VMWare noob here...

tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
Where do you get the image files / licenses for the OS's that you run in VMWare? I would assume you have to purchase licenses just like any other software, but didn't know how to go about getting them etc.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, you would need to purchase the licenses retail or from a volume license partner.

Are you just looking at getting a test lab together? Windows OSes since Vista/Server 2008 allow you to install for a trial period without a key. You can also do TechNet and there are other programs like DreamSPark as well.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where do you get the image files / licenses for the OS's that you run in VMWare? I would assume you have to purchase licenses just like any other software, but didn't know how to go about getting them etc.
    Aren't you going to WGU? You have MSDNAA which gives you XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Server 2008. If you don't have it yet you may need to contact Dr. Paddock about it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Treat virtual machines no differently than you would a physical box whether it be licensing, configuration, or security.
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    earweed wrote: »
    Aren't you going to WGU? You have MSDNAA which gives you XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Server 2008. If you don't have it yet you may need to contact Dr. Paddock about it.

Yeah, and actually, I completely forgot about this through WGU, and have yet to utilize it. This answers my question! Thanks!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your welcome. Glad to help.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Treat virtual machines no differently than you would a physical box whether it be licensing, configuration, or security.
    Windows licensing is not that simple. For example, a Server 2008 Standard license grants you the right to run one instance of the OS on a physical server, Enterprise gives you four, and Datacenter gives you unlimited instances. This doesn't apply to labbing since nobody is buying these licenses, nor should they with the many cheap and free legitimate options (eval editions, MSDN AA, Dreamspark, TechNet, MAPS, etc.).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV