Are there any tips for studying the Network+ exam?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Are there any tips for studying the Network+ exam? Studying for the A+ exam seemed so much easier, because you can touch and feel the equipment. There seems to be so much memorization for the Network+ exam that it can seem daunting at times. So far, I have passed all the lab Sim Network+ video series sections. Now I just have to take all the tests and the certification test at the end of the video series. I have made some flash cards on flash card exchange, which does help, but at times it feels like it’s not enough.
Here’s what I’m doing:
Read the Mike Meyers books Network+ taking notes, while reading each chapter
Took the measure up test got a 56% and a 60%
Went through the Network+ lab sim video series
Made a few flash cards
I have a train signal vidoe I need to finish watching for the Network+
Any tips for memorizing all the cable standards, and things you need to know for the exam?
I really want to take this exam in October..

So far my biggest struggles are subnetting, converting to binary, and cable types/distances...
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Know the OSI model
    Know your ports
    Know the cables/distances

converting to binary takes a little practice as does subnetting
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to make charts of all the standards, ports, OSI model, etc while working on this cert. It helped it stick in my mind.

You could find a smaller tech shop and see if they will give you some cables, old equipment to play with. Sometimes looking at the actual ethernet, fiber cables while memorizing the standards helps.

I think it was Lord Flashheart who had a nice subnetting thread, that helped some other people.
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    earweed wrote: »
    Know the OSI model
    Know your ports
    Know the cables/distances

converting to binary takes a little practice as does subnetting

Ditto to what earweed said, however, my instructor did tell us not to worry about subnetting on our exam. Still good to know though going forward. Wish you well and you will do fine.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He'll need to know subnetting eventually so why not at least learn the basics of it. I didn't really learn it for the Net+ but had to learn it for the 70-642.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    He'll need to know subnetting eventually so why not at least learn the basics of it. I didn't really learn it for the Net+ but had to learn it for the 70-642.

+1. Its better to know it than end up on the test going "huh?" if it comes up.