be good for the CCNP but you're eventually going to need a layer 3 switch such as the 3550 or the coveted 3560. One last thing I would suggest would be to get a 2500 series router (I believe 2503) which has 2 built in serial ports. This will help with frame relay setup/configurations. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Checked out Catalyst 3650 -- aside from being a few 100 more $ than the 3550 and that it has PoE feature is there any other difference?

You're right, I was looking at a 2611XM model and it looks like it has a few more bells and whistles I could use.

Also I a friend just gave me a Cisco 2500 series router. It DOES have the 2 Serial ports and a AUI port. He didn't give me any cables so I would need a DB-60 cable for the serial/aui ports?
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE