Help/insight with career path?

MasterBullfrogMasterBullfrog Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently going to be a senior in the Fall majoring in CIS. I had decided that Auditing/Security would be the best focus as it's growing now, not to mention I've been told the same by many in the IT field.

Any insight into this?

I also wanted to go to grad school when I have completed my studies here but aside from my advisers I keep hearing "that's a waste of time"...what's your take on that? I thought an MBA would help down the line if I wanted to get into Project Management (which I do)

What should I be doing now before I graduate in order to negate a dreary/problematic future (in terms of after graduating)? All of the internship offers we get at my college require 1-2 years experience, etc...

Please help. Much appreciated.

edit: Also considering Forensics

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even though the internships say they require experience try for them anyway. Internships are for gaining experience.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MasterBullfrogMasterBullfrog Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Even though the internships say they require experience try for them anyway. Internships are for gaining experience.

For some reason I never thought of doing that. Thanks much
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Apply for any internship you can. As for grad school, that is a tough one. My personal feeling is go out and get some real world work experience. Then look in to getting your MBA if that is still what you want to do. You might get lucky and get hired by a company that will pay for you to go to grad school.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Apply for any internship you can. As for grad school, that is a tough one. My personal feeling is go out and get some real world work experience. Then look in to getting your MBA if that is still what you want to do. You might get lucky and get hired by a company that will pay for you to go to grad school.

I've been hearing a lot of this too, not to mention many of the schools preferring spectacular intern/job performance for admittance.

Ultimately it's something I still want to acquire, perhaps not in the time frame that I'm wishing for.
    I've been hearing a lot of this too, not to mention many of the schools preferring spectacular intern/job performance for admittance.

Ultimately it's something I still want to acquire, perhaps not in the time frame that I'm wishing for.

If getting your masters degree/MBA is something you want to do, make it your goal. My personal feeling is it's better to work in the "real world" for a couple of years, then if you still see the benefit for going back to school do it. One thing to remember is if you go to grad school and then try to find a job, you are in the same situation you might be in when you graduate with your undergraduate degree - no or little experience.

One thing to think about too is while you are in school, can you get any certifications? Maybe look at getting Security +/Network + and a Microsoft cert. Have you looked at working in the CIS department in your school? Help desk isn't glamorous, but a majority of IT professionals started off working the help desk.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The whole graduate school thing is really in my opinion a case-by-case thing. Personally I'm going to pursue it a year after I get my Bachelor degree no matter what happens. I know if I don't do it then I never will
    One thing to think about too is while you are in school, can you get any certifications? Maybe look at getting Security +/Network + and a Microsoft cert. Have you looked at working in the CIS department in your school? Help desk isn't glamorous, but a majority of IT professionals started off working the help desk.

+1, if at all possible...
    The whole graduate school thing is really in my opinion a case-by-case thing. Personally I'm going to pursue it a year after I get my Bachelor degree no matter what happens. I know if I don't do it then I never will

Just to be clear, I'm not discouraging anyone from getting a graduate degree if that is what they want. Just make sure what you get it in also works with what you want your career goals to be.

My boss has even asked me if I was interested in getting my masters degree. Right now I'm not sure if I'm willing/wanting to devote the time to it. Plus if I do decide to do it I want to go to a good school.
    Just to be clear, I'm not discouraging anyone from getting a graduate degree if that is what they want. Just make sure what you get it in also works with what you want your career goals to be.

My boss has even asked me if I was interested in getting my masters degree. Right now I'm not sure if I'm willing/wanting to devote the time to it. Plus if I do decide to do it I want to go to a good school.

Agreed, it's not like an ungraduate degree. A Master degree should be in what you want MASTER.
    Agreed, it's not like an ungraduate degree. A Master degree should be in what you want MASTER.

Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't knocking getting a masters! icon_lol.gif
    If getting your masters degree/MBA is something you want to do, make it your goal. My personal feeling is it's better to work in the "real world" for a couple of years, then if you still see the benefit for going back to school do it. One thing to remember is if you go to grad school and then try to find a job, you are in the same situation you might be in when you graduate with your undergraduate degree - no or little experience.

Thanks for the insight guys

I actually came here with the intention of finding out if I could acquire a Security+ cert while in undergrad and when I was looking at that they also stated that there is specific experience knotches that must be under your belt...is this true universally?

Or...can I start taking a whack at some of them now?

Also, do you guys see Forensics as a promising field? I was taking a look at average salaries and I'm surprised that they'd pay so low for something like that.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The experience CompTIA Recommends you having would help. It is only a recommendation thatyou have that experience. Go ahead and get it. It might be a good idea to at least study some A+ and Net+ as they kind of build on each other(especially Net+->Sec+).
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    The experience CompTIA Recommends you having would help. It is only a recommendation thatyou have that experience. Go ahead and get it. It might be a good idea to at least study some A+ and Net+ as they kind of build on each other(especially Net+->Sec+).

Thank you sir. icon_thumright.gif

Will post here later if I have any more questions.