Options

Monitor VMware with Nagios

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Any of you use Nagios to monitor your VMware systems? We are on ESXi/vShepre 4.0. Would love to know what you use, even if you don't use Nagios, and if you do use Nagios how you do it.

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hunt down some of the scripts lurking about on the internet, a decent starter is check_esx3 available on Nagios Exchange, a perl based script we run under Nagios and works fine with ESX3.5/4.0/4.1 and ESXi4.0/4.1 (haven't used it for anything else).

(Might need a bit of tweaking as some of the checks in there are quite CPU intensive, I got a perl boffin to review it and tweak to improve performance on the longer running checks. having said that it's a very busy Nagios based system!)

HTH!
    MikeB
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, I saw that one and I did think it looked like there could be some issues with some of the checks. I'm no Perl wiz but it was one of my first loves as far as programming goes.

Any suggestions to get it running smoothly?
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It didnt run THAT badly from scratch to be honest, from recollection it was the network based checks that were very inefficient. Unfortunately my perl wizard won't tell me what he changed or where, or let me have access to the tuned scripts to be sure :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln