ccnp cable hell-urgent

philstarphilstar Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys. two questions.

1. my console cable doesnt seem to connect to my laptop (wrong fit). though fits my pc. whats the solution to this.

2. is it easy/ cheap to add extra serial interfaces to 2600 routers.

sorry if these sound a bit easy but im new to this home lab game as i just textbooked my way thru the ccna and am new to this equipment malarky.

all help much appreciated.

Comments

• johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    1 - sounds like your trying to plug the serial cable into your external video port, if its blue and a female connection it wont work. Most new laptops dont have serial ports, mine doesnt, had to buy a serial PCMCIA card.

2 - Yes, assuming that your 2600 series router is modular.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Assuming the 2600 is modular?
    You can add a total of 2 wic2ts in a 2600 for a total of 4 serial interfaces.

Yankee
  • squawk1500squawk1500 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Adding interfaces to a 2600 is very easy, just watch out for ESD. The interfaces arn't all that expensive. I've seen some on ebay for less than 50USD for the 2600 series. You could always go with something like a NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S module if you looking for a lot of ports. If you have a windows server or desktop you leave on a lot you could enable remote desktop to con into your router. Or just hook one of the ethernet ports into your lan and just telnet in. I'm guessing you have a wireless access point.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    You can also buy a USB to DB9 connector for your laptop. That is what I did to hook up my console cable. I got one off of www.tigerdirect.com for 10.00.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I've yet to see a 2600 that isn't modular ;)

Yeah, you can add either two interfaces with WIC-1T's or 4 with WIC-2T's. Be aware that you also need to be careful of cables interface type. If you with WIC-2T's, you'll need a smartserial cable.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    often the reason a cable won't fit on a lap top is because the adapter is too deep (or the laptop serial is too shallow). I have had to pop the connector portion of the adapter loose from its shell to get it to fit on a laptop.

Just a thought...

Yankee
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    been there
    rm -rf /
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    get the t-shirt? ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]