Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Made it through CLC1 today. I agree with erp from earlier that it is tough using the webcam at home and I only had 33 questions. It is just so very convenient. 10 credits done the first month...to bad I can't keep up this pace...lol.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Made it through CLC1 today. I agree with erp from earlier that it is tough using the webcam at home and I only had 33 questions. It is just so very convenient. 10 credits done the first month...to bad I can't keep up this pace...lol.

Good job, jmj and yeah, I am glad someone sees what I mean. :)

So what's next, buddy?
  • Options
    I still have Javascript left to finish, which will take a bit to get done since I have very little experience with it. Then I am hoping to get the 2 science classes and 3 math classes done this term.
    I'm taking the rest of the weekend off and then hit the ground running again on Monday.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on that! Yeah that pace can get to you. Last term I did 9 the first month 6 the second and 6 the third and it burnt me out just doing 4 classes. I tried to not take a break until my mind and body forced me to.
    I always do better when I'm trying to do more at once like at the end of last (Sep-Feb) term I was getting ready for the Sec+, Javascript, starting my Java class, and starting the web design. I was at the point of doing the taskstream assignment for the javascript and could have taken the web design test in March. My program changed March 1 and Java and web design were no longer required so I just took the Javascript and Sec+ in March, Then took the 2 server classes to polish off the term.
    Now I'll be starting my new term ready for the 70-643 test and with my paper for Technical writing done then I'm gonna take a weeks break and start on my Capstone paper and study for the 70-647. I'll have 5 months to finish off my 25 CUs for next term.( BHV1-6, BIV1-6,TWA1-4, and CPW3-9) The project is already done I just have to write the big paper for the 9 CUs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    My Update:

Passed Organizational Behavior Exam on Thursday - 79% icon_smile.gif

Leadership course should be done today or tommorow just have two task left

Then i start on technical writing and capstone and I am done icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Update:

Finishing the Sybex Project+ book tonight. I read a decent amount of the PK-002 version of the Sybex Project+ book and new one is far superior to the older version. This new book is actually enjoyable, and will make studying for the Project+ easier to achieve.

Yes Virginia, there is a project management book that makes it easy to understand! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Update:
    Doing the examfarce (for 70-643) because my mentor requires it and just finished pass 2. Technical writing paper is written just waiting for start of term to sign up for course and get it turned in. 70-643 exam scheduled for September 7 unless I chicken out before then and reschedule. Did a 54% on my measure up and a 45% on the Transcender yeaterday so not confident. Rereading some sections of the book starting tomorrow.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Update:

Finishing the Sybex Project+ book tonight. I read a decent amount of the PK-002 version of the Sybex Project+ book and new one is far superior to the older version. This new book is actually enjoyable, and will make studying for the Project+ easier to achieve.

Yes Virginia, there is a project management book that makes it easy to understand! icon_cheers.gif

When do you plan to sit for it?
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    When do you plan to sit for it?

Some time next month. I'm going to try an finish off my planned classes within the first two months, and the rest of the semester focus on the 70-640 and 70-642.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting on my stinking Amazon card. I should have gotten it by now. I emailed the woman who does that to check up. I had 3 different people I referred do EWB this month. I want to get this Amazon.com: MCTS: Windows Server Virtualization Configuration Study Guide: (Exam 70-652) (9780470449301): William Panek: Books#_
  • Options
    Some time next month. I'm going to try an finish off my planned classes within the first two months, and the rest of the semester focus on the 70-640 and 70-642.

Aside from the study guide, have you used test prep like Transcenders and/or MeasureUp? If so, how well did you do?

I don't see myself taking Project+ this term...next term maybe, but this one I don't see it.

It's definitely something to keep in mind though. I'll look out for your "W" though. :)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Update:

If you're reading the new Project+ book by that gal in Colorado, I would definitely vouch for the quality of its contents. I read her PMP book to study for my Project+ exam, and it was hands down the best project management exam text I'd ever touched (and better than some other non-exam books I'd gotten my hands on as well).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Aside from the study guide, have you used test prep like Transcenders and/or MeasureUp? If so, how well did you do?

I don't see myself taking Project+ this term...next term maybe, but this one I don't see it.

It's definitely something to keep in mind though. I'll look out for your "W" though. :)

No, I will be using ExamForce this week so I can setup an examination date.
    If you're reading the new Project+ book by that gal in Colorado, I would definitely vouch for the quality of its contents. I read her PMP book to study for my Project+ exam, and it was hands down the best project management exam text I'd ever touched (and better than some other non-exam books I'd gotten my hands on as well).

That is the one...
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    My mentor, Adrian, thinks I'm crazy.

My mentor's pretty impressed with my progress, as well-- 22 credits in the space of about four months. It's nice to get those accolades, but truth is. . . I wouldn't be doing this well if I hadn't polished up my study habits long before this point. That comes from taking cert exams as well as taking CLEP/DSST exams like crazy, and being used to setting a schedule plus learning how to size up material so I can get a rough timeline.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    RockinITRockinIT Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've lurked long enough!

I'm starting WGU on October 1st, pretty much from scratch.

BSIT - Security

I am waiting for them to evaluate my Navy and UoPhoenix tanscripts but I am not holding much faith that anything will transfer.

I have been messing around with computers for 10+ years, and now is my time to parlay my love of computers into a career... even if I am 33 already!

I look forward to sharing my experiences with everyone.

--- Mike
    Courses Completed at WGU:
    Start Date: 10/01/10,

Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC:

EWB2, BAC1, LAT1, LET1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, GUT1, TPV1, ABV1, BGV1, TSV1, WDV1, WSV1, BLV1, MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, CPW4
    Classes Transferred:

BBC1, LAE1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    Certifications Held:

In progress!
  • Options
    Welcome to TE and to WGU. Don't forget to stop by the WGU community and comment on the TE Roll call thread.
    BTW what did you do in the Navy? I was in for 8 years as a Machinist Mate on a nuclear sub.
  • Options
    RockinITRockinIT Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Welcome to TE and to WGU. Don't forget to stop by the WGU community and comment on the TE Roll call thread.
    BTW what did you do in the Navy? I was in for 8 years as a Machinist Mate on a nuclear sub.

Thanks for the welcome! I will as soon as I have access to the WGU community forums.

In the Navy I was a Missle Tech on a boomer (for the 1st 3 years anyway).

Then I got in a "bit" of trouble... icon_rolleyes.gif

I finished as a MM on a carrier out in San Diego, although I had no idea what I was doing. I was pretty much an admin guy, keeping up the maintenance schedules and all.
    Courses Completed at WGU:
    Start Date: 10/01/10,

Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC:

EWB2, BAC1, LAT1, LET1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, GUT1, TPV1, ABV1, BGV1, TSV1, WDV1, WSV1, BLV1, MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, CPW4
    Classes Transferred:

BBC1, LAE1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    Certifications Held:

In progress!
  • Options
    RockinIT wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome! I will as soon as I have access to the WGU community forums.

In the Navy I was a Missle Tech on a boomer (for the 1st 3 years anyway).

Then I got in a "bit" of trouble... icon_rolleyes.gif

I finished as a MM on a carrier out in San Diego, although I had no idea what I was doing. I was pretty much an admin guy, keeping up the maintenance schedules and all.
    I was on a boomer my first sub and then went to a fast attack. I was a nuke MM. I know about the Maint scheduling as that was one of my collateral duties for a couple years. All my collateral duties were admin, doing PM scheduling, div 3m coordinator, RPPO, and a few others.
  • Options
    Well I dug into Javascript fundamentals last night. The CIW book is blah and the videos aren't any better. I think I will use this JavaScript Introduction and this CIW JavaScript Study Notes and Tutorial

I am a little concerned about this one since you have to get 38 out of 50 to pass and it seems like quite a few have failed the first time around.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    That study guide from MCMCSE helped me a lot. Don't bother with the videos (waste of time) but definitely read the book (do the labs as they help)and do that w3schools stuff as those helped too.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RockinIT wrote: »
    I've lurked long enough!

I'm starting WGU on October 1st, pretty much from scratch.

BSIT - Security

I am waiting for them to evaluate my Navy and UoPhoenix tanscripts but I am not holding much faith that anything will transfer.

I have been messing around with computers for 10+ years, and now is my time to parlay my love of computers into a career... even if I am 33 already!

I look forward to sharing my experiences with everyone.

--- Mike

This should be interesting .... I also have an Oct 1 start date, only things is instead of Navy and UoP I have Army and Community College. I've been working in computers since the Army and am 34. Are you my doppelganger??...lol

Good luck and Welcome icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Passed my first class - CIW Foundations (WFV1). The test was fairly easy, scored 80 out of 85 correct. My recommendation is to study the VCampus. Nice to see some CU's in the completed column.

Plan to get the A+ 701 (TEV1) done Friday if Earl decides to stay out at sea. He is sort of got his sights on us but the weather heads say it's supposed to veer north sometime today. I wanted to take both the A+ exams in one sitting but apparently you can not have more than two open vouchers at a time. My WFV1 posted last night but not sure if I can get the remaining A+ voucher today to schedule it for Friday.
  • Options
    My classes begin today:
    • MGC1 - Management
    • TFV1 - Project+
    • QLC1 - Math icon_tongue.gif
    As soon as I finish one of these classes I am going to move on to the 70-640. My goal is to do as many of the classes as I can handle without pushing it like I did last semester. With a baby on the way I figure I better not push it. My goal is to get the semester finished by January.
  • Options
    My classes start today also
    BHV1 - 70-643
    TWA1 - Technical Writing
    BIV1 - 70-647
    CPW3 - Capstone

I've decided (chickened out actually) to put off the 70-643 until the 21st. I just don't feel ready yet. The Technical Writing is almost done and I'll finish it after taking the 643. These are my last classes and I'll be done.
  • Options
    My classes begin today:
    • MGC1 - Management
    • TFV1 - Project+
    • QLC1 - Math icon_tongue.gif
    As soon as I finish one of these classes I am going to move on to the 70-640. My goal is to do as many of the classes as I can handle without pushing it like I did last semester. With a baby on the way I figure I better not push it. My goal is to get the semester finished by January.

Congratulations! I wish you and your SO much health and happiness with your new child!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Congratulations! I wish you and your SO much health and happiness with your new child!! icon_cheers.gif

• Options
    On the WGU front, I have decided that I will continue on with WFV1, LAT1 and LUT1 when I speak to my mentor on Friday. My goal is to have them completed by the end of the month OR by the end of the first week of October. In conjunction to preparing for those classes, I am also spending some crazy time reading the MCITP forum (especially the Claymoore stickies). I was unsure (initially) if I was going to deal with the client first to get it out of the way or start immediately with the server exams. Because I have tremendous exposure to 2008 R2 at the job already, I'm starting with 7X-64X. (and thanks to my application requiring .NET 3.51, I had to promote a number of my servers to the web server role with the minimum amount required to install .NET 3.51...I then had to disable the IIS services). Based on my reading here, it would probably serve me well to start in this order 7X-642, 7X-640, 7X-643, 7X-647, then 7X-680. Immediately after 7X-680, while I'm still doing WGU coursework, I will also go the Cablegod route and do 7X-646 as well as doing 7X-432 and 70-452. (Get my SA and Database Administrator 2K8 as well, but only after I complete the EA for WGU). Hopefully "second shot" will continue to exist for the time I'm studying for MS.

I also initially thought I would be COS'ing the MCITP track. Between looking at a couple of them, as well as my success on passing Security+, I'm best served to work on this self-study just like I did with Sec+. I'm more of a bookworm than video guy anyway. Will definitely be paying a visit to Books 24x7 for the exam guides. Then, of course, buy Transcenders. They made me comfortable with the CompTIA exams. I'm hoping the MS exams are different. My server should be at the house sometime next week so I can start labbin' for them.

I'll let you know how it all works out.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Starting my classes for this term as well. A smaller class load as we are playing it safe since my last term didn't end well for reasons I shared here previously. At any rate, I'm on "probation" and need to complete my entire term hence the smaller class load which will likely have a class added once I finish these two with (hopefully) plenty of time to spare.

LDP1 - Cases in Advanced Leadership and Professionalism
    LDO1 - Advanced Leadership and Professionalism Concepts

Stunning stuff really... bleh.

Shouldn't be that bad really though, I actually do find some of this sort of thing somewhat enjoyable and have benefit from similar classes taken during my studies for my B.S. previously. I just have a feeling it's going to be a good amount of review over concepts I'm already familiar with, yet with just enough introduction to new concepts to require some effort to really study and invest more time into it. We shall see though!

If these finish up with enough time left, I'll be adding:

ARV2 - Hacking Part 1 (i.e. study for and pass CEH)
    or
    ATV2 - Security Policies and Standards Part 1 (i.e. study for and pass GIAC 7799)
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I am definitely going to continue a Masters with WGU, however it isn't going to be purely technical. I'm going to pursue the M.ed Learning Technology (how technology can be used in an education environment). It falls right in line with my current job in both the technology coordinator and teacher roles. The program is relatively short at only 30 credits and I hope to fast track it to 12 - 18 months.

Since I am a 'continuing student' registration is pretty painless and I can start October 1st. Tuition is also reasonable as all Teachers College programs have the same flat term rate.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    I am definitely going to continue a Masters with WGU, however it isn't going to be purely technical. I'm going to pursue the M.ed Learning Technology (how technology can be used in an education environment). It falls right in line with my current job in both the technology coordinator and teacher roles. The program is relatively short at only 30 credits and I hope to fast track it to 12 - 18 months.

Since I am a 'continuing student' registration is pretty painless and I can start October 1st. Tuition is also reasonable as all Teachers College programs have the same flat term rate.

Best of luck to you. Seriously, just to let you know there are a LOT of Higher Education insitutions that are looking for Online Learning Coordinators. With your background, it would be an easy fit and it would be a great career move for you. You can also probably adjunct at some online universities that are also part of B&Ms. Something you definitely may want to look into.