A whimper and a thud were all I heard

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
The 70-291 has been laid to rest, what a relief.

Typically when I complete a cert test, when I click finish I know I've passed. This time I waited in agony covering my eyes so that I wouldn't have to see my failing score...I've never been that nervous waiting for a test result (aside from my final final in college that I needed a C on to graduate!).

A minute passed and then my score was revealed...871/1000, I passed!

I've completed my MCSA, now on to the MCSE!

Edit:

I just read my post below...I've been so lost in books that I completely forgot that I even told you guys that I was about to take the test.

Fortunately I use a lot of this stuff on a nearly basis. The hardest part for me was DNS...I am quite familiar with DNS but working for small companies I just don't have the need to use all the different parts of DNS.

In any case, it's finally over. I'm disappointed that I spent so much time learning how to manually subnet though, there was barely anything on the exam about that at all (hope this isn't violating ToS).
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Congrats, man! That's great to pull off in a week. I have mine scheduled for Tuesday, so I'll hope for a similar result. :)
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on pulling it off!
    @pml1 good luck on yours.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    pml1 wrote: »
    Congrats, man! That's great to pull off in a week. I have mine scheduled for Tuesday, so I'll hope for a similar result. :)

The truth is I had been lightly studying before this past week, but I didn't get serious until this week.

I'm the sort of person that works well under the stress of unreasonable deadlines...it's always been that way unfortunately.

Thanks for your congrats, best of luck your test! Make sure you lab it up too...seemed like there were a lot more sims on this test than the others I've taken.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Congrats, that's a solid score. icon_cheers.gif I'll see you over in the 293 board.
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    Congrats, that's a solid score. icon_cheers.gif I'll see you over in the 293 board.

See you there brother!
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How does a guy study for a week and then get a better score than I did?? /glare

Congrats on the pass. I'll see you over in the 293 room.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Might have more hands on experience. May have been studying for more than a week. ;) I seriously crammed for a couple of weeks before taking this test and passing it on my 3rd try. Before that I had looked over the material off and on assuming I had a better handle on it than I did. Then again, when I finally passed it was with a score in the 900 range.
  • brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that I spent so much time learning how to manually subnet...

Congrats on the pass, 70-291 is a good test to have behind you! I'm with you on the subnetting. I used the MS Press 291 book and their ridiculous explanation had me hold off on taking this exam for several months.

If you want to confuse someone beyond belief on the process of subnetting, that method is what you should use. I think they had 4 or 5 different methods, complete with seperate formulas to use for a bunch of scenarios.
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Congrats on the pass. I'll see you over in the 293 room.

I guess it depends on what kind of experience you have and what your strengths are. I use a lot of this stuff on a daily basis, even things that most people don't use. For instance I actually use RRAS because our VPN is setup using that and when I was setting it up I had to do a lot of reading on how to get the exact setup I wanted.

That and the fact that I had no life for a week and probably studied at work a bit too much :)
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    brewd wrote: »
    If you want to confuse someone beyond belief on the process of subnetting, that method is what you should use. I think they had 4 or 5 different methods, complete with seperate formulas to use for a bunch of scenarios.

Seriously! The methods the MS Press book tells you to memorize for different scenarios are ridiculous. I found it much easier to simply learn and understand the math behind subnetting than to try to memorize all of the rules they give you.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    293 covers subnetting again. I think there will be more questions about it on that exam, so not all was in vain.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • GosU-TecHGosU-TecH Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grats man! Pretty impressive considering the timeframe you mentioned (even with prior experience)icon_thumright.gif Good luck on the 293
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass and MCSA!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63