Minority Report Reality 5 years or not

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
He says at the end of the video it will be in every PC with in 5 years.

what you think? I am not sure how useful this would be to me? Cool yes, but necessary for me??

Real Life Minority Report intreface
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pretty interesting stuff. By the way, I love Ted.com
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its a great site, I had the boomark for years but only recently got in to it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is incredible! :)
    if you look down the page in my blog you will see another post to "visualising data" from TED.

Imagen these two combined and sifting through data will be a completely different experience
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    5 years? nope. An interface like that wont be mainstream for probably another couple of decades, if ever. It has a really steep learning curve and just isnt quick and useful for everyday tasks. Sure, it will be cool for presentaitons and maybe media consumption, though.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When microsoft work out that the Kinect is the future of input control for MultiMedia, tv remotes, and just general isnt-that-cool ease of data manipulation it'll be here, no need for gloves....right now for some funny reason they're just thinking of it as a game controller icon_rolleyes.gif .
    I remember seeing my first 3d GUI back on windows 95 as shareware. It worked fine but there just wasn't a practical way to quickly use depth with a kbd/mouse, so programming a GUI to make use of it once the controller is sorted is not going to be hard at all.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Rember the mouse control is only "easy" becasue we have been brought up with it. When that was originaly suggests most people felt the keyboard was still the way to go. Becasue the applications at the time where designedd with a keyboard in mind.

Speaking from experince of working with complex network digrams, to be able to filp them around, viw tem in 3d and mapipulate them in all directions with hand gesters would be great.

Think how the mouse these days complementes the keyboard, where you select a text box with the mouse and enter the text on the keyboard.

Imagen a CAD designed, able to oringenate an object in 3dimensions by grabbing and twisting the air. and ading the ine detail withhis old fashion mouse.

Becasue in the first instance that is what it will be, we wont ever do 100% of the interfacing with a system like this, it will jsut be another tool in the box.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Mm... Whilst the Minority Report style interface with the swooshing and grabbing does look interesting, it fails on a fairly major point. It is the same reason to why your home computer doesn't have a touchscreen as its main input system unlike all the predictions and films from years ago.

The reason is that holding your arms up in fixed positions for long periods of time is very tiring. If this does become the main input system then everybody will need to have the skill of a Tai Chi master and the biceps of a weightlifter. I think Minority Report paired the arm gesture system with some sort of voice recognition system?

If it does see usage in the real world then it will be for very specific usages and not for general usage. Kinect style kits with a camera will mean that it would be possible for the home user to have it but I'm not really seeing reasons for them to use it. If somebody invents a viable and lower cost volumetric display then sure but until then it will be limited.

The other parts of the talk about displays which recognise objects placed on them isn't a new idea. There are multiple devices which can do that already now and you can even build your own system if you wished. These will become more prevalent in the real world as they have genuine advantages.
    tiersten wrote: »
    The other parts of the talk about displays which recognise objects placed on them isn't a new idea. There are multiple devices which can do that already now and you can even build your own system if you wished. These will become more prevalent in the real world as they have genuine advantages.

Be fair to the man, he does mention that that technology/footage is 15 years old. ;)
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Be fair to the man, he does mention that that technology/footage is 15 years old. ;)
    If you're going to present something at TED then it had better have some new or interesting components to it :P
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Mm... Whilst the Minority Report style interface with the swooshing and grabbing does look interesting, it fails on a fairly major point. It is the same reason to why your home computer doesn't have a touchscreen as its main input system unlike all the predictions and films from years ago.

There are monitors that are touchscreens, but I agree with what you are saying here. The touchscreen technology has been around for quite some time, and yet the majority of screens are not.

Watching the movie, you only seen them using the swooshing and grabbing for a couple minutes. Lets try and see an office worker do that for 8 hours a day.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good point. I can see the next level of DOS attacks will be designed to exhaust the security team (images of network alarms going off as a sweating heaving mass of IT folks are busy gesticulating wildly)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    images of network alarms going off as a sweating heaving mass of IT folks are busy gesticulating wildly
    Hey. This happens already. Its just the arm gestures aren't being recognised by the system :D
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Watching the movie, you only seen them using the swooshing and grabbing for a couple minutes. Lets try and see an office worker do that for 8 hours a day.
    Add in the horrors of having to use voice recognition as well. Your arms will be tired, you'll have a sore throat from having to shout at your computer all day and you'll also be deaf from all your coworkers doing the same thing. A keyboard is a pretty retro and archaic input device but it does have its benefits...

Wait for the direct neural IO system IMO...

At least you're not required to run MovieOS. It'd be all green screen CRTs that make a teletype noise whilst slowly displaying characters in a 40 point font at 300 baud. The security would be impressive at first but then some kid will come along and hack it by typing in god or swordfish as the password to the security override backdoor.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Skip arm movements I want brain implants
    see I see it very much as being an extar interface, not THE interface.

Remember just becasue some one invented the mouse, does not mean we use the mouse to type with, nor do we hold it and wave it about the whole 8 hours of our work day. we pick it up when needed and leave it aside when not.

Just as we now use both mouse and keyboard, I can imagen opening a 3 dimensional network digram of the building i am in now ( 4 floors and 8 interconnected network cabinates). and using hand gesters to spin it around and zoom in and out.

Imagen a company wide digram that you can flick through, Currently you can do he same with a mouse, but you need to left click and hold to zoom, roght click to rotate, middel click to pan..... But if you track handw movmets ith enough accuracy, you then have a 3d mouse (already avalible) with more default axies of travel.

I think the idea wth technology like this is you don't design applications for it, but look at current applications and see what parts would benifit from a different type of input method.

How about using touch to sort items on a screen. A folder full of documents that you can flick across in to different areas. this is a hard movemnt to match with a mouse but easy with touch screens.

Another good example is voice reconigition. I used this a lot one time a few years back, and can say after trainning it is easly good enough to use for a full 8 hour day. I could open apps, write documents and more with ease. With no more errors than I might have with a mouse and keyboard. The main issue is the noise. Can you imagen 20 people in an office all talking to there PC's while you are on the phone to a customer!!

And although I agree and see the idea of a system the size in the video is a very speclised application. having the same built in to a monitor, could if implemented well help fill in the gaps where the current input systems fail.
    tpatt100 wrote: »

Look around there are some pretty intresting movments in that field to,

and the bionic eye (led dispaly Contact lens)
    One device which did show promise but didn't really take off and was discontinued was the Philips DesXcape. It was a touchscreen monitor which you wired in the regular way but the LCD part itself was removeable with a WiFi connection. You could yank it off the base and walk around with it on battery power whilst still interacting with your PC via RDP.

If they upgraded that to 802.11g/n with a capacitive touchscreen that supported multitouch gestures then you'd have the best of both worlds. A regular monitor for when you're at your desk and a touchscreen tablet for when you want to interact with the screen.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Look around there are some pretty intresting movments in that field to,

and the bionic eye (led dispaly Contact lens)

England implanted a cell phone in someone's tooth. It uses your jaw bone as a medium to transport sounds to your ear rather than air. I've heard of people with glass eyes that are really webcams. Never heard of an LED contact lense but it wouldn't really surprise me.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    tpatt100 wrote: »

As I said we are getting there (and no need for the implants)

Step on from minority report
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is sweet.

I can see the **** industry using this incredibly.
    knwminus wrote: »
    This is sweet.

I can see the **** industry using this incredibly.

then you add in one of theses

Scientists Set Sights on an Implantable Prosthetic for the Blind: Scientific American

for each of the five senses and you really do never have to leave your chair (apart from to eat and pooh!!).

Its a bit like the "GAME" in red dwarf! (or many other such sci-fi ideas)

Better Than Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you hunt around the web you will see where alrady in tests some previously blind people have been able to "see" basic shape with inplans.