Options

Open Source Microsoft Exchange Alternative

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
Were currently running Exchange 2003 and are considering upgrading hopefully to something open source and was wondering whats out there that has Exchange-like features like activesync and web-mail

I was just looking at OpenChange and it looks like a pretty cool project
http://www.openchange.org/

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Zimbra would be my vote if you absolutely had to get away from Exchange but you are not going to find anything better than the newer versions of Exchange.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks to you both, I plan to compare the features and bring up what i find during my next IT meeting
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Dont forget to consider backup and disaster recovery. There are proven solutions for Exchange from Microsoft, Symantec, Commvault, and others. Sometimes you are paying not just for features, but insurance.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Zimbra would be my vote if you absolutely had to get away from Exchange but you are not going to find anything better than the newer versions of Exchange.

SP1 for 2010 made it even more sweet. I am about to put a couple of new drives in a server so I can put peoples' mail archives in a separate information store, I am almost giddy.

- Having said that I couldn't disagree more with the recommendation. I have seen Zimbra bring orgs to there collective knees with downtime. There is another time honored email server out there that a small portion of users love and swear by: GroupWise!
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Zimbra works pretty well. The thing I didn't like was the paid versions. You paid per seat, which is okay. Then you paid more for archiving, etc.

My last company at my behest went with Kerio. It's not open source but works on Windows, Linux, and Macintosh servers. The price per user was very affordable.

I can pm you the contact for a few school district in Utah that use it if you want to hear from the horses mouth.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.