How common is it for recruiters to alter your resume without your knowledge?

Not simply reformatting it to fit their standard template, but adding things that do NOT belong there? I went to an interview once and was pretty mortified that suddenly I supposedly had F5 Big IP experience. I told them I did not and they dismissed the discrepancy, saying recruiters often do this type of thing. I thought it was so underhanded though that I did not take the job when offered, although I would have loved it. I just could not reward the recruiter for being dishonest.

Have you been in this situation? How did you handle it?
OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I didnt imagine they'd do this icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I wouldnt take the job, if offered, for ethical reasons. But who knows icon_wink.gif

But seriously though, WTF??
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ive never come across this but it wouldnt exactly suprise me. but then again how many companies lie and misell jobs these days. Same kinda thing imo. im not saying either is right though, i believe honesty is the best policy for both sides.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think that's ever happened to me. If anything that would probably help me land a good job since no one wants to hire me. If I were in the same situation I'd just take the job since now isn't really the time to be picky or try to be virtuous with my morals.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ummm...this is terribly dangerous. Considering the fact that we're looking for someone with F5 Big-IP experience, I would find it a complete waste of time if I picked your resume, and then interviewed you extensively on the F5 experience your recruiter lied about.

He's not doing it just to help you; he wants to get paid, only now he's going to lie about it to do it and potentially waste my/my employer's time!

EDIT: I would definitely find a more reputable recruiter. Even if you did BS very well and got your job, you run the risk of not surviving your probation. Mind you, I understand that it's the recruiter that's lying and not you, but you not doing anything about it makes you just as guilty.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
  • sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ive never heard of an occurance like that.was this a long time recruiter or a n000b at it? repeat customers, from those hiring and seeking to be hired, are good!! why risk that...
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have never had this happen to me. I would have not dealt with this and called the recruiter or brought charges up on them. Especially without my knowledge.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only distribute PDFs so I don't have that problem. For the stubborn I provide several formats in my PDF so you can pick and chose the layout. You're not adding or removing anything though, that's for sure.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    *sigh* It was the perfect job for me too...PERFECT. I got a couple of other offers though and took one where the mission statement of the organization appealed to me. But this job was exactly, spot-on what I wanted. Feh.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    *sigh* It was the perfect job for me too...PERFECT. I got a couple of other offers though and took one where the mission statement of the organization appealed to me. But this job was exactly, spot-on what I wanted. Feh.

I probably would've taken the job then. You disclosed the fact that the recruiter changed your resume without your knowledge or consent and they are fully aware of what your capabilities are. I want to reward myself more than I want to not reward the lying recruiter.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why would you not take it? You already let them know you didn't have the experience. I would have taken it. Especially if it was a perfect job. You always have to look out for yourself. Screw the recruiter.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    So in this economy you turned down a job even after the employer expressed that the recruiter’s modification didn’t disqualify you? WTF??? I think its bunk that the recruiter modified your resume, but they did get your foot in the door and practically into a job didn’t they? The text under your avatar says you're unemployed with kids, why would you turn the job down on something pedantic like principles?
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Never heard of that happening before.

As long as you were honest in the interview, I would have taken the job and threatened legal action against the recruiter - they would have probably settled for no commission on the placement.

You didn't really stick it to the recruter since if they tried it once, I'm sure that they will do it again (maybe not with you).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never heard of it happening. I've been instructed to change certain areas before, but I was the only one to ever modify it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    The text under your avatar says you're unemployed with kids, why would you turn the job down on something pedantic like principles?

When there are mouths to feed, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    This was back in DC 2 1/2 yrs ago. I literally got three good offers in three days after looking for about two weeks. It was by far the best fit but I was too angry that the recruiter was so deceitful to take it. Those days are GONE. I am in a small town in Texas now though hoping to move to DFW. And yes, if I got a job now despite a deceitful recruiter, I'd have to put any ethical concerns aside and take it.

eta wow...I got negative points for this thread for a "fail"? er...a little more explanation would have been helpful, Sparky.
    When I initially read your first post, I was under the impression that the recruiter was telling you that this was done all the time, not the employer. If you were honest with the employer, and the employer was going to give you a pass, then oh yeah, take the job. If it were me, based on what you stated, as long as I'm honest with the recruiter's client, and everything else stands up, then take the job. I don't care if some mutt made $3k-$5k off me for fibbing....as long as the twins get fed. :D
    Yes, believe me (almost completely off topic), I haven't eat cow or other mammal in over 20 years for ethical reasons but when it came to my babies, I put ethics aside there without a qualm since they'd been micropreemies and needed the easily absorbed protein, heme iron, zinc etc. If I'll feed cow to my children now, I for sure will let an unethical recruiter have his commission. But it sounds like that is unlikely to happen again.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Changing your resume without your consent? I'll tell you when it should happen: never.

I'm weary of recruiters messing with my resume as it is, be it changing it to their own format or what have you, but when they cross the line and start adding in things you didn't put there yourself, that's going way to far.

What I would do if I were in your shoes is to go to your recruiter, ask to speak to his supervisor, and lay out exactly what happened. Tell him you were embarrassed in front of an interviewing manager, that the recruiter had falsified information on your resume by changing it without your consent, then tell them that you will not work with them again. I would also tell that supervisor that the incident in question will be made public knowledge; then do as you did, tell about it on this forum, to your colleagues, friends, family, etc.

Don't let recruiters get away with sleazy tactics. A friend of mine was contacted through Facebook by one, and when my buddy told the guy that he doesn't use Facebook for business and would like to be contacted through LinkedIn in the future, the recruiter became passive aggressive: "Considering the amount of internet and social marketing that goes on with this website, it is safe to assume that it is ok to try and reach out to you with better opportunities. If you're not looking to take advantage of those, that is fine. Have a good one."

Suffice it to say, that recruiter's boss will be getting an earful.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    What I would do if I were in your shoes is to go to your recruiter, ask to speak to his supervisor, and lay out exactly what happened.

Suffice it to say, that recruiter's boss will be getting an earful.

Do you think this type of crap would fly without supervisors not knowing/being involved/encouraging the practice? I highly doubt it. The fact that this happened in the first place suggests this type of activity is definitely encouraged.
    I think it comes down to the type of recruiter, too. There's no way in hell my recruiter or anyone in her company would do something like this, because I make peanuts compared to some of the people they place. Unfortunately its a pretty sketchy industry because its easy to prey on desperate people. I tried to use a recruiting service when I was looking for a job two years ago but I didn't have a lot of professional experience and most of the jobs I was applying for were lower-end jobs. I found much greater success with finding a job on my own in that case. When I looked for higher-end work this time I found that the recruiters were extremely professional, knowledgeable of the technology, and all business. I can't give give enough thanks to Shaqazulu (or however you spell it dood) for hooking me up with her.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Do you think this type of crap would fly without supervisors not knowing/being involved/encouraging the practice? I highly doubt it. The fact that this happened in the first place suggests this type of activity is definitely encouraged.

All the more reason to go and have a "loud conversation" with the supervisor before letting anyone and everyone you know about the incident. If the problem trickles down from management, it's management's butt you need to hang from the flagpole.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    All the more reason to go and have a "loud conversation" with the supervisor before letting anyone and everyone you know about the incident. If the problem trickles down from management, it's management's butt you need to hang from the flagpole.

Through fault of my hearing (apparently), I'm a loud person as it is (and I have to take very conscious steps to tone that down when I don't want to be loud). So you can imagine when I'm mad the decibel level gets very high. Having someone misrepresent my skillset to make a buck would definitely warrant that and I wouldn't stop at management. I'm going all the way to the top, plus blast them on forums such as this one. We are definitely in agreement on this.