Quick question about Packet Tracer

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hi guys,

I've searched, but can't find anything definitive about whether or not there is any other way to obtain Packet Tracer (legally) other than through the Cisco Academy.

I've seen some threads debating the moral relativism of downloading it, and I'm not looking to start any kind of debate, but I'd really like to put my hands on this software in a legitimate way without shelling out the bucks for the training. My hope is that there is some way to pay for just this piece of software or maybe there is some Cisco training material that includes this. Any help would be appreciated.

My apologies if this has been answered before multiple times. Thanks.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    I've searched, but can't find anything definitive about whether or not there is any other way to obtain Packet Tracer (legally) other than through the Cisco Academy.
    Nope. Unless you're enrolled in the Cisco Networking Academy or an alumni you can't get it legally.
    My hope is that there is some way to pay for just this piece of software or maybe there is some Cisco training material that includes this. Any help would be appreciated.
    Try the Cisco Press CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator by Wendell Odom.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thank you for the quick response. I'll look into the Network Simulator. It's a shame there isn't a legal way to obtain Packet Tracer, but I'll manage without it.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Try the GNS3 for your router study. You can simulate it like a real router, just download the IOS through cisco. If you are willing to buy some simulator, better check out the real cisco router and switches on e-bay. There are many IOS commands that is not running in Packet Tracer 5.3 specially on switches.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jojopramos wrote: »
    Try the GNS3 for your router study. You can simulate it like a real router, just download the IOS through cisco. If you are willing to buy some simulator, better check out the real cisco router and switches on e-bay. There are many IOS commands that is not running in Packet Tracer 5.3 specially on switches.

A GNS3 and Real Switch combo is pretty commonly used.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    jojopramos wrote: »
    just download the IOS through cisco
    You need a SMARTnet maintenance contract to do that and its not legal either.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »

I always wondered about that. What is the TOS about usage of the IOS with the contract?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    A GNS3 and Real Switch combo is pretty commonly used.

You can get by without real switches too if your budget prohibits gear: Free CCNA Workbook

Although for the OP, I still suggest trying to pick up SOMETHING to get some real hands on.
    chmorin wrote: »
    I always wondered about that. What is the TOS about usage of the IOS with the contract?
    You're only supposed to download IOS files for devices which you've got a SMARTnet contract on. Each device needs its own SMARTnet contract and IOS is only licensed for Cisco hardware.

Just so I understand correctly, if the above is illegal, what is the legal way of using Cisco IOS with GNS3, or is there one?

I'm not trying to be naive, as I understand that most people use the very available tools out there to self-study, but if I can't find a way to legally lab for this without buying the hardware, I'll just have to wait until my finances permit the hardware.

In any case, thank you all for the replies and suggestions.
    Just so I understand correctly, if the above is illegal, what is the legal way of using Cisco IOS with GNS3, or is there one?
    There isn't one.
    but if I can't find a way to legally lab for this without buying the hardware, I'll just have to wait until my finances permit the hardware.
    Thats not allowed under the IOS license either. The license to use IOS is non transferrable and you're supposed to relicense it from Cisco when you buy secondhand hardware.

It is unlikely that Cisco will do anything about a home lab for personal usage only which uses the existing IOS file on there which the seller left for "testing" purposes. It is also unlikely that Cisco will do anything if you then decide to transfer it to your PC for usage under Dynamips/GNS3. However, if you download from various sites online, start sharing those files or get a SMARTnet contract and start mass downloading files you don't have contracts for then you may end up with a nasty lawyer letter in the mail demanding various things.

The fully legal method is to buy brand new hardware or buy second hand hardware and then pay to relicense IOS or whatever. Add in whatever it costs for the relevant feature sets you need as well.
    There isn't one.

Thats not allowed under the IOS license either. The license to use IOS is non transferrable and you're supposed to relicense it from Cisco when you buy secondhand hardware.

It is unlikely that Cisco will do anything about a home lab for personal usage only which uses the existing IOS file on there which the seller left for "testing" purposes. It is also unlikely that Cisco will do anything if you then decide to transfer it to your PC for usage under Dynamips/GNS3. However, if you download from various sites online, start sharing those files or get a SMARTnet contract and start mass downloading files you don't have contracts for then you may end up with a nasty lawyer letter in the mail demanding various things.

The fully legal method is to buy brand new hardware or buy second hand hardware and then pay to relicense IOS or whatever. Add in whatever it costs for the relevant feature sets you need as well.

Ah, I see now. Thank you for the clear explanation. I don't have the money to buy new, so I will have to hit up the CCNA with just a simulator and books. While I would very much like to have some hands on experience, I'm not willing to compromise my integrity to get it. icon_wink.gif

Thanks again for the information.