Options

CCENT questions

dentrydentry Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
OK folks. I have considered self teaching CCENT instead of going for the whole CCNA. Reason I just dont know enough about routers and switches to feel comfortable telling a possible employer that I know CCNA. I might be able to pass the test but it wouldnt be wright.

The other reason is the community college that I will be attending requires you to take CCENT 1 and CCENT 2 (i will be saving 2 full semesters by completing CCENT on my own) before the four consecutive CCNA classes.

I am in the middle of Network +, I read the book in a week and labs start next week. I am assuming Network + will cover alot of whats on CCENT?

SO that my question will Network + knowledge carry over to CCENT?
Any good study guides for CCENT?
DOes this sound like a good plan?
IM not even sure if I can test for CCENT?
I live in metro Detroit. I took my A+ exam at a near by college.
Thanks for reading any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also working on the CCENT, planning on the CCNA next in the line up. I passed the Network+ exam just a few weeks back, using the Sybex Network+ book by Todd Lammle. I started reading the Sybex CCENT book, also by Lammle, about a week ago and found about half of the content was exactly taken from the Network+ book.

I would say that the Network+ is great prep for CCENT. The only non-overlapping info is Cisco specific configuration and commands from what I'm seeing for the CCENT, that and a little more routing depth.

I'm also out near the Big D, in Sterling Heights. What school you going to? Best of luck in your studies and in your prep for the CCENT & CCNA!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dentry wrote: »
    SO that my question will Network + knowledge carry over to CCENT?
    Any good study guides for CCENT?
    DOes this sound like a good plan?
    IM not even sure if I can test for CCENT?

1. Indeed the Network+ material will carry on. The CCENT/CCNA program is more detailed in regards to what you would do with equipment in the "Human network". The Network+ is more of a broader foundation in regards to the physical equipment being used and not the actual configuration; at least thats how I saw it.
    2. For CCENT/CCNA, I self studied CBT Nuggets by Jeremy and then took Cisco Networking Academy Semesters 1 and 2 to reinforce the foundations. I took a look at the Wendell Odom books for both the CCENT and CCNA and each book helped me out with some of the other details I didn't really get. Network Warrior by O'Reily is a great book to give you a real world look at the skills of a CCNA+ in practice.

Materials:
    Amazon.com: CCNA ICND2 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802) (2nd Edition) (9781587201813):…
    CBT Nuggets
    Amazon.com: Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam…

3. Most definitely
    4. CCENT is the introductory test to become a full CCNA. You can take it or the composite CCNA exam (1 exam to be CCNA instead of CCENT and CCNA) at anytime as long as you have a voucher.

Hope this helps!