Host and guest OS ends up with same IP address

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
For some reason the host and guest OS ends up getting the same IP address sometimes, the connectivity mode in VMware workstation for the VM is bridged. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? Both browsers( Firefox and IE) on the host OS just give a blank page when this happens(glad I found out today what's causing it.)

UPDATE: after I rebooted the host and guest have different IP's but I can't ping the guest

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    For some reason the host and guest OS ends up getting the same IP address sometimes, the connectivity mode in VMware workstation for the VM is bridged. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? Both browsers( Firefox and IE) on the host OS just give a blank page when this happens(glad I found out today what's causing it.)
    How are the IPs configured? DHCP? If both are DHCP, it should not happen unless there's a problem with the DHCP server. If one is static, make sure it's IP is outside the DHCP address pool, or just configure both with DHCP, or configure both with (different) static IPs.
    exampasser wrote: »
    UPDATE: after I rebooted the host and guest have different IP's but I can't ping the guest
    Is there a firewall enabled on the guest? Can you log into the guest and get out to the network?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How are the IPs configured? DHCP? If both are DHCP, it should not happen unless there's a problem with the DHCP server. If one is static, make sure it's IP is outside the DHCP address pool, or just configure both with DHCP, or configure both with (different) static IPs.

Is there a firewall enabled on the guest? Can you log into the guest and get out to the network?

Yes, both are DHCP.

I temporarily turned off the firewall on both the host and guest but no luck, the guest can access the Internet.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I swapped out routers and I'm having no networking problems.