Network Router Setup

steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm new to the boards but not computers. This is a bit of a long one but here goes.

I do basic networking all the time. I run a small computer business and do the usual network calls where the client cannot log onto, print too their wireless device.

I went to a friends place to help them out and whamo! this just don't jive.

The wireless router they have was an old DLINK that had the SSID off but no encryption enable(the reason was the router would not save the changes to permit this), so the last tech that worked on this 5 years ago shut off the SSID, and left it vulnerable to war driving with sniffers.

No problem-new router time. This is where it gets bad.

No matter what I try,(and believe me, 4 routers later, nothing worked).

Cannot get the router to communicate with the modem and pass the signal through to access the internet, either wired or wireless.

Tried the usual, IP,dnsflush,register, renew, power cycle bouth router and modem, reset, you name it. nothing will work. Some routers would not even let me login.

Yet, the only router that will work is the one with the SSID off and no protection.

I took one of the routers home and tried it on my network and there were no problems. I had it setup and protected running my home network with no issues, but could not set it up to work at my friends.

I had my laptop with me on the site and mine did not have access to the net as well so I don't think it is my friends computer, though I could be wrong as I am not a networking guru,(just starting to study for my NET+).

Been working with computers for 10 years, routers and basic networking for 1-2 years and I am A+ certified.

Any light on the possible reasoning for this failure to connect through any router but the one that has no security would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Did you power cycle the modem? Some of them will retain the MAC and won't let another device connect until its cycled.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you power cycle the modem? Some of them will retain the MAC and won't let another device connect until its cycled.

Yes, power cycled the modem, umteen times.

Thanks
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    steve2012 wrote: »
    Yes, power cycled the modem, umteen times.

Thanks

How long did you leave it off for? Some carriers can actually manually release the MAC from the device. You may want to call in to tech support and have them do it for you.

With everything you've said this is what the issue sounds like to me. Especially if they have VoIP and Internet, then the modem will have a battery built into it so power cycling does nothing.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I see this a lot with Comcast cable service around here – You may need to either leave the modem off for a WHILE or call the cable company to release the MAC. The voice integrated modems are a particular pain as phantasm mentioned, but I learned that a quick hit of the little recessed reset button and all is well.

[Disclaimer] At least with Comcast no settings are lost – not sure about other providers [/Disclaimer]
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    What kind of ISP do they have? (cable/DSL/Satellite)

Is the ISP box just a modem or a combo modem/router?

Are you altering any settings in the wireless routers before connecting them to the "modem"?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Like others have said leave it off longer or call the ISP. If that other router works then obviously nothing is wrong with the connection.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have nothing to add that hasn't already been tried. Instead I'll just be facetious.

Is it plugged in?
    :study:
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    I have nothing to add that hasn't already been tried. Instead I'll just be facetious.

Is it plugged in?

lol,

thanx for the replies.

It is a cable modem only and I powered it off for around 2-3 minutes.

I use the same isp modem and when i have run into problems on my network, I usually just cycle it for a minute or two and all is well.

I may try leaving it off longer.

thnx again,

Steve
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    As others have said, most likely you'll need to put a call in to the isp so that they can flush the arp cache on their device. I've seen it happen a whole lot over here when replacing routers.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I would ask to swap out the modem. I'd bet that's your problem.
    undomiel wrote: »
    As others have said, most likely you'll need to put a call in to the isp so that they can flush the arp cache on their device. I've seen it happen a whole lot over here when replacing routers.

Will do,

Thanks again,
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen it here too.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Hook a PC straight to the modem, then turn off the modem and PC. Turn the modem back on first then turn the PC on. If the PC picks up an IP address from your ISP then there's no MAC cache issues.

Most routers also allow you to spoof your WAN MAC address, just put in the router that works MAC address into the router you want to use and it "should" work.