How desirable is the CCNA Security in the market?

AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
Well, somebody I have been doing small jobs asked me to get the CCNA security certification. It will be required by some jobs soon, now i will be given some money for books and will be reimbursed the exam fee.

I was wondering how desirable is this certification in the job market. I did the CCNA Voice because seeing so many jobs requesting VoIP technicians I thought it was going to open doors. It didnt. Now I will get this one but I dont see many jobs offers requiring it in my country.

I am ready to take both ROUTE and SWITCH exams and havent taken them because of time and budget constraints. Learning network security cant hurt, but I think the CCNA security by itself doesnt add to much value. Am I wrong?
Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rough call. I haven't seen any job postings around here asking for it (DC/MD/VA); its usually CCNA or CCNP or CCIE or CCVP or CCSP and never the associate specialties. This is not to say employers don't take notice of your initiative. In terms of knowledge, it is nice to have it if you are dealing in a security capacity with Cisco devices. I may be completely off base but I see the CCNA:S as a baseline into security with Cisco and from there, if you find yourself getting deeper in MARS or ASA/PIX then the CCSP would be what you'd push for.
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    In US, Voice is pretty hot atm. I mean CCIE:Voice ...
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCNA Security hasn't done anything for me but take up space on my resume. I didn't learn thing that wasn't already covered on the CCDP and CCNP tracks. I haven't seen it requested much and its relatively obscure. Cisco missed the boat with the "ccna-whatever" format rather than just calling it CCSA or something similar.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    The CCNA Security hasn't done anything for me but take up space on my resume. I didn't learn thing that wasn't already covered on the CCDP and CCNP tracks. I haven't seen it requested much and its relatively obscure. Cisco missed the boat with the "ccna-whatever" format rather than just calling it CCSA or something similar.

They probably didn't want to have to fight checkpoint over naming.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »

I hope they change the naming conventions at some point. I think most HR goons just see multiple "CCNAs" and assume "Hey, he/she got their CCNA" and thats it.
    knwminus wrote: »

I don't really care if its CCSA or something else. I think the specialty certs are watered down by tagging them with CCNA. It makes it seem like CCNA+ add-on modules.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I don't really care if its CCSA or something else. I think the specialty certs are watered down by tagging them with CCNA. It makes it seem like CCNA+ add-on modules.

Yes, some people have asked me "what you mean by CCNA Voice?" They inmediately assume it's some kind of CCNA with SOME specialty in voice...they are not seeing it as a different new certifcation.

I think those certifications are more for people looking to work in a Business Partner environment.

The person who said it has nothing above the CCNP level mmust be talking about the retired CCNP curriculum with the ICSW exam, because i have studied extensively or the ROUTE and SWITCH exams, and read most of the CCNA security book and it has way, way more security material than that found in the new CCNP curriculum.
    That's a disappointment. I did the older route and the ISCW was critical knowledge.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you intend on pursuing the CCSP then the CCNA:Security is a good starting point being that it's a prerequisite* to the CCSP track. I am taking the CCNA:Security for this very reason.

*There are other qualifying prerequisites. :)
    Lab on!
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    To be honest, I was wondering the same thing the OP does, but the way I've seen it for a while now, is that it's the stepping stone to CCSP, and that's how I'm going to look at it. You cannot really expect a HR person to know what CCNA Security is.

Now if you say Security+, they might get that. I agree with Paul though, Cisco messed up with the speciality certifications, because they are not being requested, and it does not fill a need.

That's what happens when you try to water down the CCNP, (not really but you know what I mean0
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like to think of the CCNA Specializations as the "snack packs" (CCNA:Security, CCNA:Voice, CCNA:Wireless). They can differentiate you from all the other plain common ordinary CCNAs out there looking for jobs -- or you can consider them a "sampler" to see if you like the subject area before you move on to the Professional Level Cisco Certifications (CCSP, CCVP, CCNP:Wireless) and hopefully gain some marketable skills.

CCNP:Wireless icon_rolleyes.gif Hum, sounds like just another CCNP add-on.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I like to think of the CCNA Specializations as the "snack packs" (CCNA:Security, CCNA:Voice, CCNA:Wireless). They can differentiate you from all the other plain common ordinary CCNAs out there looking for jobs -- or you can consider them a "sampler" to see if you like the subject area before you move on to the Professional Level Cisco Certifications (CCSP, CCVP, CCNP:Wireless) and hopefully gain some marketable skills.

CCNP:Wireless icon_rolleyes.gif Hum, sounds like just another CCNP add-on.

I agree. CCNA + CCNA specialization > CCNA.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□

Maybe Cisco should call them CCNA blades. icon_lol.gif
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I hope they change the naming conventions at some point. I think most HR goons just see multiple "CCNAs" and assume "Hey, he/she got their CCNA" and thats it.

Best. Post. Ever.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

hahaha, well with your CCNP, CCIP, and CCDP, I'd say it hasn't done anything for you either :)
    CCNP :study:
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

I haven't had this problem. People in my area know the difference between the CCNA and CCNA:Security. It isn't our responsibility to make them aware of the cert, only aware of the fact we have it. They should do a little research on some of the strange letters on someones resume. A quick google would solve that. They need to give a damn and put some effort into it just like we did when we completed the certs IMO.
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    IMO, they should come up with new names for CCNA:V,S,W

Like CCVA, CCSA, and CCWA, just to clear the confusions.icon_twisted.gif
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    so the general consensus is that CCNA Security is good for nothing more than filling up your resume and/or a stepping stone to the CCSP?
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    DPG wrote: »
    I agree. CCNA + CCNA specialization > CCNA.

exactly tellme if someone must pick between a ccna or a ccna + ccna security

of course he would pick the guy with two certifications if you can get another cert get it isnt a bad thing icon_wink.gif
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    AlexMR wrote: »
    Well, somebody I have been doing small jobs asked me to get the CCNA security certification. It will be required by some jobs soon, now i will be given some money for books and will be reimbursed the exam fee.

I was wondering how desirable is this certification in the job market. I did the CCNA Voice because seeing so many jobs requesting VoIP technicians I thought it was going to open doors. It didnt. Now I will get this one but I dont see many jobs offers requiring it in my country.

I am ready to take both ROUTE and SWITCH exams and havent taken them because of time and budget constraints. Learning network security cant hurt, but I think the CCNA security by itself doesnt add to much value. Am I wrong?

tell me it was because you dont have any exp in the real world for Voice
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    tell me it was because you dont have any exp in the real world for Voice

Yes, I think that was the reason. I want to believe that's the reason.

the job market is awful here. simply terrible. I've been unable to land any decent interviews and I have kept on studying. I havent taken the CCNP exams but I do list preparation for both ROUTE and SWITCH exam, and even a study guide I wrote for the SWITCH exam.

My next certification will be CCNA Security because it was requested by somebody I do some works for, as I said. i hope it adds up. A dual CCIE who will join the team soon saw my resume and he said that I had to keep on pushing, and eventually somebody will consider and notice my efforts. I will keep on pushing, but in all honesty, it is really frustrating.

I got my CCNA two years ago... I never thought it was going to be this difficult to get started in IT/Cisco networking.
  • *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    AlexMR wrote: »
    A dual CCIE who will join the team soon saw my resume and he said that I had to keep on pushing, and eventually somebody will consider and notice my efforts. I will keep on pushing, but in all honesty, it is really frustrating.

Dont know if it will help with being more desirable, but some of the stuff on this topic will help with the SWITCH studies.

Keep pushing and people will notice. Its helped me get a new job in LAN engineering where I currently work. All the equipment I can now get my hands on puts my home lab to shame. My eyes popped out of my head when they showed me the lab they have. 3750's of every flavor floor to ceiling, 3845s/7206VXRs just sitting on shelves, tons of cards and modules. On Friday, I just found a pile of new Cisco wireless equipment sitting in boxes in the corner. I've still got to go through it but I asked my boss about it and she said open the stuff up and play with it if I wanted to. Uh, yeah, I do want to play with it!

So keep on it and the payoff will come. Its only a matter of time.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I think it is silly naming convention. But a security position has opened up at my company and they love certs so after passing the BSCI 2 weeks before it was gone I am putting switch on hold to do security (hopefully) quick. The material seems like I should know this already, but I was surprised to find a lot of things that I had no clue about. Makes it worthwhile to do something different and learn things along the way. Even if it doesn't make me look like a champ on my resume.