Options

how do managers evaluate performace in IT Tech Support jobs

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
how do managers evaluate individual performace in IT Tech Support jobs?

is it based on the number of calls the individual takes?
the number of tickets you close?
the fastest person that can resolve issues?
the best person that provide care and respect to customers?
documenting excellent notes/journals in the ticketing system?

what is it? i'm just curious...

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    laptop wrote: »
    how do managers evaluate individual performace in IT Tech Support jobs?

is it based on the number of calls the individual takes?
    the number of tickets you close?
    the fastest person that can resolve issues?
    the best person that provide care and respect to customers?
    documenting excellent notes/journals in the ticketing system?

what is it? i'm just curious...

Every service desk is different.

Closed events, touched events, calls answered, attendance, returned surveys from your customers, good notes and well documented solution (Added to the known error database or solution database), Service observations, and the list goes on.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Agreed they are different - I never worked at one that used pure metrics (such as call volume, ticket counts, etc.) Those could be taken in to account, but not required. When I worked in Germany, I had the fewest tickets by far, becasue I also handled the most time-consuming issues... the ticket was just for documentation and to track the status.

Service observations/interaction with customers/professionalismbeing at work on time (still a big problem for some people) and... most importantly... attitude, would be things that if I were a service desk manager I would look for.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the call ISP tech support call center which I worked in we were unscripted so metrics were hard to gauge. The primary metrics we used though, were:

Tier 1: number of calls received, number of tickets opened, time in the queue, prompt attendance

Tier 2: Far less metrics. This was generally just the number of tickets you closed / availability in the queue for escalations and dispatch calls.

As I said, it was non-scripted environment so metrics weren't really as easy to track as a place such as ATT or Cox, where you have x number of minutes per call. There was no real level of granularity. While there was no script, the same issues came up over and over so if you are competent you can generally burn the queue and get high metrics. Just remembering to open a ticket for literally every call was enough to get promoted, lol.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/