MCSA:Security

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
So, I hopefully will pass 70-291 on August 31st.

However, I am looking to get the Security Specialization as well.

If I'm reading this correctly - is 70-699 the only exam required now?

Systems Administrator| MCSA | Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator

Nevermind, that's a recert. My bad!

Comments

• powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's not how I see it. That is an "update" exam that Microsoft created when the MCSE: Security was on the DoD 8570 which required it to have a "maintenance" plan for the certification. So, you would attain your MCSE: Security, and then every three years you would take 70-699 to "maintain" it. The MCSE: Security is no longer on the DoD 8570, so I don't know if there is much value in its existence any longer.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I am on this track myself, but I think I'm going for the full MCSE:S route, since I am going for 70-299 side; 299 incorporates all previous security related materials in the MCSE track.

Without getting too political what exactly makes something DoD 8570 or not?
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
    DoD 8570 is just a Department of Defense directive for CND (Computer Network Defense) employees and contractors. If you fill a certain role you are required to get and maintain certain certifications.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For the security specialization, you can need 2 security exams. They can be the 299, Security+, 70-350 - this expires October 31, 2010 or the 70-351. You can also use the CISSP, CISM, CISA, or SSCP exams.

Good luck on the 291.
    there is mcitp you ever thought about dat

That is an easy upgrade after completing the 2003 exams. Plus there is no "security" related MCITP.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    That's not how I see it. That is an "update" exam that Microsoft created when the MCSE: Security was on the DoD 8570 which required it to have a "maintenance" plan for the certification. So, you would attain your MCSE: Security, and then every three years you would take 70-699 to "maintain" it. The MCSE: Security is no longer on the DoD 8570, so I don't know if there is much value in its existence any longer.

See my above edit in bold.

I realized it after the fact.

I will take 70-299 & Security+
    there is mcitp you ever thought about dat

Sure I have, but I'm already one exam from MCSA, and the security specialization will benefit my career. MCITP will come after MCSA/MCSE for me, easy upgrade. Also, I'm going for what benefits my career, not just something newer. icon_wink.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure I have, but I'm already one exam from MCSA, and the security specialization will benefit my career. MCITP will come after MCSA/MCSE for me, easy upgrade. Also, I'm going for what benefits my career, not just something newer. icon_wink.gif
    I don't recall what your emphasis is at WGU. Are you Network Design and management? If you are then I don't know how they work it if you can take the upgrade path to get the MCITP:EA or if you would have to take all the exams.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    I don't recall what your emphasis is at WGU. Are you Network Design and management? If you are then I don't know how they work it if you can take the upgrade path to get the MCITP:EA or if you would have to take all the exams.

I was network design and management. Switching into IT Management in October, however.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was network design and management. Switching into IT Management in October, however.

Ah, now I see what you are doing. Smart move for your situation!
    Ah, now I see what you are doing. Smart move for your situation!

Check my blog - I have all the reasons why I switched.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    7 Great Cisco Networking Engineers to Learn From — NetworkingExamAcademy was a really informative read. It really got me to thinking about my plans (or lack thereof) and got me thinking about where I might want to go in the future. I'm close to done (4 classes left) with my BSIT but if I go for a masters it would more likely be an MBA and not a security specialization which would go largely ignored.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check my blog - I have all the reasons why I switched.

Good read.
    earweed wrote: »
    7 Great Cisco Networking Engineers to Learn From — NetworkingExamAcademy was a really informative read. It really got me to thinking about my plans (or lack thereof) and got me thinking about where I might want to go in the future. I'm close to done (4 classes left) with my BSIT but if I go for a masters it would more likely be an MBA and not a security specialization which would go largely ignored.

I'll be interviewing some really high level IT guys that we're all familiar with (I mean hey - they write the books we read!) on my blog shortly. So look for that.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, I hopefully will pass 70-291 on August 31st.

However, I am looking to get the Security Specialization as well.

If I'm reading this correctly - is 70-699 the only exam required now?

Nevermind, that's a recert. My bad!

The 699 does fulfil the requirement of MCSA Security right? According to this, I am not sure:

knwminus wrote: »
    The 699 does fulfil the requirement of MCSA Security right? According to this, I am not sure:

According to that, and the intent of the exam, I am going to have to say no. Plus, it isn't on the certification planners as fulfilling the requirements. That was designed for the DoD 8570 because they wanted recertification. So, you get MCSA or MCSE with the Security specialization, and then within three years take 70-699, and retake it every three years, thereafter. You will still hold your certification even if you do not do it, but you wouldn't be recognized as maintaining by DoD. They don't care anymore, though, as they dropped the certification from the DoD 8570, anyhow.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    According to that, and the intent of the exam, I am going to have to say no. Plus, it isn't on the certification planners as fulfilling the requirements. That was designed for the DoD 8570 because they wanted recertification. So, you get MCSA or MCSE with the Security specialization, and then within three years take 70-699, and retake it every three years, thereafter. You will still hold your certification even if you do not do it, but you wouldn't be recognized as maintaining by DoD. They don't care anymore, though, as they dropped the certification from the DoD 8570, anyhow.

That's what I thought. I guess I won't be doing MCSA Security. I really thought the objectives of that test look interesting. 299 doesn't give me the same feeling. Oh well.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knwminus wrote: »
    That's what I thought. I guess I won't be doing MCSA Security. I really thought the objectives of that test look interesting. 299 doesn't give me the same feeling. Oh well.

299 basically recaps the security material from 291 and 293. If you're that far, you shouldn't have a problem with it.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    70-298 is a lot like 70-299 so might as well go full board for MCSE:Security. That's what I'm planning. :D
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.