Average Cost of CCNA Training Program

jaslvgjaslvg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a recent grad from 4 year college major in MIS. I've decided that I wanted to get certified in CCNA. I've looked at different programs offered in my area. One is a private training center that offers 20 week course $6000 or one week bootcamp $3000. Another option is through a community college that costs less but takes longer to complete. What is a reasonable cost for CCNA?

I don't have any experience in IT/Networking field icon_cry.gif. So wonder if this CCNA path would be a good fit for me. I'd like to hear from your opinions and experiences. Thank you.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Self study or find a local community college. 6000 is too much. You could probably do it for 1000 or so.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's a ton of different training options. We can show you ways to learn the material at pretty much no cost except for the exam, training that costs tens of thousands of dollars, and every price point in between. How do you learn best and what are you able to invest in your training? You'll find people here who went the community college courses route, and others who self studied with different combinations of books, videos, and used equipment. Though I can tell you that if you have little or no experience with Cisco gear, a one week bootcamp will probably be a waste of time for you. Thats just not enough time to learn everything.

If you're looking to get into networking, the CCNA is a good starting point.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be bluntly honest, the CCNA isn't something you can become fluent in with a week's bootcamp. The amount of coverage is quite broad these days and it's apparently a lot harder than it used to be a decade ago. If you have a thousand to spare, I'd get a couple of books, maybe a CBT, and buy some used routers and switches (2611XM, 2950). That will give you a much better hands-on value for your time and effort. Bootcamps will fly through the info and you only have a week to ask the instructor questions. There are forums (like this and Cisco's) set up specifically for aspiring students where experienced professionals (including CCIEs) are willing to help out and answer questions.

I worked with Cisco gear for years (although not really that in-depth) until I decided to take a CCNA bootcamp (at a discount) last year. After the bootcamp, I still had to study for a solid month before attempting the exam.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Self-study

Around $300 - $400 for the lab equipments
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    i would say to go for a plus and net plus first maybe using mike meyer's books and professor messer's videos

Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest either self study or the community college route. However, I think the college is the best of the two options. Once you complete one semester, you have access to the online curriculum forever, which can be a huge help later on.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Self-study books: between $31.45 to $33.00
    Recommended lab equipment: under $500
    Emulation software for the Cisco IOS, used even by CCIE candidates: $0
    Taking the thousands of dollars you saved and applying them to future exams, books, classes, and some well-deserved R&R after you pass your test(s): Priceless.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    High school netacad classes, a book and GNS3/packet tracer. I'd estimate it at... $350 and alot of time. Wait, $400... can't forget about my practice tests! Thought I didn't get as much hands on time as I should have, but I have made up for it now.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tearofs wrote: »
    Self-study

Around $300 - $400 for the lab equipments

No need to pay when you can use Free CCNA Workbook
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mgeorge wrote: »
    No need to pay when you can use Free CCNA Workbook
    Man, what I wouldn't have given for that site when I was studying for my CCNA. Any chance you're going to put together something like that for the CCNP? :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    Lab 300
    Book 50
    test 125

475 total It's all about the labs
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For CCNA self-study I'd say:
    Lab $200-$300
    Books $100
    Test(s) $250

A 4 semester Cisco Network Academy program stuffed into 2 Community College Semesters depends on your local school costs + books + lab fee + student fees. Mine was around $1200ish.

Bootcamps or the Official Cisco Partner Training can be between $2000-$6000. You'd usually still have to do lots of study and preparation (or already be working with Cisco equipment) to be able to keep up with the pace in the Classes/Bootcamp -- and you'd probably only choose this route if your employer was paying for it.

If you fall for one of those commercials were "you can earn the money you deserve" you'll be on the hook with student loans between $10,000 and $30,000 -- and will probably have lots of worthless certifications to show for it (since the schools will probably teach you the answers to the certifications and not the actual skills).

The "for profit schools" will probably set you back $30,000-$75,000, but if you're motivated and actually have an interested instructor you might be able to learn stuff and have access to a good lab (since a lot of your classmates will pass without even showing up to classes you'll have the lab to yourself most of the time). You'll at least have a degree to list list on your resume.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    in my country the ccna course cost is 1200 for 4 modules 3 months each
  • HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is a lot of good information already posted on this thread however I can add a couple of points not mentioned.

#1: How long does it take to learn all of the required CCNA material. It took me close to eight months via full time self study. Time is money!

#2: A "quality" training course may open some doors in terms of job offers and/or networking connections.