Passed the LX0-101

krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yes gentlemen, I passed it with a score of 730. The exam was fine, because I am currently using more Linux than Win. I used the LPIC Sybex book and did a lot of practice. My advice for any future taker:

the commands are crucial, don't even think about skipping them.

LX0-102 will be next.

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    nice very nice

what distro do you use to practice on
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congratulations demonfurbie, on to 102 quickly! icon_cheers.gif
    102 will have commands as well, but it is essential if you set up your lab for practice on basic SSH and net config of linux clients. You may find 102 easier though, just make sure you understand the questions.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome. How long have you been using *nix and how long did you study? I want to take those two test soon.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the accomplishment! I've been working with 'nix a little and would like to know how long it might take me to get to the point of being able to take this test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    If you go through exam objectives for 101 exam earweed, you may notice there are number of utilities that are more or less obscure and rarely used in the day-to-day practice of administering linux, until you find yourself confined to the command line and have to (for example) process a long log file for just those lines that you need without an access to a graphical terminal. Now, how often does it happen for an admin to be locked out of a graphic terminal these days? When was the last time you used a **** in hex for diagnostics?
    I think you can't pass this exam with just relying on your experience and you have to sit down and prepare for the exam, just for the fact that there are some obscure utilities that at least you have to get familiar with.
    The good thing is that objectives are so precise you could assemble a solid study guide just by researching for titles and utilities named in the objectives. Another good thing is that questions are straightforward and without any attempt to bait you into choosing wrong answers.
    LPI renews its exams' objectives regularly, so go for it while current guides on offer are valid.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been going through the exam objectives pretty slowly so far. Maybe a couple hours a week and some weeks none at all. I'm not in a real rush to do the exam and may in fact not get around to it until the next exam change but just studying it to get some linux knowledge. I'm getting enough so far that reading threads by some of the more advanced linux users are now learning experiences instead of just being " what the heck is that" lol
    I'm mainly trying to learn things Linux that I'll need as a future system Admin just in case I have some Linux machines to deal with. I'm presently about 1/3 done with the book Amazon.com: Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition (9780071545884): Wale Soyinka: Books and liking Linux a lot so far.
    I still have a lot to learn about it though.

Edit: I've gotten up to the GNU and UNIX section (103) of doing the objectives so far.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I was a bit concerned when I saw that the passing score was so low (500 out 800). I thought it may be a new Beast.
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Awesome. How long have you been using *nix and how long did you study? I want to take those two test soon.

I studied for a week, but I spent a lot of time doing research and experimenting new things. I started using Backtrack and then Slackware a year ago. Most of their programs needed a lot of effort to be installed, but at the same time I kinda learned a lot.
    I tried Ubuntu once time ago, but it didn't click me. Mint distro got me, and makes me hate when I have to boot into Win.

Thanks gentlemen.
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    If you go through exam objectives for 101 exam earweed, you may notice there are number of utilities that are more or less obscure and rarely used in the day-to-day practice of administering linux, until you find yourself confined to the command line and have to (for example) process a long log file for just those lines that you need without an access to a graphical terminal. Now, how often does it happen for an admin to be locked out of a graphic terminal these days? When was the last time you used a **** in hex for diagnostics?
    I think you can't pass this exam with just relying on your experience and you have to sit down and prepare for the exam, just for the fact that there are some obscure utilities that at least you have to get familiar with.
    The good thing is that objectives are so precise you could assemble a solid study guide just by researching for titles and utilities named in the objectives. Another good thing is that questions are straightforward and without any attempt to bait you into choosing wrong answers.
    LPI renews its exams' objectives regularly, so go for it while current guides on offer are valid.

Very helpful info, thanks for sharing.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    krauser wrote: »
    Very helpful info, thanks for sharing.
    And instead of congratulating you for the exam passed, I aplauded demonfurbie... or maybe demonfurbie is next to pass? Congradulations krauser, have a cold one on me icon_redface.gif