Just IPS left for SP

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Tackled the SNAA today... killed it. 923.

I've been after this one for about 3 months, and am fortunate enough to use five-pairs of ASA appliances in day-to-day duties, 5520's, 40's and 50's. IPSec VPN's, the AnyConnect SSL Client, certificates... own it all.

I mostly used the Cisco Academy "Securing Networks with Cisco ASA Advanced" courseware, and cisco docs filled in the gaps, according to the blueprint.

I've very familiar with MPF as it relates to ACE modules, and found that helped a lot with a couple questions on MPF application on the ASA, cause we really don't do much of it on our ASA's, except priority queue on one pair of firewalls for UC.

Hey, like I said, just the IPS exam left. Gotta ask again, what did you SP's use to study for this bad boy? Unfortunately, we use TopLayer IPS's in our network, so this is gonna be the worst exam for me of them all... nothing to physically play with. Preciate any pointers to good material to get ready for this one.
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    Congrats on the pass!

Wish I could offer advice on the IPS exam. I've sort of been wondering the same thing myself. I'll probably start by buying the CBT Nuggets videos and then perhaps a copy of the old Carter Earl self study book. Old book but I'm sure some of the fundamentals have not changed.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    For that exam I always read that it is easiest to rent some racktime.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikearama wrote: »
    Tackled the SNAA today... killed it. 923.

I've been after this one for about 3 months, and am fortunate enough to use five-pairs of ASA appliances in day-to-day duties, 5520's, 40's and 50's. IPSec VPN's, the AnyConnect SSL Client, certificates... own it all.

I mostly used the Cisco Academy "Securing Networks with Cisco ASA Advanced" courseware, and cisco docs filled in the gaps, according to the blueprint.

I've very familiar with MPF as it relates to ACE modules, and found that helped a lot with a couple questions on MPF application on the ASA, cause we really don't do much of it on our ASA's, except priority queue on one pair of firewalls for UC.

Hey, like I said, just the IPS exam left. Gotta ask again, what did you SP's use to study for this bad boy? Unfortunately, we use TopLayer IPS's in our network, so this is gonna be the worst exam for me of them all... nothing to physically play with. Preciate any pointers to good material to get ready for this one.

CONGRATS on your pass!!! icon_thumright.gif

Good luck on your IPS exam.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats Mike on the pass!! I was told in a different thread you can get by just fine using rack rental time or a vmware instance of the IPS. My team lead also said when it comes time for me to take the exam we'll just request a 90 day trial of the unit the current test will be based upon. Maybe try that with your company's Cisco SE?
  • god_of_thundergod_of_thunder Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the IPS exam guide + a few rental sessions should be enough for the IPS exam. If you have the time you can have a fully functional IPS sensor running version 5 on vmware.
    Get JNCIA-Junos by Dec 31st.
    Then pursue the loftiest goal ever.
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    shednik wrote: »
    My team lead also said when it comes time for me to take the exam we'll just request a 90 day trial of the unit the current test will be based upon. Maybe try that with your company's Cisco SE?

Brilliant. I'm all over that. Wonder what he's gonna say when he finds out I snagged it just to pass the exam. Hell, he's an IE, he should take it in stride.

I bought the Nuggets for this baby, and found the IPS Exam Certification Guide by Carter Earl online (pdf) and picked it up. It's for the 532, but it should do.

Thanks guys.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    With a demo unit, does Cisco allow you to download and install different system software? I'd expect the new IPS appliances to ship with version 7.0. I believe the exam blueprint is based off 6.0.
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    JSK wrote: »
    With a demo unit, does Cisco allow you to download and install different system software? I'd expect the new IPS appliances to ship with version 7.0. I believe the exam blueprint is based off 6.0.

Ah, good call. I'll let you know when it gets here. I'm sure I'll be able to throw 6 on it, and then just jack it back up to 7 when I send it back. Here's hoping, anyway.

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great job man, I'm jealous.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/