Options

50 person VoIP network

HackMyBallsHackMyBalls Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
This isn't exactly a CCNA-V or CCVP question, but it's certainly related. For those who have done these sorts of large deployments your input would be greatly appreciated.

Essentially, I want to deploy 35 phones for our internal staff and another 15 phones for our half dozen tenants. The tenants won't need any access to our internal network so that means one big VLAN for our 25-person staff (25 phones for each staff member + 10 phones for conference rooms, kitchen, storage, etc. = 35), and probably an individual VLAN for each of the 6 tenants (2-3 phones per tenant) since none of them actually work with each other none of them would want packets broadcast on their network from another tenant. Chime in here if I'm already off-base.

We have two 3560G switches which are PoE capable, and right now we're thinking of going with 7942G phones. Since they're only FastEthernet though I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to go for the 7945G phones with Gigabit as a long-term investment since we very rarely upgrade phones (as in every 15 years). In fact, since we do a lot of file copying from PC to NAS, and since our PC would be plugged directly into the 7942G phones, limiting ourselves to 100Mbps seems pretty silly if we're only talking an extra $3000 for GbE as a 15 year investment.

We'd also be upgrading our router to a 2921 with Call Manager Express, which as far as I know goes up to 100 phones, more than enough for the foreseeable future (worse case we can upgrade to Call Manager Business Edition in the far off future). Our service provider for these 50 extensions is saying they offer SIP trunking and potential for 48 simultaneous calls (VoIP compressed via G.729 to 32Kbps over 24 T1 channels). Incoming calls are free, outgoing minutes uncertain right now but the final cost ends up being just $500/month which seems crazy good. I am concerned about uptime and since this is a router with no redundancy should it fail, and since our phones haven't gone down really, well, ever in 20+ years, redundant links (hell, even POTS lines?) would be in order. Though I'm not certain about our failover service options yet.

So bottom line is this; any suggestions for anything I've said here? :D

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Sounds like a cool network. You will probably want to invest in a Unity Express for voicemail and IVR.

If you have a T1 line, a physical T1 line, that should be pretty reliable -- no need for more. I have no idea how reliable the SIP provider or your ISP is, but a T1 should be pretty dependable.

If you don't want to invest in gigabit phones, you can run 2 network lines to each desk and keep them seperate. On the other hand, gigabit is good, but what do your users do? Gigabit won't make Microsoft Outlook run any faster :) So it depends on what they do with it.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In 1998, Gig was released. So it has been 12 years since this revolution, and already 10 gig and more are being implemented. So 15 years from now I think if you don't have gig networking you would probably be behind the criteria.

Then again, it depends on the need of your network. But if I was investing for 15 years, I would get gig.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.