WinXP restore...

Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
Was conducted today (May 20th)...tried to go to May 6th- that's when things whet to hell in a handbasket. The computer is slower than ever trying to boot up, the taskbar is missing- although I can see the very tip of it- changed resoultions on the monitor...didn't help. Tried to do restore in command prompt from both admin and user- just get the message- Restore cannot protect your computer- Confused -..was able to put network places and My computer on the desk top- no programs will run from there (tried restore so I can do the undo option) it just times out- went to device manager and the following have the yellow question mark:
Display adaptors- nvidia riva tnt2 model 64; other devices (2) and finally and what I beleive is the cause of no response Microsoft System mamangement BIOS driver .
Attempting to 'update' the driver times out for any of the ones in question.
If there is another way to regain restore I'll put it back to today and be done with it! It is Home edition- but can't connect to the internet either...
I have tried the safe mode route as suggested by microsoft- but the taskbar is still down too low...can click and drag it to another spot.
Anyone somebody help a sister out PLEASE!
Thanks in advance..... icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif
Someone asked me when will my studying be over......

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have bad sectors on your hard drive?
    Run "Error-Checking" with the option "Scan for and Attempt recovery of bad sectors". The results will be displayed in the Event viewer and the error will be listed as 'disk'.

Do you have a virus?

If neither of the above apply then try running "Error-Checking" again except this time choose the option "Automatically fix file system errors". After you click Start, you will have to schedule it to run the next time the system starts so go ahead and restart and chkdsk will run before windows loads.

You can also run System File Checker. The SFC tool will scan your computer for system files that may have been replaced when some old or poorly made program was installed. This usually happens because the programmer who made the software did not create it to check the versions of each system file it replaces.
    To run this utlity, open a command prompt and type "sfc /scannow" without the "". You may be asked for the Windows CD.

Good Luck
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes try system file checker first - if that doesn't work get out your installation CD.

When your CD boots up - use the 2nd repair option. That should do the trick :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    OS recovery is worthless if the hard drive is bad. Be sure that you do this first.
    Do you have bad sectors on your hard drive?
    Run "Error-Checking" with the option "Scan for and Attempt recovery of bad sectors". The results will be displayed in the Event viewer and the error will be listed as 'disk'.
  • Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Hi Guys...thanks for the replies...I did run error check (no bad sectors) and (took 'bout an hour)- sfc /scannow...for an hour I watched as it did not move an iota to show a little blue spot! icon_rolleyes.gif ...I tried coming through the 'back door' of system restore by using the command prompt(safe mode)- message replied 'systemrestore cannot protect your computer...' the person that created this computer did not send any cd's with it- not video-motherboard-OR xp cd...so I'm digging around to try and find the drivers (driversguide.com) to get them installed- then ran into another problem..my computer would not install the external cd-rw usb!.... icon_evil.gif - can't use floppies the file is to big for the download to floppies- which lead me to getting an external cd/rw buslink drive....not working very well with win 2000/128 ram--- icon_confused.gif - getting ugly after two days... icon_cry.gif - in any case ran into ANOTHER problem- windows update would not let me do a update!---picture that....then again my dear old dad has been on my computer today since I have his....I was able to do individual (device manager) updates---
    Was able to update one month ago (installed sp-4)- NOW it tells me I am denied...
    This is not cute any more crash.gifncool.gif - - back to the grind to figure this out some more...tempted to just buy a blasted xp cd--- icon_eek.gif - reinstall and charge him for any problems after that :D -
    BTW---NO process work from 'my computer'- 'my network places' and the like- can't get the computer on the net to install drivers- else I would not be having my hair slowly falling out over my ears now...lol
    ...any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.....
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    If you can, get a new drive and then reinstall on that, give it back. Then you can continue to work on the other drive and see if you can figure it out.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Have you ruled out virus on both machines?
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Use another computer and download Spybot - Search & Destroy. Also download Ad-Aware and if you can get it, MS's antispyware beta. Install them on your computer and see if you have any spyware on it. Then try doing a system restore again.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
    One of the major problems is that nothing wants to run on the desk top. I was able to click a piece of the start button in order to get to programs...-->to restore- that timed out, command line does the same thing. I will try to let the virus scanners run (they are already on the system)--after that I informed the owners of the computer to retrieve the xp disk from whoever built the computer- I should be able to do a repair from the disk- if he/she does not have the disk- I'll strip it and put 2000pro on it- cause this thing has me tired icon_confused.gif In my quest to fix this thing- I found out the wininstaller is corrupt- tried install fix-it utilities- it times out and won't load- and it only halfway loaded Recovery commander...
  • nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya know this could be something to do with permissions. You might want to try logging on as admin in Safe Mode and creating a new user. The XP restore might have confused all access rights, and creating a new user might fix it.
    I'll give that a go right now nate_lewis...
    Thanks
    No use...it just showed a blank user box--couldn't add a new one.
    Sounds like you are going to need the Windows XP CD for this one.
  • reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Sounds like you are going to need the Windows XP CD for this one.
    Bump. icon_cool.gif
    Reloaded~4~Ever
    Yes indeed...however my patience is getting short with this one...(after four days of trying any and everything)....if they can't produce the cd...I'm going to attempt stripping the drive and sticking 2000 pro on it- they can get the XP upgrade- and know they have a XP disk....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Sulblk27 wrote:
    - I should be able to do a repair from the disk- if he/she does not have the disk- I'll strip it and put 2000pro on it- cause this thing has me tired icon_confused.gif ...

Future suggestion (one right after charging more for "my friend help me" service):
    Before any service is started, the user must provide all original disks and license, period!

Many hate it, but it never fails, someone will have some obscure SCSI ISA card and there are NO drivers anywhere on the net to be found for the card (or something like that).

Anything that doesn't have orginal stuff....may not work or may need to be replace.

All my new builds get a folder/book holding all disks. When they need service, they need to bring those items back too.

Just a thought
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Oh...I totally agree- since they did not produce the cd and wnated things as close to normal as possible I just stripped it and inserted new OS- end of problem- doing the updates and will be rid of this headache----
    Thanks all for all of the advice- hate to say this beast beat me- but without the right tools to do the job right- it was quite impossible
    Peace all
    I received these information from another poster in the event anyone else has to do a forced restore- not sure if it works or not- I changed the problem systems OS.

Do you have you xp disk? If so we may be able to force a system restore.

Boot to the disk and choose repair using recovery console.
    If it asks for a password it should be blank. Just hit enter.
    go to the root by typing cd \ (note the space)
    at the root type cd "system volume information" (with the quotes)
    type cd _resto~1 (again note the space)
    type dir
    you will see folders with RP and a number. Take a look at the date and the RP number. Try to find one close to the date you are trying to restore to.
    Once you find it type cd rp and whatever number it is.
    type dir
    look for a folder called snapshot and the date on that folder. If the date on that folder is not the date your trying to go back to then type cd .. and that will take you back one folder so you can look for another date.
    I've noticed that the dates are about 3 days difference.
    Once you find the snapshot folder with the date you are looking for type cd snapshot
    once in that folder type dir
    you will see _registry_machine_system, and _registry_machine_software
    type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config (note the spaces)
    then type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config
    type cd \
    type cd windows\system32\config
    that puts you in the config folder.
    type rename system system1
    type rename software software1
    type rename _registry_machine_system system
    type rename _registry_machine_software software
    reboot the machine. We just did a partial manual system restore.
    Once the machine comes back up you should be able to go to start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore and choose the date you went back to and let the system do a full system restore.

Hope that helps.
    I think you would be better off saving any needed data and reinstalling the OS.

Just my 2 cents
  • yanquiyanqui Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Sulblk27 wrote:
    - I should be able to do a repair from the disk- if he/she does not have the disk- I'll strip it and put 2000pro on it- cause this thing has me tired icon_confused.gif ...

Future suggestion (one right after charging more for "my friend help me" service):
    Before any service is started, the user must provide all original disks and license, period!

Many hate it, but it never fails, someone will have some obscure SCSI ISA card and there are NO drivers anywhere on the net to be found for the card (or something like that).

Anything that doesn't have orginal stuff....may not work or may need to be replace.

All my new builds get a folder/book holding all disks. When they need service, they need to bring those items back too.

Just a thought

And that's a great thing--except if you buy a HP at WalMart it doesn't have any sort of installation disk. it's all preinstalled and you don't get anything to restore from. And novice users don't realize that, so when you ask for the disk, the eyes glaze over and you can see stupefaction setting in. They point to a pile of CD's stacked on top of one another in paper cases, "It's probably over there." you go through the stack and it's not there. Now, I know non-techs aren't prone to taking the care of their equipment that techs are; but most people put all their computer cd's in one place, or at least in teh same room. if it's not with the rest of their cd's it probably didn't come with the computer.

by the way the spell check on this forum really hoovers!
    Makin' it happen regardless...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    yanqui wrote:
    And that's a great thing--except if you buy a HP at W@lMart it doesn't have any sort of installation disk. it's all preinstalled and you don't get anything to restore from. And novice users don't realize that, so when you ask for the disk, the eyes glaze over and you can see stupefaction setting in. They point to a pile of CD's stacked on top of one another in paper cases, "It's probably over there." you go through the stack and it's not there. Now, I know non-techs aren't prone to taking the care of their equipment that techs are; but most people put all their computer cd's in one place, or at least in teh same room. if it's not with the rest of their cd's it probably didn't come with the computer.

First problem - supporting w@lmart in any fashion. Second, buying an HP.

As far as obtaining a disk, you can contact HP and beg/plead/cry until you receive one, may even need to pay for it....though they are not under any obligation to supply one as the install disk has what you will need to set things back to factory specs.

As far as people mis-placing disks.....it is our (the repair/sales/IT person) job to educate people/end users WHAT DOES come with the system and what WILL be required when things go sideways.

It is also the technician's right to not service something or completely replace an item when all the components are not available.

Well, you can always use ieSpell ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Plantwiz is right, *require* that any clients have their installation media, especially for their drivers. If they can't provide that, and you decide to do the work anyway, be upfront with them that you may not be able to get it working, but that you *do* expect to be paid for the effort, regardless. If they decide they'll try someone else, that's fine. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for possible liability. Personally, on the advice from one of my lawyer clients, I make my clients sign a disclaimer and keep it on file. It's basically a page and a half that can be summed up as 'If it breaks, you own both halves.' I have lost customers who weren't willing to risk it, but not many, since most of my business comes from referrals, and if someone else wasn't extremely pleased with me, I wouldn't be receiving the call.

I have copies of every Microsoft OS going back to DOS 6.22, and I keep them in my working kit, just in case the user doesn't have their media (I've seen several cases where the user did have their installation media but it somehow developed scratches.. grr). While I play it on the safe side and keep my own installation media, I absolutely REQUIRE proof of license
    before I do any kind of install. As long as they were smart enough to keep the book with the serial number on it, or the jewel case, or it's stuck on the box somewhere, we're cool (nor do I 'upgrade' if asked to. If an ME license is what you have, ME is what you get, no matter how personally repugnant it may be to me to install it).

Another one of your best friends on a job is Ghost. I make my life extremely easy by carrying a couple of 120 gig drives in the trunk. If I have to work on a messed up box, the *first* thing I do is ghost the drive that's having issues onto one of my drives so I can guarentee I will have the customers data available no matter what. Most customers are perfectly happy to let me wipe the drive and then pull the data they need from the Ghost image
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • yanquiyanqui Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    yanqui wrote:
    And that's a great thing--except if you buy a HP at W@lMart it doesn't have any sort of installation disk. it's all preinstalled and you don't get anything to restore from. And novice users don't realize that, so when you ask for the disk, the eyes glaze over and you can see stupefaction setting in. They point to a pile of CD's stacked on top of one another in paper cases, "It's probably over there." you go through the stack and it's not there. Now, I know non-techs aren't prone to taking the care of their equipment that techs are; but most people put all their computer cd's in one place, or at least in teh same room. if it's not with the rest of their cd's it probably didn't come with the computer.

First problem - supporting w@lmart in any fashion.
    I take it you don't like that organization. ;)
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Second, buying an HP.
    AGREED--wholeheartedly!
    Plantwiz wrote:
    As far as obtaining a disk, you can contact HP and beg/plead/cry until you receive one, may even need to pay for it....though they are not under any obligation to supply one as the install disk has what you will need to set things back to factory specs.
    Yeah, you and I know that, and it even sort of makes sense, but not every user is savvy enough to get that. And for some, it's a matter of "principle" not to pay the $12 to get one...not that I agree with him, but you know...
    Plantwiz wrote:
    As far as people mis-placing disks.....it is our (the repair/sales/IT person) job to educate people/end users WHAT DOES come with the system and what WILL be required when things go sideways.
    Hopefully, BEFORE it's needed. As a repair person, I end up repairing things that were bought in ignorance; we don't get to dictate what the walmart sales clerks (okay, there's no such thing anyway) or the best buy sales clerks (okay, there's no such thing as that either) tell the customers, or whether what they tell them is correct or accurate. We end up with the fallout of what someone else said to get them to buy a computer to pay their commissions.
    plantwiz wrote:
    It is also the technician's right to not service something or completely replace an item when all the components are not available.
    That depends on the policies where you work. You may have that right, and someone at some other place may not have that right.
    Plantwiz wrote:

Well, you can always use ieSpell ;)
    hmmm...never heard of that--time for training.
    Makin' it happen regardless...