VMware

bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experience of using VMware.

I was thinking about getting it to assist with my studies but I'm needing a bit more info on it.

Does it allow you to use a base Os with VM ware running multiple other os's all using the host pc's processor, memory etc.?

Can you create a domain environment using DHCP, DNS etc?

Do you need to create a partion for each os you install?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    yes, yes, and no. You don't need to create a separate partition for each OS. VMware place the virtual OS's partiton in a file you can place anywhere. For optimal performance you can store that file on a separate physical disk. When you create a new virtual machine, you can assign an amount of memory and disk space to it. When you start it and have it boot from a setup CD for example, you can create partitions (in that file I mentioned earlier) just like you would with an actual PC. You should be able to download a free demo or beta version from VMware to try it out. Also check out MS Virtual PC, which is also available as a trial version.
  • BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    bencairney wrote:
    Does it allow you to use a base Os with VM ware running multiple other os's all using the host pc's processor, memory etc.?

Yes, I boot to my normal XP setup, then I can launch VMWare and start my virtual boxes which include Server 2003, another XP, and coming soon, Red Hat. :) This does tax your system though, so the more you have up and running the more strain there is. I haven't run it on less than 512 megs of ram.
    Can you create a domain environment using DHCP, DNS etc?
    Yes. You can set up an entire LAN to practice on, which is great. Be aware though, that some bugs do exist in this virtual setup. You may try to access a file on your XP box that should be accessable, but you won't be able to hit it. Small price to pay though for the ease of the situation.
    Do you need to create a partion for each os you install?

No, just install VMWare on your drive, then when you go to create a virtual machine, you'll be able to create a virtual HD to house your new virtual OS. It's really great for practicing.

Edit: Got distracted and Webmaster beat me to it. :P
  • bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I'll get a trial downloaded. :D