IBM System Director

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
We currently have IBM Director 5.20.02 installed. The boss says it's too buggy and ought to be upgraded to the latest version (6.2).

I've spent 3-4 days trying to install v6.1. IBM's documentation is convoluted and from what I've read on forums, v6.x is the worst product ever and is even more unusable than 5.x.

I'm inclined to let the senior tech know that it may be best to stick with what he has.

Does anyone have any opinions on this product?

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I used to use this at my old company. It was a complete pain in the ass. It's no intuitive at all and very difficult to setup as you've seen. I hated it. But my boss demanded it be setup for the phone home portion.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Exactly, I've seen open source products documented better than this. System Director is so bad that given the choice, I would choose HP over IBM servers, solely for this one app.

I've managed to install ISD but am now snagged on configuring the LDAP file for AD. It's crashed the web UI and now shows a 404 page.

If anyone knows of any non-IBM doco's, please help me out.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We tried using Director 3.11 & 4.0 to manage our 6,000 client workstaions. It was a nightmare but it's still better than our current product LANDesk.
    steve13ad wrote: »
    We tried using Director 3.11 & 4.0 to manage our 6,000 client workstaions. It was a nightmare but it's still better than our current product LANDesk.

Altiris Products & Services | Symantec Corp.

Been using it and administering it for 5 years. Great product, but really pricey. Sorry for the threadjack.

OP, we had a consulting company come in and help us set it up when we bought the IBM machines from them and it still didn't work. I don't know of much in the area of documentation out there. I kind of just had to wing it as much as I could.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    OP, we had a consulting company come in and help us set it up when we bought the IBM machines from them and it still didn't work.

icon_lol.gif
    That kinda makes me feel better. I guess I'll just keep on winging it as well. Just wish someone had put out a guide with a series of sequential steps for initial installation and configuration. The IBM red-book is like one of those "Choose your own adventure" books.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    What is system directory for?

If its a monitoring system, id recommend SCOM. Infact I havn't worked with any product from System Center line 2007+ that isnt pretty darn good.
    IBM System Director is the equivalent to Compaq Insight Manager. Yeah I went old school for the comparison. It's obviously more advanced but significantly more difficult to setup and use.