Options

craigslist jobs..

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Has anyone had any luck finding computer related work on craigs list? I'm trying to find work but the jobs on craigs list seem fake. Today I sent an email to the craigs list email on the post and I got a response back that I think was automated. I think it was automated because the person didn't answer my questions, they told me that they received my resume/application, and that I had to apply online to keep the application open. Then I went to check out the website that the automated email gave me and theres no website. I also tried to find the company and I couldn't find a website for the company.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Two of my prior jobs were found through Craigslist. Like with anything else, you have to sift through a lot of junk to find the good stuff, but it's worth it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've worked two jobs I found on craigslist a few years ago but they were not IT related. I have interviewed for many IT jobs on there in the past few years but not gotten hired.
  • Options
    BocaRatonITBocaRatonIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been very lucky with CL, I get more interviews from there then from places like Monster and Dice, also all the jobs I was offered over the last few year were from there.

I think craigslist is more useful in areas where they charge to post, I know here in south Florida it costs $25 to post in the jobs sections, so it's mostly serious companies posting. In grand Rapids its free to post jobs.

Also using Craiglook.com has helped me a lot, makes it much easier to search tech jobs on CL with a much easier website.

Here is a link to jobs in your area:
    Technology Jobs in Grand Rapids, MI | Craigslist Search

good luck with your search.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My current and 3 prior jobs were all from CL ads. But I have sent a lot of resumes out and never heard back.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i've had a few interviews from jobs i applied to on CL, never got them, but like previously stated, you have to sort thru all the junk thats on there.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Three interviews, took two positions. I've had good luck on there.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tried to find local computer repair work once (for some extra cash) but all I got was spam and scams.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I tried to find local computer repair work once (for some extra cash) but all I got was spam and scams.
    Yup, there's a lot of scams and spam on Craigslist, unfortunately. You have to sift through it in order to find the real job listings. I think that I got somewhere between 15 - 20 automated replies for every 2 or 3 real responses the last time I searched. The real responses I got, however, were quite solid and most ended up with either a phone interview or a face to face interview.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Can't speak for anywhere else, but in my area i see FAR more spam on Monster/CareerBuilder than on Craigslist. I can't STAND the stupid listings on the actual job sites i see sometimes.
  • Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found my current job on CL. But, like previously stated, gotta sift through junk to get to the real people
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Can't speak for anywhere else, but in my area i see FAR more spam on Monster/CareerBuilder than on Craigslist. I can't STAND the stupid listings on the actual job sites i see sometimes.

I know what you mean. I posted my resume on Monster and get emails everyday from Farmers Insurance saying they reviewed my resume and think I am a perfect fit for insurance sales. I guess IT work translates to insurance sales now.
  • Options
    DraxtheSovietDraxtheSoviet Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I applied to like 15-20 job postings on Craigslist and only 2 companies gave me a call. Also, what an interesting CL's job posting:
    IT Helpdesk Analyst Wanted (Boise id)

-Help desk assistance
    -Desktop, printer, laptop, and network troubleshooting
    -Remote technical assistance
    -Remote application installation
    -Troubleshoot issues with servers printers

• Compensation: $18 per hour

... that is ALL. No job requirements/duties, qualifications or skill requirements. Part-time or full-time? Benefits if any? If it ain't a bogus, I'll be damned. icon_neutral.gif
    "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell
  • Options
    I applied to like 15-20 job postings on Craigslist and only 2 companies gave me a call. Also, what an interesting CL's job posting:

... that is ALL. No job requirements/duties, qualifications or skill requirements. Part-time or full-time? Benefits if any? If it ain't a bogus, I'll be damned. icon_neutral.gif

I've had about the same luck as you the past few months. In the past few days though I've updated my resumes on Dice, Monster, and Careerbuilder and have been applying everywhere like mad and also browsing company websites and applying to positions there. Possibly three interviews coming up within the next week from all that. If I go through lulls where no one responds to my resume then I make little updates and I feel my current one may be a masterpiece LOL.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

There is a chance that it is legit. Some people just lack the common sense to advertise themselves properly.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Is there a way to search Craiglists jobs for more than city at a time? For instance I want to find all IT jobs for Utah or Colorado?

I can browse per city, of course, but that could take valuable seconds ;)
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If you got 2 responses from 15-20 resumes you are doing well. I have had to send out literally hundreds to get a handful of responses. Hiring folks have literally hundreds of resumes per job post.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    My last 2 jobs have been from CL. Again like other people have stated you have to shift through the junk ones to find the real jobs.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    During a job search in early 2006, I had many hits from Craigslist. However, the job that was finally landed came from Monster.

Now I'm out of work again, but remain extremely optimistic something should turn up soon. Have been using CL, Monster, Dice, Career Builder, and LinkedIn.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the link BocaRatonIT.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****