Ticketing System

dubhubbdubhubb Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I work for a fairly small company and was interested in setting up a ticketing/issue tracking system. Just curious as to what everyone else is using? Any recommendations?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • dubhubbdubhubb Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What are the specs of the PC/Server you have it installed on? I actually setup spiceworks a while ago, but I didn't get to far with as using the web interface was pretty sluggish. I had installed it on the only thing we availbile for testing, which was a 5 year old PC :)
    dubhubb wrote: »
    What are the specs of the PC/Server you have it installed on? I actually setup spiceworks a while ago, but I didn't get to far with as using the web interface was pretty sluggish. I had installed it on the only thing we availbile for testing, which was a 5 year old PC :)

Dell Server

2 GHz, 12GB RAM, 2003R2

From Spiceworks:

Spiceworks - The Free IT Desktop
    System Requirements

• Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2003 Server SP1, SP2 and R2, & Windows 2008 Server
    • 1.0 GHz Pentium III class processor
    • 1.0 GB RAM
    Browser Requirements

• Firefox 3.0 - 3.5
    • Internet Explorer 7.0 - 8.0
    • Google Chrome 2.0
    Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will have to dig a little deeper into Spiceworks to see what all it offers, and hopefully try to get it installed on something a little quicker.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We're running Spiceworks on a machine that's at the very bottom of the specs. It works, but yeah it's a wee bit slow. I've been looking at other products though because they still don't have a ticket merging feature. I've got several employees that I can't hammer it through their head to quit making separate tickets for the same issue.

I'll probably be stuck with Spiceworks for a while though. Our company lost a lot of money on the gulf coast hurricanes a few years ago, so we've gotten accustomed to being denied several things on our proposed budgets. icon_sad.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    Has anyone had experience with: Best Practical: RT: Request Tracker

It was recommended in a book I was reading, The Practice of System and Network Administration, which is a really great read for anyone interested.

Looks like it has lots of great features, but getting it setup seems like it would be a daunting task for anyone not to familiar with Linux, which would be me.
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    dubhubb wrote: »
    Has anyone had experience with: Best Practical: RT: Request Tracker

It was recommended in a book I was reading, The Practice of System and Network Administration, which is a really great read for anyone interested.

Looks like it has lots of great features, but getting it setup seems like it would be a daunting task for anyone not to familiar with Linux, which would be me.

I own that book. It's fantastic. RT, however, is not. There is a LOT of stuff to do to even get it installed, as it's all Perl-based and requires tons of modules from CPAN. The interface is kinda crap. There is way better software available.

My major complaint with that book, and if you've gotten as far as the mention of RT, is that he's very biased to *NIX solutions. Much of his software recommendations aren't very good...anymore. When things were different, say, 2001 when the first edition was released, RT was quite nice.

I'm a big fan of Kayako, but it's a paid solution.

osTicket is a nice free solution.

I'm not a big fan of Spiceworks. It feels way too messy for my tastes.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also like osTicket and have it setup for use in our department, does the job well. The only shortcomings of our ticket system stem entirely from the shortcomings of our staff not using it and resorting to post-it's and legal pad's.
  • BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another vote for Spiceworks here - for small businesses it's great and it's in a constant state of development
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Years ago I tested out Cerberus Helpdesk. It was supereasy to install even for Linux n00b. I loved the interface, as well.

Cerberus Helpdesk .::. by WebGroup Media, LLC -- Helpdesk, Email Management, Trouble Ticket System, Customer Relationship Management

The cost for us was quite expensive. It looks like they hosted SaaS options now, though. The price seems reasonable; $10/concurrent helpdesk/tech user per month.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We're in the process of migrating from a 18 year old Peregrine system to ServiceDesk+. We can only access our current system with IE6 using MS Java, so yeah it has it's short-comings!
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I also like osTicket and have it setup for use in our department, does the job well. The only shortcomings of our ticket system stem entirely from the shortcomings of our staff not using it and resorting to post-it's and legal pad's.

Ditto, I set this up roughly a year ago, it's nice when our staff actually uses it.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ive had some really good experiences with OTRS and GLPI
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    We're in the process of migrating from a 18 year old Peregrine system to ServiceDesk+. We can only access our current system with IE6 using MS Java, so yeah it has it's short-comings!

My best of luck to you. While the product is decent, they are absolutely terrible about rolling out bug fixes and feature updates without properly testing things. Once you finally get a nice feature you have been waiting for or a fix for a bug, expect to wait another one or two patch cycles before whatever they broke is fixed (along with the original bug).

We had subscribed for our license for a year, and quickly ran away after that year was up.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Another vote for Kayako Support Suite.
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    cant remember the cost..
    but we're running Track-IT
    @KoolTrix

He lives! Haven't seen you on here in a while... icon_wink.gif
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KoolTrix wrote: »
    cant remember the cost..
    but we're running Track-IT
    Ugh. I used that when I was working for the school district. It was okay. I had some issues once where when users submitted tickets it wouldn't go through. But I think it was a user error on their part.

Right now I'm using Kaseya.

It's awesome.

Tickets get submitted. All the computers are listed within the program, and you take VNC into their machine and fix any problems.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I have used Spiceworks, OsTicket, and am currently using OTRS.

Spiceworks was great until the inventory got above 200 or so computers then it slowed to a halt.
    There Is a new Beta that is suppose to be much better though.

osTicket is an awesome open source solution. If you don't mind doing a little work you can pretty much make it into anything you need. If i was setting up a ticket system again and did not want to do OTRS i would do osTicket.

OTRS
    currently using it now, it works great for what i needed. I needed something that would allow me to scale better. I needed to be able in the future to have different tiers of support and I think OTRS will allow that. Not to mention, I just wanted to set it up.
  • KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    lol im alive.. just busy. difficult trying to kickstart your IT career..
  • derikderik Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I’ve only played around with the demo on their site FocalScope.com and gone through their feature list, butI must say this looks like a very decent help desk system, great for ticketing and issue tracking. The interface is fast and sleek and feels like a regular email client. Perhaps give this one a test drive.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    For a small company I'd recommend Spiceworks. For something larger, OTRS.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cant belive no one has mentioned Remedy or Jira. Thats all I have ever used in the past.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remedy generally requires a dedicated person to make it work.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Remedy generally requires a dedicated person to make it work.

Or 10..
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    + few 100k to get things moving. Remedy only worth it for the big guys. unless you have the resorces, time and money to make full use of it Remedy is a money pit that many other cheaper solutions will do a much better job for you.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    This topic comes up a lot... Remedy isn't that hard if you know what you're doing, but then again I was forced to know what I was doing with it once, so it's easy for me to say that. :P It is very powerful, but does take a lot of configuration, not really an out of the box solution.

ServiceDesk+ is another one I've used.

I always wanted to try "Microsoft System Center: Service Manager", not sure what the cost or complexities are on that one.

Peregrine Systems "Service Center" used to be another big player in this arena... Remedy was related to it for a while... now HP owns it, and BMC owns Remedy. I think HP calls it "Service Manager Center" now.