Options

Cisco AP1131 - Placement

hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
I have 4 air-ap1131g-a-k9 to install a building -- these are the models with built-in antenna (2.4 only).

Since the antenna is integrated, I can't find a manual on how I should position these things. The hardware installation manual says to position them facing down from the ceiling (not on a wall) for heat disiptation (which seems weird to me in itself?) but what about radio coverage?

Cisco.com: making easy things difficult since 1994™.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I just bolted them to the ceiling facing down in the center of the areas I needed WiFi...

The bottom of the AP is metal and the PCB uses it as the heatsink so thats why they want you to mount it like that. I've never sidemounted a 1131AG but the 1242AGs I've sidemounted have been fine but they're metal all over.
  • Options
    DeliriousDelirious Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've found that the backs of them do get warm and they perform well by placing as suggested, facing down from the ceiling as long as its a large fairly open space. If its not an open space I would place it close to where coverage is needed most and high up on a wall.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    tiersten wrote: »
    I just bolted them to the ceiling facing down in the center of the areas I needed WiFi...

The bottom of the AP is metal and the PCB uses it as the heatsink so thats why they want you to mount it like that. I've never sidemounted a 1131AG but the 1242AGs I've sidemounted have been fine but they're metal all over.

Yeah, the 1242's do get hot, but I also have never had an issue with them at any angle. This is my first experiment in 1131's.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Yeah, the 1242's do get hot, but I also have never had an issue with them at any angle. This is my first experiment in 1131's.
    The WiFi signal radiates from the top side of the 1131 and the antennas are in pairs on each side of the AP. I can't remember which side was what radio though.

Cisco say that it is acceptable to wall mount the 1131AG anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't expect too great of a signal behind it because of the metal base plate.