OMG Exchange Problem!!

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
The other day we had some network issues giong on, so in that timeframe, we ran windows updates on the servers. Our exchange server now take an hour and a half to log back in (applying computer settings).

I see that not all of the exchange services are starting, so I start googling those. I see one of the services are dependant on a Forefront service...so im thinking, ok, a forefront problem. I'll fix it, and exchange will start. Long story short, I uninstalled forefront completely and exchange still wont start. I checked out the windows update log, found that exchange rollup 4 was installed - so I uninstalled it and rebooted.

I'm all out of ideas. I dont know exchange well enough to know what I can do and not lose data. Can I reinstall exchange over the existing installation? I have very minimal knowlege of exchange overall, and am on the verge of having to get a contractor to come in and look at it.

Any advice is welcome. W2k3x64 - 2 dual core processors, 10GB ram...Exchange 2k7. Its a pretty clean install, just set it up a few months ago.

Comments

• sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what errors show for why the services wont start (event viewer: app and sys log)? are you having dns problems? AD issues? most probs i have had in exch came down to dns or connectivity to AD (directory access).
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Check the event viewer, you'll usually find something in there to set you on the right track. Things that I find generally stopping Exchange services from starting are lack of connectivity to a GC so you'll want to verify that your DNS is operating smoothly and that the Exchange server can talk to it ok. Another thing to check is whether you've run out of disk space on the partition that contains your log files. That can stop Exchange in its tracks easily.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Ditto to what the others are saying. It sounds like you might be having an exchange to DC connectivity problem. Run the Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer from the toolbox area of the Exchange Management Console. This will test connectivity to AD.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Best practices analyzer connects to DC just fine. DNS is ok. Disc space and logs are ok.

Error:

System Event Logs:The Microsoft Exchange Transport service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

App Event Logs:
    Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=170icon_cool.gif. Topology discovery failed, error 0x80040a02 (DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC). Look up the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) error code specified in the event description. To do this, use Microsoft Knowledge Base article 218185, "Microsoft LDAP Error Codes." Use the information in that article to learn more about the cause and resolution to this error. Use the Ping or PathPing command-line tools to test network connectivity to local domain controllers.
    When you mentioned that the other day you had network issues going on, can you tell us what where those issues?
    joey74055 wrote: »
    When you mentioned that the other day you had network issues going on, can you tell us what where those issues?

New A/C unit was cutting power to a core switch when the compressor kicked on.

Solved it this morning. Added Exchange computer account to the Domain Admin group.

MSExchangeADTopology failed to start

Thx everyone.
    AWESOME! I am glad that you were able to get it working!!
    Ya, I couldnt sleep over it. Not being an exchange person, things were tough for me.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brad- wrote: »
    Ya, I couldnt sleep over it. Not being an exchange person, things were tough for me.

Tough spot. You did well there. In my experience four areas hurt you..core network, AD, databases and email. Always be prepared to log a support call with MS as they can help you with service dependencies without you running the risk of deinstalling things that could make matters much worse. I have logged about 4 such calls in my career, it didn't cost much and each time matters improved with Exchange, AD and last of all Terminal Server.