Who here has sat any lab exam in Belgium

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
Minor thing, but a point I'd really love to know about.

I got to thinking that going to Belgium, obviously is a foreign country and all, what I'd like to know is - do they use Belgian laid out keyboards?

I'd hate to spend 12-18 months practicing and boning up my keyboard skills to find that I'll get to the lab and make typographical errors all day because I've got the wrong keyboard layout in front of me.

If need be, I'll order a Belgian keyboard and use that to practice on.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Minor thing, but a point I'd really love to know about.

I got to thinking that going to Belgium, obviously is a foreign country and all, what I'd like to know is - do they use Belgian laid out keyboards?

I'd hate to spend 12-18 months practicing and boning up my keyboard skills to find that I'll get to the lab and make typographical errors all day because I've got the wrong keyboard layout in front of me.

If need be, I'll order a Belgian keyboard and use that to practice on.

I have been going to Diegem since 2003 but never got there. At least these days I have the option of Eurostar :) Back in the day (1999) I bought the All in One CCIE study guide by Roosevelt Giles and Belgium got a mention as one of the few places in the World where you could take the lab in those days. Halifax Nova Scotia was still open back then.

People I know who have been say it's fine and the proctors are cool. My only concern is I dont think they have a wall at the testing centre where you can sign your name if you pass. I think they have that in RTP or San Jose. It would be cool to put Turgon when and if I get there. 2011 most likely, job and family permitting :)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I can recall correctly, forum member, gobind, passed his lab at Brussels. But he seldom posts.

Just found this . Looks like you have another skill to gain.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well for the sake of £10, I've gone and bought another keyboard.

If I was sitting it in a US lab, i'd probably not bother as only a few keys would be in a different layout.

As the Belgians use AZERTY, that's a whole new ball game.

The way I look at it is, I'm spending £1000 just on the lab exam, there is no way I'm going to spend that kind of cash, only to be sat in front of an unfamiliar keyboard.

Here's a quote I like from the inside of "The Prodigy - Fat of the Land" album booklet.

"Preparedness makes us strong, lard makes us fat" - I don't know why but I find that quite amusing. However, there is a lot of truth in the first part of the sentence.

Preparedness makes us stong, and hopefully passing CCIE Lab candidates too ;)
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Just asked a couple of friends who both sat labs in Belguim, both said its a qwerty layout, although the @ and " are in opposite places. Think that's a the us layout ? been a while since I played around with keyboards tho.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    Ah! Nice one. Thanks for clearing that up.

A US keyboard layout I can handle!

Cheers :)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Well for the sake of £10, I've gone and bought another keyboard.

If I was sitting it in a US lab, i'd probably not bother as only a few keys would be in a different layout.

As the Belgians use AZERTY, that's a whole new ball game.

The way I look at it is, I'm spending £1000 just on the lab exam, there is no way I'm going to spend that kind of cash, only to be sat in front of an unfamiliar keyboard.

Here's a quote I like from the inside of "The Prodigy - Fat of the Land" album booklet.

"Preparedness makes us strong, lard makes us fat" - I don't know why but I find that quite amusing. However, there is a lot of truth in the first part of the sentence.

Preparedness makes us stong, and hopefully passing CCIE Lab candidates too ;)

You're over thinking things. Just get to Diegem where some of the best engineers in the World have taken and passed the lab exam.
    Turgon wrote: »
    You're over thinking things. Just get to Diegem where some of the best engineers in the World have taken and passed the lab exam.

EDIT, OK having looked it up, Diegem is mentioned.

Cheers :)