IEEE standards

grubeegrubee Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
for the CCNA combined test (640-801) do you need to know the names of the IEEE standards. i.e. STP = 802.1d

Comments

• YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Even if you did not get a question like that on the exam you are likely to get some during a technical interview so it is wise to know stuff like that!

Yankee
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a contractor and have worked in too many companies to mention
    to date and i have never been asked any IEEE or RFC ref numbers in an interview,so i wouldnt worry about the interviewers asking you this.On the otherside if you try and do your job without knowing these ref numbers it would be impossible.
    When discussing problems with customers these ref are thrown in everywhere.So my advice is learn them to know yourself and sound profesional rather than learn them for the sake of an interview.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    dont forget.........They make great conversation peices as well icon_lol.gif
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • grubeegrubee Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    but for test purposes they will probably not be on there?
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will be asked what the major technology is, such as 802.1d, 802.1s, ... etc. Other than that you do not need to know RFC numbers. I have seen many practice questions that state RFC numbers but I don't recall ever being asked to know which numbers match which technology.
  • grubeegrubee Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you all for your help.

So some of the questions will refer to standards when asking questions, now that means that i have to match protocols with the standards?

man that is a lot to memorize.

Thanks
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    I'm a contractor and have worked in too many companies to mention
    to date and i have never been asked any IEEE or RFC ref numbers in an interview,so i wouldnt worry about the interviewers asking you this.

I do the interviewing, so you may very well hear the questions!

Yankee
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe in the states but not in europe!!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$