Issue with laptop

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have a Acer Aspire 57322 that I use for work. This laptop has no Win XP drivers and our domain has some GPO limitations that cause any Win Vista/7 boxes to flat out blow up. While fixing that is a priority to me, the other admin doesn't seem to think so (probably because his laptop works). As a work around, I installed Ubuntu on it and joined it to the domain. However the package I am using has a PAM issue which makes it impossible to manage the local password after you have installed the package and joined it to the domain. It is a known issue and there is no work around.

I have thought about installing VMware for Linux and running WinXP as a VM. I know the physical hardware the same but VMware should have its own drives for the Virtual WinXP box (correct?). Does anyone think that this will work? Obviously fixing the GPOs is something we are going to want to do but I don't know enough about GP to know how to fix it or why it is broken and I need my laptop up and running later on today.

EDIT: I could also use Virtual Box but we have a ton of Vmware Licences and I want to use one of those.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep, that'll work.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yep, that'll work.

Well I tried Vbox just a few minutes ago. The install blue screened on me. At any rate, I am going to try VM Workstation. When I get to work I'll make a new AD object for my "new" laptop. I think I am also going to wipe this laptop. Right now, I have the hdd split into several partitions. 2 of them are being used for different versions of ubuntu. 1 version is joined to the domain, 1 isn't. I think I will do a quick wipe and try again.

EDIT: It might have something to do with the fact that the WinXP disc is 64 bit icon_sad.gif
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All of this time spent band-aiding the problem could be spent actually fixing the issue. You don't have a spare old and busted laptop laying around that you can use until you have the issue resolved do you?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    All of this time spent band-aiding the problem could be spent actually fixing the issue. You don't have a spare old and busted laptop laying around that you can use until you have the issue resolved do you?

I do. I have the VMware licence at work and a copy of WinXP 32 bit sitting on my desk. I need to make it my priority to fix the GPOs, even though technically the other guy has said he was going to fix it for two months and it was a task assigned to him. I guess I need to figure out what the problem is really and resolve it because this is annoying.