Just offered great job!

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I was just formally offered a job with a local company, doing installs and configurations. I had interviewed about two weeks ago, and was told that they had decided to go with someone more senior, so I was ok with that and forgot about it. Then a few days ago the guy I interviewed with called to offer me this job!

I work in networking now and have a CCNA. He said he'd give me a bonus of $5K if I got my CCNP in six months. icon_cheers.gif I'm sure gonna give it my best shot.

This is a great opportunity, and the best part is that I don't have to move out-of-town to take the position. Still, it took me about a year to find this position, as I'm not really learning anything where I'm at now.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

It it a Cisco Business Partner?

And Good Luck with the CCNP studies icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Yes, it's a Cisco gold partner, I believe. They do routing/switching, wireless, voice - you name it. They had asked me what I knew about wireless in my interview, and I admitted that I knew almost nothing, but they didn't seem to hold it against me.

I'm going to wait until my background and drug test go through before I give notice where I'm at (working in security). I'd hate for something to go bad after I gave notice and to find myself jobless. icon_pale.gif
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Yes, it's a Cisco gold partner, I believe. They do routing/switching, wireless, voice - you name it. They had asked me what I knew about wireless in my interview, and I admitted that I knew almost nothing, but they didn't seem to hold it against me.

I'm going to wait until my background and drug test go through before I give notice where I'm at (working in security). I'd hate for something to go bad after I gave notice and to find myself jobless. icon_pale.gif

Good move, never hand on the notice until you have a formal offer in writing..things can go wrong. :/
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, sounds like a big move up. Just try to learn from others as much as possible. You're very fortunate to have the opportunity for an employer to give you a chance at networking. Its a tough field to get into right now.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a great opportunity. The bonus is a nice incentive to get your CCNP but even if you only get a few done your getting certified in what you will actually be doing. Which overall is worth way more than the bonus imo.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well played homie. Congrats!!!!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sweet deal and congrats! I'm sure you will do very well.
  • triotrio Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice dude,but is that a big bonus or is it the usual?
    Keep it up and learn as much from others.icon_wink.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sweet! A bonus for something you wanted to do anyway.
    Congrats.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RockinITRockinIT Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Outstanding!

There is no better feeling than doing what you love, and getting paid for it. I hope to have that feeling someday!!
    Courses Completed at WGU:
    Start Date: 10/01/10,

Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC:

EWB2, BAC1, LAT1, LET1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, GUT1, TPV1, ABV1, BGV1, TSV1, WDV1, WSV1, BLV1, MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, CPW4
    Classes Transferred:

BBC1, LAE1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    Certifications Held:

In progress!
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds great man!!!! Sweet deal, get paid for what you like to do....what could be bettericon_cheers.gificon_study.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Congratulations. This seems like luck!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Yes, it's a Cisco gold partner, I believe.
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh -- access to Partner eLearning and hopefully a killer work lab (demo equipment) icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh -- access to Partner eLearning and hopefully a killer work lab (demo equipment) icon_cheers.gif

Maybe I can set a lab up at work and VPN in from home. That way my family can still see me sometimes. icon_study.gif
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm not jealous at all, really, no, I'm not.

OK maybe a little.

Oh, who am I kidding? That's a sweet gig you've got there, and I am most envious indeed.

Congratulations and good luck!