Options

my lab is up and running =)

RFWiFiGuyRFWiFiGuy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just finished ICND 1 and 2 bootcamps and was building this lab during the first and second weeks of the course. I think it will do for now, but I'm on the CVoice, and CCNP track and have already paid the $11k for the schools.

Being a wireless engineer, and after taking a look at the CCNA Wireless objectives, I'm definitely adding that to the list of exams to take.

ciscolab221a.jpgQuestion:

I have a few extra slots in the rack and was thinking of getting a voice router (2801?) and a few 7940's to practice. Also thinking about a Cisco 2509 to make access easier. What are your recommendations?

Lab Specs:
1 7100 Cisco VPN Router
1 2600 Cisco Router
2 2516 Cisco Routers
2 2900 Cisco Catalyst XL Switches
1 2950 Cisco Switch
1 400 Cisco FastHub

Comments

• Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That looks like fun stuff you got there... No coffee maker in the rack? no beer dispenser? My god man! how can you live like that... icon_lol.gif

Just kidding, The 2801 sounds like a good choice, though unless your budget allows it you should start hunting for them on ebay sometimes you see good deals there just (as you may well know) make sure you buy from a reputable seller if ebay is your choice. I just wanted to give your props on the setup... It'll deff. come in handy to achieve your testing skills...
    Regards
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    As you intend to do the CCNP, I'd downgrade the two 2900XLs to third/fourth switch duty. The 2950 goes to second and you buy a 3550 or 3560. The FastHub I'd disconnect to save on electricity and repurpose it as a door stop. There are plenty of threads about what is a good router for CCNA and beyond.

Routers you'll probably want ones that can run 12.4 with a decent feature set. 2600XMs or better would be good in this case.

A 2509 or 2511 or some other console server would be very handy.

You'll find that the requirements for any kind of Cisco wireless lab are ludicrously expensive because they expect you to have a WLC or two. If you don't have access to that sort of equipment via school/work then people generally get by from remembering the details in the manual or rack rental.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A 2800 would definitely get the job done, but it might be overkill price-wise. Take a look through the CCNA-Voice section, theres plenty of threads on the topic. I'd also consider a second 2950 or a 3550 since those 2900xl's are a bit limited and are better as a 3rd or 4th switch than as a primary one.

And as far a the 2509, you may want to consider a 2911 or slapping a NM-4a into your 2600. You're already close to maxing out a 2509 and there's no point in not having any room for growth already.

Welcome to the forum, and props on a great looking lab!
  • Options
    Cisco access servers:

2509 = 8 async serial ports from one octal cable + 2 DB60 async/sync serial + AUI ethernet
    2511 = 16 async serial ports from two octal cables + 2 DB60 async/sync serial + AUI ethernet
    2511-RJ = 16 async serial ports from 16 RJ45 sockets + 1 DB60 async/sync serial + AUI ethernet

Cisco NM capable router + one of the following:

NM-4A/S = 4 async/sync serial ports from 4 DB60 sockets You'll need to find/make a cable that goes from DB60 to the RJ45 console cable pinout though.
    NM-8A/S = 8 async/sync serial ports from 8 DB60 sockets. You'll need to find/make a cable that goes from DB60 to the RJ45 console cable pinout though.
    NM-16A = 16 async serial ports from two octal cables.
    NM-32A = 32 async serial ports from four octal cables.

I'll leave out the HWICs as I doubt anybody is willing to blow that much $$$ for a console server.

The octal cables have a high density DB68 plug on one end and 8 RJ45 plugs on the other. You can just plug those straight into the console ports. The 2511-RJ doesn't need the octal cables but you'll need to crimp rollover cables.

You don't have to get a Cisco device as your console server. Some people have bought and used other brands like Cyclades. You'll have to do the necessary research into the wiring needed though.
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    in many of the "my lab rack" posts, everyone has neat cabling.

Ashamed to say, mine is spaghetti .. I constantly move ethernet cables around between vlans, switches, and the lot. I clean it up, 10 minutes later I'm undoing it, gave up on clean cabling.

If it was me, **** the 2516s. the repeater ports aren't worth messing around with.

I'd just save nickles, dimes and quarters for 2600xms with 12.4 &> IOS with WIC 1Ts. Get a couple 2950Ts with EI, and as everyone else says, spend the bigger money on a layer 3 switch.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A 2516 is actually very handy. For one thing, you don't need the AUI adapter. And 2500's can run up to 12.3 if you max them out.

Definitely not your top router, but very handy (and affordable) when labbing up scenarios requiring multiple routers.

You will eventually want a terminal server (I use a 2511). But that can wait, as long as you don't mind running console cables here and there as needed.

Nice start, good luck with it!

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    The budget option is to buy a big bag of USB serial adapters and a USB hub so you can plug them all in at the same time. Unless you get adapters with a burnt in or programmable serial number (like FTDI based ones), don't expect the COM port numbers to stay the same though.
  • Options
    RFWiFiGuyRFWiFiGuy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've thought of buying all usb to serial adapters and a hub as well. I'm trying to keep the whole setup cheap- using only craigslist and ebay and so far have kept it all under $300.

Haha, the C400 Hub was free, I know it's worthless, but I like to delve into layer 2 at times =)icon_study.gif
    tiersten wrote: »
    The budget option is to buy a big bag of USB serial adapters and a USB hub so you can plug them all in at the same time. QUOTE]
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's a man who knows how to invest. If only I had the funds. Wait... i just got a new job. I do! I should have a lab post soon then, awsome!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    There's a man who knows how to invest. If only I had the funds. Wait... i just got a new job. I do! I should have a lab post soon then, awsome!

We'll be waiting. :)