IT getting fit

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
IT works out, gets fit - Computerworld

No co. gym here, no paying of gym membership either.

Comments

• xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    We have a gym onsite. It's not free, but we do get a nice discount over what the public pays (it's inside a hospital). I think staying fit is definitely a big concern for IT folks. I'm in desktop support, so I generally move around and walk all over throughout the day. There are some days, though, where I can spend hours in my chair doing remote support and only get up to go to the cafeteria and bathroom.

I'm relatively young and in shape, but in this line of work it won't last long without some personal effort.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We also have an indoor gym on site. Membership is $17 a month, which isn't that bad considering. There is also a basketball court, putting green, and grassy areas to play other lawn type games.

Other things you can do are to opt for stairs over the elevator. Each morning I usually walk down 4 flights of stairs to the lobby, and then up 5 flights to my desk. While that is not an intense workout, it adds up over time. (Not to mention I can usually get to my desk quicker than I would if I was waiting for the elevator to show up).

I repeat the same process (in reverse) heading out to my car, and sometimes near the end of my lunch I will walk up to the 11th floor, turn around and go back down to the 1st floor, and then take a different stairwell back up to my desk. The whole process takes about 10 minutes, and isn't so difficult that I am sweating up a storm, but is a considerable workout.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At my last job (county govt) we had a gym onsite that all employees could use. It was great b/c there were hardly any people there at night when we went.

Current job has nothing, so I forked over $1200 or so to create my own home gym.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    At my last job (county govt) we had a gym onsite that all employees could use. It was great b/c there were hardly any people there at night when we went.

Current job has nothing, so I forked over $1200 or so to create my own home gym.

That would be nice. I would user a treadmill in my basement 10-20 times as many times as I would drive to use the gyms. Only problem is that they aren't cheap and I don't have room to put it.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438

I got myself and excercise bike (second hand mint condition) As I did not want to buy one new just in case the novelty wore off (as it did for it's original owner) but 1 month on and I am still using it twice a day. Maybe i should get some more gear?

I wish I worked for a company that had cool ethics and facilities though but these are the exception not the norm.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We have a pretty unbelievable health and wellness program where I work. We’re a healthcare company so there is a ton of emphasis on living a fit lifestyle. The campus is completely smoke free so if you want to burn one you have to go drive somewhere. I quit cold turkey at my last job so not a biggie for me. They also have free yoga/pilattes/etc classes at lunch and after work. You get “credits” for every time you go to the gym, pool, etc. You get the attendant at the gym to stamp your paper and turn it into HR at the end of the month. Depending on how many times you go you get credit on your pay check. If you get like 10 credits a month that basically pays for a $50/month gym membership.

Further, you can save up to $45/person per month on health insurance by taking a fitness survey. The results are completely private and maintained by an outsourced company. You can choose to utilize a free health coach to assist you in dieting, exercise, you name it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    The campus is completely smoke free so if you want to burn one you have to go drive somewhere. I quit cold turkey at my last job so not a biggie for me.

The only smoking section here is on the 5th floor of the parking garage in the back corner. There is a room encased in plexaglass. It's a good thing I'm not a smoker. It would take 15-20 minutes of walking just to get there and back.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    That would be nice. I would user a treadmill in my basement 10-20 times as many times as I would drive to use the gyms. Only problem is that they aren't cheap and I don't have room to put it.

Thats what I thought in the past, but I find it is easier to get focused if I plan my day around going to the gym. If I were to try to workout at home I would be much less sturctured and liable to not do it at all. I like going to a gym just because it gets my mind in that mode - and because they have everything you could ever want to work with there, you arent limited to your home equipment.
  • iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's pretty cool, here's to hoping I can land an IT job once I finish my bachelor's at a company that encourages active and healthy lifestyles for all their employees.

It kinda rubbed me the wrong way to find out that my university allots 15 out of 120 credits for electives, but doesn't allow us to choose any sort of Phys Ed courses to meet those 15. Would love to take some sort of Cardio/Aerobic and Weight Training courses that they offer (because like brad- I can do the stuff on my own, but it's nice to have some more rigid type of structure and a person to push you to push beyond your limits) but my department counselor said that they "don't want us to take anything fun".

Guess they want us to fit the tv/movie stereotypical role of a pasty, scrawny computer nerd.
    They also want you to be intelligent and not take a bowling class for an elective like my brother did for his criminal justice degree.

I took a weights class just for the hell of it to round out my schedule. Lifting weights 2 days a week at the same time was enjoyable. It is just expensive and I don't have that kind of time.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wish I was in Paul Boz's environment, that is awesome.

Well, I personally pay for my own gym membership with the local council, so I go to the leisure centre about 2 minutes from me.

My weight is something that has always been an issue because I am a man who loves his food, and growing up detested exercise.

I'm paying for it now, (I'm 27 and weigh 19 stone (about 270 pounds for those who work in pounds) but it's through a lifetime of no exercise.

However, for the last few weeks I've been going 3-5 times a week, either gym for an hour of those days, or swimming for 30 minutes.

I am starting to lose a bit of weight, but I understand that it will take time to come off (it sure as hell didnt come on in a day)

I'll get there :)
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    gorebrush wrote: »

I am starting to lose a bit of weight, but I understand that it will take time to come off (it sure as hell didnt come on in a day)

I'll get there :)

I was 18 Stone 2 months ago, I am now 16.5 \o/ keep on trucking. ;)
    Well done that man! Now that is inspiration :D
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    We have a pretty unbelievable health and wellness program where I work. We’re a healthcare company so there is a ton of emphasis on living a fit lifestyle. The campus is completely smoke free so if you want to burn one you have to go drive somewhere. I quit cold turkey at my last job so not a biggie for me. They also have free yoga/pilattes/etc classes at lunch and after work. You get “credits” for every time you go to the gym, pool, etc. You get the attendant at the gym to stamp your paper and turn it into HR at the end of the month. Depending on how many times you go you get credit on your pay check. If you get like 10 credits a month that basically pays for a $50/month gym membership.

Further, you can save up to $45/person per month on health insurance by taking a fitness survey. The results are completely private and maintained by an outsourced company. You can choose to utilize a free health coach to assist you in dieting, exercise, you name it.

I want to work at this company icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My new job has me working from home, I am going to join the gym down the road since I will have no commute any more so I can work out in the morning before work.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My work has a gym free of charge. They really push our Wellness program. (Lower insurance rates if you participate!) icon_thumright.gif

My old job used to pay for 1/2 your gym membership. Although, I heard the gym down the street closed, so the owner just bought all the equipment for the employees. icon_cool.gif
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working at a large state university, I have access to the student gym at no charge, or for $10-20 a month, I can go to the staff only gym that has trainers, nutritionists, etc.

The student gym is very nice and has great scenery (inside and out)...I just haven't been very often lately since I'm part of a triathlon training group that isn't affiliated with the school, and we have group workouts several times per week. It's just over 3 weeks until my big event with them - Ironman 70.3 Augusta.

Before I got into triathlon training, I started running to lose weight. At this point, I've lost track of the number of 5K and 10K races I've done. I've still only done one marathon, and this half Ironman training is really kicking my butt. (You can read all about my struggles in training in the link in my sig here)

In 2006, I was around 225 pounds, and this morning, I was 174. I was at my heaviest about 10 years ago, weighing in at 240. I guess I'm making steps in the right direction. :)
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    My weight is something that has always been an issue because I am a man who loves his food, and growing up detested exercise.

I'm paying for it now, (I'm 27 and weigh 19 stone (about 270 pounds for those who work in pounds) but it's through a lifetime of no exercise.

I'm also a man that enjoys food, but I also enjoy exercise. I just need that motivation to get off my butt and do something. Recently I have started working more and paying more attention to what I eat. For example, I'll skip the cake and ice cream (which comes out at least once a week where I work) in exchange for eating an extra piece of pizza. That way I can keep an eye on my weight without turning into a rabbit. (Although I have recently started trying to eat more fruits and vegetables)

The other thing that I pay attention to is number of plates. I used to eat a plate, be at a point that I don't need anymore and go back for seconds. By giving up that second helping I think I am doing good.

I also pretty much exclusively take the stairs at work. The only time I use the elevator is if I am in conversation with someone or I am bring food back to my desk from the cafeteria.

I used to exercise heavily in high school and food was never a concern for me. At my peak I was eating 5,000 calories each day, and still losing weight. I was also doing 38 hours a week of exercise. Now that I am in the 5-10 hour range, and I am getting older,
    I can’t be doing that anymore.

I’m trying to cut down on fast food, but it is hard. I am often in a hurry and it is the only thing that I have time for. Plus it tastes so good.

I’m only 21, but I feel like I’m in my 40’s sometimes. I work in a Monday-Friday desk job, opt for diet pop over regular (even though regular tastes better, those are just calories that I don’t need) and really only drink pop at all when I am at a restaurant or something.

If I didn't start working on this now, in 6 years I could likely be in your exact same position, but I see that it is a problem and I am taking steps to try and mitigate it. I don't expect to every have a 6-pack again, but a non-bulging stomach would be nice. I don't think that is asking too much.
    Wow, 5,000 calories a day?

That's incredible - I've never eaten at that level icon_neutral.gif
    Wow, 5,000 calories a day?

That's incredible - I've never eaten at that level icon_neutral.gif

It was a lot of work. I was eating snacks in every class, and putting down a half gallon of milk a day. I was still losing 3 pounds a month, which is actually pretty significant considering that about 10-12 hours of the 38 were spent lifting weights.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm very close to the end of my diet phase. I'm so excited as I hate running and I am tired of being hungry all the time. All I do is eat, but I'm still hungry all the time....

Probably near the end of the month I will publish some before and after pictures to TE for you guys to laugh at. The change thus far has really been amazing. I've gone from around 50% body fat or something close to around 12% and I hope to be under 10% by the end of October.

All I have to say is that anyone of us who believes they can transform themselves can do it. It might take a couple years of sacrifice and very, very hard work but what I have gotten in return cannot even hope to be quantified. I am so much happier about myself and actually have fewer problems concentrating and stying focused. Not to mention being able to bend over and pick something up or fit on a ride at King's Island with my step-son...
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I dropped 20 pounds a few months ago, felt better. Now since I will be working from home the temptation of drive thru and the work cafeteria wont be there and I can prepare healthy meals/snacks.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    or fit on a ride at King's Island with my step-son...
    oddly, that was somewhat of a motivation for me...being able to ride the rides at the state fair or six flags with my kids.