Frame Relay Switch

alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
I came across this link that I thought would be quite beneficial to the folks here starting or upgrading their home labs. Instead of buying a 2520 router or a 2600/3600 router with a NM-4a/s module, you can use a pair of 25xx routers as a 4 port Frame Relay switch.

Building a Compound Frame Relay Switch | INE

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good find Alan, very interesting way of having a complex FR setup.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    And if you're going to dedicate those routers to just being your frame relay cloud, you can build the tunnel using the Ethernet ports (if you have the transceivers and a crossover cable).

Toss in a switch, another router or two (or three or four), and additional tunnels and you can add more ports to your frame relay cloud as needed.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    And if you're going to dedicate those routers to just being your frame relay cloud, you can build the tunnel using the Ethernet ports (if you have the transceivers and a crossover cable).

Toss in a switch, another router or two (or three or four), and additional tunnels and you can add more ports to your frame relay cloud as needed.

I was hoping I could go that route later on. It'll definitely extend the useful life of some routers and switches.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Excellent post/link! I have a cloud set up on a 2520 and I have a spare 2501 - so I'm definitely going to give this a try.

icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
    Tried setting this up, but ran into a snag. Turns out you need 12.2 or higher to do this, so I have some flash memory on order so that I can upgrade my 2500's.

Mike mentioned using the ethernet ports instead of the aux ports

So I'm assuming all I would need to do is change

interface Tunnel0
    tunnel source Async4
    tunnel destination x.x.x.x

to

interface Tunnel0
    tunnel source Ethernet0
    tunnel destination x.x.x.x

Hopefully that will work.
    I've been meaning to get around to trying this with the Ethernet ports myself, I just haven't had a chance since classes have started up again this week. My 2500's should be up to the task, and now I finally have a use for that boat anchor, errrrr Catalyst 1900 sitting on the shelf. :)
    With two routers, you wouldn't need the 1900. Just run a crossover cable between the two ethernet ports. A rollover cable is needed if you use the AUX ports.
    My 2500's are all of the 2 serial interface variety, so I was going to start with three and have room to grow. Let's have enough ports on the cloud to justify doing this. :)
    Makes sense, but I hate seeing a 1900 be a part of such a cool cloud.

:)

At least you won't take a speed hit as all the links will be 10Mbps
    I think having a second rack just for the Frame Relay cloud is pretty cool regardless of which switch, especially when it's going to be in a LackRack. Besides, the 1900 is still better than the $10 "Linksky" switch that's sitting next to it. :)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I think having a second rack just for the Frame Relay cloud is pretty cool regardless of which switch, especially when it's going to be in a LackRack.

I just want to go on record as saying that the LackRack idea is freakin' awesome. When I first saw the design, I nearly ran out to the local IKEA and bought a whole mess of those tables. (And yes, I squee'd.) icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    The LackRack does look cool

I do need to start a new rack one of these days, but I might stick with Skeletek

Cool to know the option though
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I just want to go on record as saying that the LackRack idea is freakin' awesome. When I first saw the design, I nearly ran out to the local IKEA and bought a whole mess of those tables. (And yes, I squee'd.) icon_lol.gif

Lol yeah, my first thought was "OMG where's the closest place I can get something like this", although I notice it's only got front mounts and would be worried the weight of several units would snap a leg.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    bermovick wrote: »
    Lol yeah, my first thought was "OMG where's the closest place I can get something like this", although I notice it's only got front mounts and would be worried the weight of several units would snap a leg.

I'm not too worried because I've got one of the older ones with solid legs, but the newer ones come with hollow legs now so that's something to worry about now. These things are only $10, so buy two and if you break a leg, pull out the other one and use fewer routers. :)

On a related note, last time the wife dragged me to Ikea, I grabbed one of those paper tape measures they give out. Quite a bit of the furniture they sell would work as well as the Lack.
    Finally got my 2500's memory upgraded so I could try this.

Instead of using the aux ports, I built the tunnels using the loopback interfaces as source and destination on both routers.

Allows you a lot of flexibility in connecting.

So now my frame cloud has five connections, and I'll add a sixth once I get another serial WIC card for my 3640.

Thanks again to alan for the link.

icon_thumright.gif
    Added my sixth link and everything is up and running. One tip for anyone who tries this - the show command sh frame-relay route on the FR cloud switches is very helpful for troubleshooting.
    Thanks for the tip.

I've been wanting to get going on this, but I signed up for 20 credit hours this semester. I haven't even found time to play with my new 3550 yet. icon_twisted.gif
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip.

I've been wanting to get going on this, but I signed up for 20 credit hours this semester. I haven't even found time to play with my new 3550 yet. icon_twisted.gif

Very cool, good luck with it kiddo.

I can call you kiddo since I have a son in college.

He is a business major despite my efforts to steer him into IT

:)